I have an HP Windows Mixed Reality headset. Got questions?-robo-holly.jpg

It's here! The Windows Mixed Reality Dev Kit from Microsoft! I'm only an hour into using it, so if you have questions now is the time to ask. I'll be answering from inside the headset for as long as I can!
    fdruid likes this.
    08-03-2017 01:04 PM
    Well my first question would be is this the replacement for Hololens? Or is this an additional product? How do they compare? I guess that's actually 3 questions, lol
    08-03-2017 03:42 PM
    Well my first question would be is this the replacement for Hololens? Or is this an additional product? How do they compare? I guess that's actually 3 questions, lol
    This is a VR headset, full immersion. The Windows Mixed Reality Ecosystem is all about VR and AR together, using the same tracking mechanisms. I can walk around like I would in Hololens without any outside trackers. The only functional difference is I am tethered to my PC.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-03-2017 05:51 PM
    How comfortable is the actual headset? It looks more streamlined than others, i'm wondering if it less heavy out from your face.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-03-2017 07:20 PM
    Wow that's great!

My questions:
    1. Hardware specs?
    2. How well the inside out tracking works so far?
    3. In VR which known device could be the equal and the same for AR as you can tell?
    4. Will it be one of those ~$300 headsets?
    5. Using the Windows MR change something or it's just like a virtual desk?

Well to much questions for one message
    pkcable likes this.
    08-03-2017 09:02 PM
    How comfortable is the actual headset? It looks more streamlined than others, i'm wondering if it less heavy out from your face.
    There's a foam gasket around the eye socket that could probably offer a little more padding, but it's not pressed tight onto your eyes so that feeling is mostly based on how you anchor the headset to your skull.

This headset uses a halo-style mount to secure to your head, which means there's a single plastic band that you tighten from forehead to the knot at the back. There's very little pressure on the face, which is great.
    pkcable and fdruid like this.
    08-04-2017 06:10 AM
    Wow that's great!

My questions:
    1. Hardware specs?
    2. How well the inside out tracking works so far?
    3. In VR which known device could be the equal and the same for AR as you can tell?
    4. Will it be one of those ~$300 headsets?
    5. Using the Windows MR change something or it's just like a virtual desk?

Well to much questions for one message
    1. This headset has a pair of 1440p displays with fresnel lenses and Microsoft's Inside-Out tracking system.

2. Exactly the same as Hololens, which is to say very well done. The head tracking is smooth, and you set up a boundary when first setting up the headset so you don't wander into walls.

3. Hololens would be the closest AR equivalent. The headset is about as comfortable as PlayStation VR but feels as accurate and sharp as an HTC Vive when properly calibrated.

4. Yes!

5. It's more like a virtual house, with apps mounted on the walls everywhere. I'm still learning as I go.
    Chemy JMHT and fdruid like this.
    08-04-2017 06:14 AM
    This headset APPEARS to be more consumer focus than the hololens, which costs 3000 dollars (perhaps less if/when it actually comes to market). Do you think this is so? Will this price more towards the consumer market and be in the say 500 dollar range? Or will this be a higher end product?
    08-04-2017 07:46 AM
    This headset APPEARS to be more consumer focus than the hololens, which costs 3000 dollars (perhaps less if/when it actually comes to market). Do you think this is so? Will this price more towards the consumer market and be in the say 500 dollar range? Or will this be a higher end product?
    This is going to be in the $300 range, absolutely aimed at consumers.
    pkcable and iThunderbirt like this.
    08-04-2017 02:34 PM
    I actually got frozen for your answer Russell! this is too great to be truth but I trust you, so it will be pretty amazing, what a good future we will have ahead!
    iThunderbirt and fdruid like this.
    08-05-2017 08:02 AM
    I actually got frozen for your answer Russell! this is too great to be truth but I trust you, so it will be pretty amazing, what a good future we will have ahead!
    Agreed!
    08-08-2017 08:10 PM
    Very cool! Does resemble the PSVR and I like the Robocop look

Looking at the pic, I presume it has a connection for a 3.5mm headset. Is the 3.5mm jack audio only or is it a TRRS connector (audio/voice)?
    08-08-2017 08:19 PM
    It makes me think Microsoft made a huge discover about how to do it right in order to achieve this price tag and I think the inside out tracking.

Cheaper and better than the Actual HMD is simply amazing.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    08-09-2017 07:43 AM
    It is TRRC. In fact, they expect you to use a headset with microphone because Cortana powers part of the setup.
    08-12-2017 05:20 PM
    I've found the experience to be a bit below Oculus in terms of quality. There seems to be a bit more latency in the tracking, and the FOV or lens distortion filters aren't set quite right, as there is some "swimming" around the edges as I move my head. I am sensitive to things that make me motion sick, so it may not be a dealbreaker for most. I have only been "head in" for a few minutes, due to higher priorities at work. Once I get the clearance from my boss, I will be taking the HP unit home for a weekend, and will be able to play with it more then.
    fdruid likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:24 PM
    And for that @noirsoft we are jealous hahaha

Great hopefully you will be able to do it soon and give us your impressions and also maybe trying with another person to see how reacts to it.

What you said about Cortana is kind of nice, I think it's a long way to really achieve a Jarvis like experience but in the right path.
    08-12-2017 09:14 PM
    I've found the experience to be a bit below Oculus in terms of quality. There seems to be a bit more latency in the tracking, and the FOV or lens distortion filters aren't set quite right, as there is some "swimming" around the edges as I move my head. I am sensitive to things that make me motion sick, so it may not be a dealbreaker for most. I have only been "head in" for a few minutes, due to higher priorities at work. Once I get the clearance from my boss, I will be taking the HP unit home for a weekend, and will be able to play with it more then.
    BIG welcome to our community!
    08-14-2017 07:58 AM
    I'll be answering from inside the headset for as long as I can!
    Nice! How's the frame rate stability and sickness thing? Have you tried any game or anything besides Cliff's House?
    10-17-2017 10:51 AM
    I'll be answering from inside the headset for as long as I can!
    Nice! How's the frame rate stability and sickness thing? Have you tried any game or anything besides Cliff's House?
    10-17-2017 10:51 AM
    Is there an app to display 360 photos and videos in 2D and 3D/Stereo?
    10-18-2017 10:17 AM