Has the HoloLens been made available to the public yet?
    07-19-2016 09:48 AM
    Not exactly, it IS available but is restricted to developers. You need to meet certain criterion to qualify to purchase one for $3000.00 from MicroSoft, you can also find them on Amazon and ebay for more IF you can't meet the "developer" requirements. HOWEVER if you wait for the public release it will probably be cheaper. (PROBABLY, but MS has been tight-lipped about price)

Everything you need to know about Microsoft Hololens | VRHeads

Introducing the Microsoft Hololens

Hololens on Amazon
    Not exactly, it IS available but is restricted to developers. You need to meet certain criterion to qualify to purchase one for $3000.00 from MicroSoft, you can also find them on Amazon and ebay for more IF you can't meet the "developer" requirements. HOWEVER if you wait for the public release it will probably be cheaper. (PROBABLY, but MS has been tight-lipped about price)

Everything you need to know about Microsoft Hololens | VRHeads

Introducing the Microsoft Hololens

Hololens on Amazon
    07-22-2016 09:47 AM
    I'm a dev and I've been having difficulty getting one.
    07-27-2016 11:28 AM
    I'm a dev and I've been having difficulty getting one.
    Supply may be limited at this point. I've seen them on Amazon for around 5k which is insane in my opinion. 3k is crazy, but 5k WOW, BUT if you can justify that with potential game sales it might be worth it.
    07-27-2016 11:36 AM
    I imagine they could do other things while they wait. For anyone except a large studio (which wouldn't bother because the market is tiny) that is just not reasonable money.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-27-2016 07:43 PM
    Yes and no. It's one thing to have a product with a definite scope and market plan (good point about a small, nebulous market) and another to just want to experiment. This isn't a consumer product and won't be anytime soon.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-28-2016 03:06 AM
    Yes and no. It's one thing to have a product with a definite scope and market plan (good point about a small, nebulous market) and another to just want to experiment. This isn't a consumer product and won't be anytime soon.
    I think you are right. And while I believe it WILL come down in cost I still believe this is always going to be a fairly high end product. Perhaps they will develop a cheaper, lessor alternative version for the mass market?
    07-28-2016 08:00 AM