I am a windows phone user and was wondering if there are any VR headsets compatible with windows phones. I guess we would need apps and games as well.
      Hugh Mongus likes this.
      10-19-2016 05:24 AM
      The thought didn't come to mind about Windows Phone and VR. But, it seems a Google Cardboard HMD is the option you are looking for.

I also found this link that list some VR apps in the Windows Store.

Also, here is a link for some Google Cardboard options.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
      Davis P B likes this.
      10-19-2016 06:10 AM
      I am a windows phone user and was wondering if there are any VR headsets compatible with windows phones. I guess we would need apps and games as well.
      I'm guessing cardboard since I don't know of any VR headsets made for windows phone in mind or any platform for it like daydream.
      iThunderbirt likes this.
      10-19-2016 06:12 AM
      Choices for Windows phone are extremely limited unless Microsoft itself decides to jump into the VR game
      10-20-2016 08:30 AM
      Depends on what phone, I don't think the 950 or 950 xl have any, but the idol 4s comes with it
      Chemy JMHT likes this.
      10-22-2016 12:13 AM
      Well, I was thinking about getting a lumia 950, the oled qHD display was nice and I heard there was some compatibility between Win10 phone and android ads... too bad VR does not seem to be supported...
      11-02-2016 05:21 PM
      Depends on what phone, I don't think the 950 or 950 xl have any, but the idol 4s comes with it
      Yep. Alcatel Idol 4S. It's only available through T-Mobile at the moment, I believe it comes unlocked though. I don't know how many VR apps there are in the Windows store, but I'm betting there aren't many.
      12-06-2016 08:20 PM
      Alcatel Idol 4S. It's only available through T-Mobile at the moment, I believe it comes unlocked though.
      Idol 4S Windows is locked to T-Mo if purchased through them.

An update to WDRT on 12/12/2016 added the Idol 4S in two flavors: T-Mo and Open Market. So it would appear that the T-Mo exclusivity will end soon and factory unlocked Idol 4S Windows will go on sale. I'm betting it appears on Microsoft Store site after MWC 2017.

Windows Phone VR Apps
      12-30-2016 11:31 AM
      Just pulled the trigger on an Alcatel Idol 4S Windows. It's hardly used, comes complete with the VR and all...

Should arrive quickly. I'll post back.
      01-12-2017 12:56 AM
      So, I've had the Idol 4S Windows and headset for a few days and have had a chance to play with the VR a couple of times...

I started playing with VR using an Idol 3 (5.5) Android phone and a generic, fits any phone from 4" - 6" screen headset.

I think the headset Alcatel gives with this unit is worth using. Vs the generic I get:

• Custom fit to my phone and a secure hold on the device (as opposed to a sticky pad)
      • No light leak (the other did)
      • Dual capacitive buttons vs one mag switch (the mag switch could get lost)
      • Cable ports for charging and headphones is spot on (the generic is slightly off and only has a port on one side)
      • More comfort
      • Wider field of view (the generic is pretty narrow)
      • Optics seem more premium
      • I can leave the dust cover off and there is no light leak
      • I can leave the dust cover off and expose the camera for AR (the generic I have provides no camera port) - for a quick, trippy AR (Augmented Reality) experience try Real Life Lag
      • I can leave the dust cover off and vent the whole back of the phone (on the generic there are vent slots, but a large part of the phone's back surface is stuck to a pad so heat builds up quicker)

The Idol 4S Windows is a much better VR engine than the Idol 3 and the headset is much more suitable than a generic "Cardboard" style device (even though it technically still classifies as "Cardboard" I think). Maybe closer to a Gear VR since it is proprietary. I'm a bit fuzzy on this. Point is, it's worth doing with this setup.
      krisguy likes this.
      01-15-2017 03:30 PM
      Well later here but back in topic, I was doing an Amazon Search I found out that a lot of Windows Phones (well many of those still on market) are VR compatible, because it depends more of the App than the phone, most of the sensors needed are inside of those phone, for the Headset, as many said, a Google Cardboard compatible Headset case there are a lot of options there, but the disadvantage is the lack of apps for Windows Phones right now.
      RumoredNow likes this.
      01-15-2017 08:10 PM
      Glad it worked out for you, Rumored. Davis, what Windows phone are you using?
      RumoredNow likes this.
      01-15-2017 09:03 PM
      The Idol 4S Windows is a much better VR engine than the Idol 3 and the headset is much more suitable than a generic "Cardboard" style device (even though it technically still classifies as "Cardboard" I think). Maybe closer to a Gear VR since it is proprietary. I'm a bit fuzzy on this. Point is, it's worth doing with this setup.
      JUst wondering, how many apps you tried? is there "enough" apps to consider it a good device for VR?
      RumoredNow likes this.
      01-16-2017 01:00 PM
      JUst wondering, how many apps you tried? is there "enough" apps to consider it a good device for VR?
      The device itself comes with a suite including Fibrum's Zombie Hunter VR and Captain Fellcraft VR.

On one pass through the store I was easily able to add 5 free apps without trying hard:
      • Crazy Swing
      • InMind
      • Mad Race
      • Real Life Lag
      • Zen VR

I've not tried all of those yet. Also there are paid apps I'll want to come back and look at later.

Obviously, there isn't a plethora such as you would find on Android. There was a pleasant surprise for me when I started browsing to see how many were present. Fibrum seems to really be in support.

In the Creators Update I believe that Holographic APIs will proliferate further. (I was looking for a WC blog article I scanned past a couple weeks ago, but now I can't seem to find it.) I think that AR is going to get a big boost on the platform soon. Hopefully with the software bridges, more Android Devs will start bringing their Apps over in the near future and I'm pretty sure that is exactly what Fibrum is doing: simply porting over their Android stuff.

Is there enough? Enough for me as a dabbler. Maybe not for the hard-core, but then those users will soon migrate to PC and Gamer Box driven units anyway, won't they?
      Chemy JMHT likes this.
      01-16-2017 02:03 PM
      Yes that's more than enough most of the times, and you are right, right now there is a real boost for PC VR, so many great features for the PC VR gamer.
      01-16-2017 04:32 PM
      The Creator's Update will make it easier for AR than VR. I'm starting to see more on MSDN about Holo* APIs than anything else.
      RumoredNow likes this.
      01-16-2017 05:36 PM
      In the Creators Update I believe that Holographic APIs will proliferate further.
      The Creator's Update will make it easier for AR than VR. I'm starting to see more on MSDN about Holo* APIs than anything else.
      Thanks for the confirmation. Do let us know if you or any other devs have anything special in the works you might be aware of. I'd like to see W10M get folded into the Holosphere.
      Last edited by RumoredNow; 01-18-2017 at 02:46 AM.
      01-17-2017 04:45 PM
      So, I've had the Idol 4S Windows and headset for a few days and have had a chance to play with the VR a couple of times...

I started playing with VR using an Idol 3 (5.5) Android phone and a generic, fits any phone from 4" - 6" screen headset.

I think the headset Alcatel gives with this unit is worth using. Vs the generic I get:

• Custom fit to my phone and a secure hold on the device (as opposed to a sticky pad)
      • No light leak (the other did)
      • Dual capacitive buttons vs one mag switch (the mag switch could get lost)
      • Cable ports for charging and headphones is spot on (the generic is slightly off and only has a port on one side)
      • More comfort
      • Wider field of view (the generic is pretty narrow)
      • Optics seem more premium
      • I can leave the dust cover off and there is no light leak
      • I can leave the dust cover off and expose the camera for AR (the generic I have provides no camera port) - for a quick, trippy AR (Augmented Reality) experience try Real Life Lag
      • I can leave the dust cover off and vent the whole back of the phone (on the generic there are vent slots, but a large part of the phone's back surface is stuck to a pad so heat builds up quicker)

Is there enough VR content in the Windows Phone store to make the purchase worth it?
      01-17-2017 07:16 PM
      01-17-2017 11:35 PM