I have always heard people saying that the difference is "subtle", but the Rift wins in terms of clarity and SDE.
    Then I bumped into this video and it changed everything:

The SDE on the Vive (and this video is the closest one could get to seeing the SDE on both without actually trying the headsets) is much, much worse.
    I would like to hear from people who've tried both headsets, and that can confirm that the difference is indeed that drastic.
    I am flight siming a lot and I plan on using many games with Vorpx, so the tracking and roomscale is not the only thing that matters to me-and if this video represents the real SDE, there is no way I will get close to the Vive.
    Any input would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
    01-05-2017 09:20 AM
    I think the Rift looks better to the naked eye!
    01-05-2017 09:28 AM
    Have you had the chance to test out both headsets, or are you commenting on what you see in this video?
    01-05-2017 09:37 AM
    Have you had the chance to test out both headsets, or are you commenting on what you see in this video?
    Strictly on the video, I only have a Cardboard (Mattel View-Master) and the Google Daydream View.
    01-05-2017 11:24 AM
    I am really torn between the Vive and the Rift.
    The visuals on the Rift seem to be WAY better, as opposed to the people saying that the difference is very subtle, but everyone who's tried both systems claims that the tracking on the Rift seems a little "floaty", while the Vive's tracking is perfect.
    Hard, hard decision!
    Anyone who's tried both headsets and can comment if the SDE difference is indeed like it seems in the video?
    pkcable likes this.
    01-05-2017 12:01 PM
    There is a thread and a blog here about how to get VR demos. Maybe try each yourself?
    01-06-2017 07:41 AM
    Sadly havent tried them myself but video shows way better sde on rift. Though I have been told that the vive is slightly larger and way brighter making that one reason you can see the SDE more, technically they are very similiar screens far as im aware spec wise so it's possible. I think either set you will adapt long as you don't really look for it won't be a issue.
    01-06-2017 08:30 PM
    People are saying that since you move more with the Vive you notice the SDE less. it makes a lot of sense (have you ever tried looking through a net sitting still, and then moving your head and seeing everything much clearer?)
    01-07-2017 06:26 AM
    The order in which we tried headsets were the Rift than the Vive then the Rift again. With a week or two between each. And we noticed that the Rift looked more clear overall and I think that was due to the less obvious SDE on the Rift from the Vive. Since you will be doing Flight Sims I would lean towards the Rift because its clear in the ways that make guage reading a little easier then the Vive as a result of this.

I haven't had any trackign issues with the Rift. Any difference people comment on is probably so minute that you will likely be happy either way.

This guys video kind of mirror my own opinions.
    01-07-2017 07:12 AM
    I have seen this video already-It seems interesting that he actually prefers the Vive's display to the Rift. He seems to go against the popular opinion.
    Considering his opinion the Vive may even be better for flight sims.
    krisguy likes this.
    01-08-2017 08:45 AM
    I have seen this video already-It seems interesting that he actually prefers the Vive's display to the Rift. He seems to go against the popular opinion.
    Try it all if it's possible for you, if you were closer I will give you the chance to try the Rift and for sure another one the ViVE, I can say much about that because I only have Rift and honestly for me works perfect, but it can be because I never knew better.
    GustavMahler likes this.
    01-08-2017 09:20 PM
    Try it all if it's possible for you, if you were closer I will give you the chance to try the Rift and for sure another one the ViVE, I can say much about that because I only have Rift and honestly for me works perfect, but it can be because I never knew better.
    Thank you very much for the offer! I don't think it would be possible though since I am located in Israel..
    In my case I just have to choose one headset and hope for good
    01-09-2017 11:26 AM
    I went with the Vive because I find the tracking offsets the SDE of the display when it comes to my experience. I had more issues with dizziness and nausea with Rift because of tracking and movement in the store demos that I tried when I got my Vive.

I'm going to say this to anyone that wants a headset that is PC based: Try it out first. Nothing compares to the real life use case for your personal taste and condition.
    01-09-2017 01:34 PM
    I use it for Elite: Dangerous and it works well. There is also a Russian made flight sim and a mod for Flight Simulator X that work well on Vive also. (personal note: I need a good flight stick).
    01-09-2017 01:35 PM
    Thank you very much for the offer! I don't think it would be possible though since I am located in Israel..
    In my case I just have to choose one headset and hope for good
    I'm not close to the "main" group of people here also, but maybe there someone here from there.
    01-09-2017 03:36 PM