I would like to purchase a virtual reality headset to test out for a few days. What's a good set I can get without spending a lot of money? Does the initial start up cost a lot?
    06-28-2016 01:30 PM
    You CAN get VR on the cheap, as long as you have an Android or iPhone, you can get a Google Cardboard, or compatible, they cost usually less than 30 dollars and can sometimes be found for free. Companies often give them away as promos, example the phone maker OnePlus has done this twice already, plus Verizon did it once. The next level up is the GearVR and several others in that range which also work with either Samsung phone, or other smart phone, those cost 100-200 hundred. The GearVR works only with Samsung, but there are a couple clone models that work with other Android and iPhone. And of course you can go high end with the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Razer OSVR, and maybe others which cost 500-1000, PLUS require an expensive PC. Mac not supported. Game manufacturer are also looking to get in to VR, Microsoft with the Hololens and Sony with the Playstaion VR, these too are fairly high end.
    You CAN get VR on the cheap, as long as you have an Android or iPhone, you can get a Google Cardboard, or compatible, they cost usually less than 30 dollars and can sometimes be found for free. Companies often give them away as promos, example the phone maker OnePlus has done this twice already, plus Verizon did it once. The next level up is the GearVR and several others in that range which also work with either Samsung phone, or other smart phone, those cost 100-200 hundred. The GearVR works only with Samsung, but there are a couple clone models that work with other Android and iPhone. And of course you can go high end with the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Razer OSVR, and maybe others which cost 500-1000, PLUS require an expensive PC. Mac not supported. Game manufacturer are also looking to get in to VR, Microsoft with the Hololens and Sony with the Playstaion VR, these too are fairly high end.
    KermEd likes this.
    06-29-2016 11:15 AM
    You could start with a low cost VR first, let us say below $30
    There are lots of the good quality headset sell on amazon.com
    Anything that uses a phone for the virtual reality does not need to be over $30 in all honesty
    you could take a look at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1T0HE6...UvrUvbUpU50224
    pkcable and LezCronut like this.
    07-26-2016 05:11 AM
    Hololens isn't VR, it's augmented reality. Different technology; different uses.
    09-08-2016 10:06 PM
    Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Wired had an interesting article a while back on how Carboard is actually really bad for the VR industry as it's so assessable (costing free-$30), but provides such a poor user experience.

Beyond the quality of the lenses, one of the most important factors in a headset are the built-in sensors used for head tracking and how those sync with the hardware of the device powering the unit (ie for mobile VR = the phone). The better the headtracking the less nausious you will feel in VR (put in its most simple sense).
    LezCronut likes this.
    09-15-2016 10:47 AM
    I would like to purchase a virtual reality headset to test out for a few days. What's a good set I can get without spending a lot of money? Does the initial start up cost a lot?
    Good question.

Have a look at "Google Cardboard".
    If you want to purchase a headset that requires a phone.
    a OnePlus 3, I think they give a VR headset with it.
    Or a Alcatel Idol 4s comes with a VR headset if I remember correctly
    09-15-2016 03:00 PM
    Ok nobody here if talking of the Asians options like the LETV which produces all in one headsets from $80.

Again you get what you pay, it's not as good as a Vive or Rift, but it supposes to be better than a Gear VR or similar.

Links to buy from GearBest:
    http://m.gearbest.com/all-in-one-vr-c_12107/ (mobile)
    http://forums.vrheads.com/e?link=htt...token=O9FEGCsf (desktop)
    09-15-2016 03:28 PM
    For premium, PS4 and PSVR will be the cheapest option. $700- $800. If you go used with some gear, you can do a little cheaper.
    09-29-2016 02:50 PM
    If you just want a VR to try out with your existing phone I would reccomend getting the I AM Cardboard VR for under 20 bucks its great to give VR a go

I AM CARDBOARD VR CARDBOARD KIT Version 2 - I AM Cardboard
    10-13-2016 11:17 PM