What are your thoughts on this video?

10-22-2016 05:28 AM
    Complete clickbait. VR is not a mature tech, its really just starting now. Way too soon to have any doomsday predictions
    krisguy likes this.
    10-22-2016 10:30 AM
    The tech for vr gaming is pretty bulky and tied down, but as it will improve, cost will also improve, take the new Google Day view, it's $80 and looks like it's going to be great.
    10-22-2016 04:27 PM
    Personally, price is indeed a limiting factor but the fact that VR platforms right now are closer to closed gardens than to walled gardens than to open ecosystems doesn't help either.
    10-23-2016 03:23 AM
    It's a shame because I would really like to explore it beyond the Google Cardboard. Unfortunately , even after buying the handset, I would still need to buy a better computer. Same with my Nexus 6P, I need at least the Pixel to run Daydream.
    10-23-2016 03:46 AM
    Complete clickbait. VR is not a mature tech, its really just starting now. Way too soon to have any doomsday predictions
    I guess he was expecting that VR should have just skyrocketed into the mainstream.

I think the price is the limiting factor, especially for high-end VR.
    10-23-2016 05:07 AM
    They make some valid points but yeah the title is click bait.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    10-23-2016 06:05 AM
    I guess he was expecting that VR should have just skyrocketed into the mainstream.

I think the price is the limiting factor, especially for high-end VR.
    It's really just a very far fetched point they're trying to make. I mean, the Oculus is less than a year old! These are the type of people who would have said the original Iphone would fail because it was twice as expensive as other phones.
    If they are right in the end it will be by accident, not because of their amazing foresight!
    Markxmlx likes this.
    10-23-2016 12:24 PM
    I disagree, you may call it click bait but Linus Tech Tips actually has some great reviews and tips and I find them to be very entertaining, I don't mind the short ads in fact it's like a recommendation in a way, they don't need clickbait, have a look at how many subs they have. As for VR just starting, that all depends on how you look at time, the Rift has been on the market now for more than a year or so and the cost has been prohibitive for most not to mention like he said $1600 is a bitter pill to swallow than again upgrades cost less, if you have a rig that can be upgraded for VR, unlike myself and others as for the VR Gear also on the market more than a year or so and much more affordable that is if you have a high end Samsung phone, again unlike myself and others but as he stressed there are a lot more high end phones than desktops, I hate to pretty much regurgitate what he said but it's true, that's not to say VR is dead what he is saying is that VR Desktop is exactly alive, I think that's why Oculus is now talking about a more affordable self contained headset, lower price and no wires, than theres HTC Vive which he didn't mention but it too is again cost prohibitive and again most people don't have the specs to run it, so unless you go to console like the PSVR, desktop is not an option for the average consumer as for doomsday predictions I didn't here of any which leads me to wonder if you watched the whole video?
    Last edited by Sim_8_3; 10-24-2016 at 12:45 AM.
    10-24-2016 12:29 AM
    The tech for vr gaming is pretty bulky and tied down, but as it will improve, cost will also improve, take the new Google Day view, it's $80 and looks like it's going to be great.
    That's my thoughts pretty much, developers have gotten the feedback that not only are these headsets cost prohibitive but they are tied down and now look what Oculus has in the works. still like he said a phone is not tied down, just can't deliver the same quality as an Oculus Rift.
    10-24-2016 12:31 AM
    OK, the first thing, it's outdated, Daydream is moving the market, and the PlayStation VR too, so taking in consideration that the Pixel's are new and nobody has one well with the PlayStation is another story, we are talking of more than 40 millions of PS4 sold before of the launch of the PSVR.

It changes the market, maybe not as much as I/we want, but it does a change, the excitement of the PSVR is raising the rumors that XBOX will be Oculus Rift Compatible, that means you may be able to get a cheaper device to enter the high end VR world, and the fact that more companies are investing in marketing for their products, and the huge amount of ads for VR will help a little.

It's true the price of the actual package for VR is high and there is a little market for it, but the demand is raising, iMax just a weeks ago started receiving their VR HMD from Acer, Nasa is using VR and AR to train Astronauts, and so on with a lot of companies and places implementing the technology for their researches.

I think VR is not moving at the speed we all want, but is not slowing the speed at all.
    10-24-2016 12:44 AM
    Thanks for sharing this video subscribe to Linus Tech Tips but I don't always get a chance to watch their videos, I don' think the title is misleading it says What Killed VR and then it says in the description "Has the diminished experience of mobile VR killed its bigger brother on the PC? Is cost the only factor affecting purchasing decisions? The answer may not be so simple..." So not misleading at all, it's a fact that more people have mobile VR than desktop VR and it's also a fact that the desktop counter top is cost prohibitive for most unless than got it as a gift or won it in a contest. So that pretty much "Kills" it for most
    10-24-2016 12:44 AM
    Personally, price is indeed a limiting factor but the fact that VR platforms right now are closer to closed gardens than to walled gardens than to open ecosystems doesn't help either.
    Are you referring to it not being affordable, limited software or both?
    10-24-2016 12:47 AM
    It's a shame because I would really like to explore it beyond the Google Cardboard. Unfortunately , even after buying the handset, I would still need to buy a better computer. Same with my Nexus 6P, I need at least the Pixel to run Daydream.
    If you mean the Google Cardboard concept that is now pretty much in every "headset" except for Gear VR and Day Dream than I guess so, but now those headsets have more than the original Google Carboard with the magnet it had and you can always pair up a Blue Tooth controller if you haven't tried that with your Nexus 6P, I think the big issue is the Processor power and screen AMOLED on the newer phones from what I have read really makes the difference, so if you have that you have a better picture than those who just regular HD screens. I guess when you refer to handset your talking about the Oculus or Vive? Than your in the same boat as most of us need to either buy a better computer or upgrade what you have if you can.
    10-24-2016 12:55 AM
    daydream looks to change Android into the go-to platform for VR on a "budget"
    10-24-2016 05:44 AM
    I disagree, you may call it click bait but Linus Tech Tips actually has some great reviews and tips and I find them to be very entertaining, I don't mind the short ads in fact it's like a recommendation in a way, they don't need clickbait, have a look at how many subs they have. As for VR just starting, that all depends on how you look at time, the Rift has been on the market now for more than a year or so and the cost has been prohibitive for most not to mention like he said $1600 is a bitter pill to swallow than again upgrades cost less, if you have a rig that can be upgraded for VR, unlike myself and others as for the VR Gear also on the market more than a year or so and much more affordable that is if you have a high end Samsung phone, again unlike myself and others but as he stressed there are a lot more high end phones than desktops, I hate to pretty much regurgitate what he said but it's true, that's not to say VR is dead what he is saying is that VR Desktop is exactly alive, I think that's why Oculus is now talking about a more affordable self contained headset, lower price and no wires, than theres HTC Vive which he didn't mention but it too is again cost prohibitive and again most people don't have the specs to run it, so unless you go to console like the PSVR, desktop is not an option for the average consumer as for doomsday predictions I didn't here of any which leads me to wonder if you watched the whole video?
    Clickbait is clickbait, don't care if it comes from Linus tech tips with millions of subscribers or from the Pope.

Technology is driven by the products that are on the high end, cutting edge. The gear VR was never a high end product.
    The Oculus Rift has been on the market since March 28, 2016 - so less than a year. Before that they were selling development kits which doesn't count as a consumer version. Otherwise, you would have to say that the consumer version of Google Glass has already been released for sale and canceled.
    The HTC Vive was released on 5 April 2016.
    Consumer VR is not mature tech.

The video's point (and yours) on the price being very high is wrong. What will make or break VR is the software available. If future games made for VR are just glorified tech demos like most are now, you can retail the Vive for $100 and make it run on a 5 year old desktop, it will just go the way of the Kinet.
    But if they make gaming experiences that are so unique that become "essential" and iconic, then you can sell headsets at the current prices and VR will take off.

So yeah, titling your video "What Killed VR?", only to conclude 8 mins later that "VR is not dead, but it had a false start" because "price" is a simplistic analysis, a waste of time and, yes, clickbait.
    10-24-2016 11:40 AM
    I'll be honest, I've never actually even tried VR. It does sound very interesting and I would love the mess around with it, but at this point it's not appealing enough for me to spend my money on it. As of now I'm pretty content with my traditional gaming.
    10-24-2016 10:29 PM
    I'll be honest, I've never actually even tried VR. It does sound very interesting and I would love the mess around with it, but at this point it's not appealing enough for me to spend my money on it. As of now I'm pretty content with my traditional gaming.
    You say that because you haven't tried lol

Well honestly is a totally different experience, but you give some good point to the Video, the people feels it's a lot of money just for VR, that feeling is justified right now because the technology is on the early stages, it has to be pricey to justify the investment on research and developing and also the lack of market right now.

If you have a chance with a friend or in an expo, try it, you won't be disappointed!

BTW Welcome to the Forum, there are a lot of opportunities around to get your hands in one device, right now just for being active in the forum you may win a PSVR (I won the last competition and I still can't believe it!).
    10-25-2016 12:06 AM
    With $800 I'd rather spend it on a more powerful computer or a new phone.

The price of a rift or vive need to come down. The spec requirements will fix themselves over time with Moore's Law.
    10-25-2016 05:16 AM
    PC vr will probably become $200 in the future
    Markxmlx likes this.
    10-25-2016 11:15 PM
    I think the biggest reason is cost. Not only do you need to buy the vr headset, you also need a computer with comparable hardware.
    Markxmlx likes this.
    10-26-2016 12:18 AM
    way too early to make a video on VR. It still is in its budding stage
    10-26-2016 02:20 AM
    I still game in the traditional sense but VR is already something I would miss if I couldn't go back to it.
    10-26-2016 04:55 AM
    I think the biggest reason is cost. Not only do you need to buy the vr headset, you also need a computer with comparable hardware.
    Consider also the fact that with the cost of the VR set like rift or vive you could get a GTX 1080 and game at 4k with it
    10-28-2016 03:39 AM
    I disagree, you may call it click bait but Linus Tech Tips actually has some great reviews and tips and I find them to be very entertaining, I don't mind the short ads in fact it's like a recommendation in a way, they don't need clickbait,?
    I have no idea if you are right or not, but if you are this video is not a good example. 1.5 minutes into an 8+ minute video and he hasn't started addressing the issue. But, it's clear that the title is not an anomaly - he manages to repeat "killed vr" more than once. And, that's just silly. The market may not be robust right now, but VR is far from dead.
    10-28-2016 03:01 PM
27 12