Folks,

Tonight I got to watch the FCB vs Real Madrid game live on the Next VR app on both the Samsung Gear VR AND the Google Daydream View. The experience was pretty much the same on both headsets. Well sort of. In the end I choose to watch most of the game on the Gear VR. Ok lets compare and contrast the headsets.

First up comfort level. The Daydream view headset was more comfortable on my head. The Gear VR was heavier, bulkier, and even after several strap adjustment still felt tight on my face. The Daydream with a quick adjustment felt VERY comfortable. Also I noticed I tend to sweat a bit more in the Gear VR. On the plus for the Gear VR focus can be adjusted!

OK speaking of focus and other adjustments and the overall interface itself i preferred the Gear VR. Although the Daydream View interface is not bad. I also prefer the Gear controller. Although I like that I can charge the Daydream controller and stay out of the "have to buy a battery" game that is the Gear VR.

The game itself. Well while it looked good in the Daydream on my Moto Z it looked better in the Gear VR on my S8. I'm not sure if the S8 has better resolution, but I suspect so. i will do a more fair check on this once the S8 has Daydream support. (coming soon they say! lol) In the end i went for the better interface and better picture and watch the whole second half of the game on the Gear VR.
    07-29-2017 09:46 PM
    It would see that a VR experience focused on only a few phones by one company would likely give a better experience. I will be very interested though to hear about the differences in Daydream and Gear VR when using the S8.
    07-31-2017 09:07 PM
    Does Daydream have the Intel True VR app? Live MLB would be another interesting comparison between the two platforms.
    08-01-2017 09:35 AM
    It would see that a VR experience focused on only a few phones by one company would likely give a better experience. I will be very interested though to hear about the differences in Daydream and Gear VR when using the S8.
    Does Daydream have the Intel True VR app? Live MLB would be another interesting comparison between the two platforms.
    Interestingly TODAY my S8 can officially support my Daydream and I can do a totally fair test of the platforms. I suspect that the S8 has better resolution than the Moto Z. But in any event NOW all things will be equal with the same phone being in each device! I will let you know how I make out! I'll check Next VR and Within which is available on both platforms. Unfortunately MLB.tv is a Daydream exclusive.
    08-01-2017 12:42 PM
    OH I love it
    08-18-2017 10:41 AM