This is either incredibly awesome or really bad for your vertigo and fear of heights.

Today Google announced their new Google Earth VR app for HTC Vive, which takes everyone's favorite way to waste time at the office to a new level. "With Earth VR, you can fly over a city, stand at the edge of a mountain, and even soar into space," according to the teaser video.

Featured locations include the Hoover Dam, Hong Kong Stadium, the Space Needle, the Roman Colosseum, the Matterhorn and Florence Cathedral. Don't miss the part where you can grab the sun and move it around in the sky to see your surroundings at different times in the day.

Beyond just looking awesome, there may be ways to integrate practical tools into the platform. For example, companies could offer a virtual tour of their local neighborhood, or users could link their own photos to specific places.

Get it here: https://vr.google.com/earth/

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/1...c-vive-release
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    11-16-2016 08:27 PM
    Grabbing it now.
    11-16-2016 10:21 PM
    THIS I like. This is the kind of the "fun educational concepts" I like about VR. If you don't have the means to travel the world this options offer to do so at a different perspective.

On a side note: In the video, after she puts on her HMD unit, we see planet earth the first thing that came to mind was "If that was me, seeing planet earth like that, the first think I would do would be..."
    Google Earth VR - Bringing the whole wide world to virtual reality-supermanflying.jpg

Bonus: Will give a like to the person who knows the move that pic is from
    Last edited by iThunderbirt; 11-16-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    Chemy JMHT and krisguy like this.
    11-16-2016 10:28 PM
    Grabbing it now.
    Please share your experience with us when you do try it. It really look like a lot of fun. Will be curious to know if you are able to travel and able to access information about what you are exploring. Example: You are in Paris, you see La tour Eiffel, you either are greeted by a floating information window or maybe something pops up and you can selected an icon to learn more about it.
    11-16-2016 10:33 PM
    I'm looking forward to trying this too.
    That pic is from Superman right?
    iThunderbirt and Chemy JMHT like this.
    11-17-2016 04:31 AM
    Wow I just tried google earth and it blew me away!
    11-17-2016 06:55 PM
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing! I dragged the kids into my office last night to show them the Colosseum in Rome. I started them off with a place they knew locally just to familiarize them with it and then took them to Italy. =)
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    11-18-2016 10:38 AM
    I tried to stream it on Beam, but I had OBS issues. Will record a stream this weekend.
    11-18-2016 11:27 AM
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing! I dragged the kids into my office last night to show them the Colosseum in Rome. I started them off with a place they knew locally just to familiarize them with it and then took them to Italy. =)
    I thought it was pretty ironic that the first place I wanted to view was my own boring hometown.
    11-18-2016 03:15 PM
    "Google Earth VR is first available on Steam for the HTC Vive ."

So I will wait, they forgot to mention that little thing
    11-20-2016 01:22 AM
    "Google Earth VR is first available on Steam for the HTC Vive ."

So I will wait, they forgot to mention that little thing
    It will only be improved by then. A large percentage isn't modelled in 3D yet. Some of the city areas are a tad glitchy graphically too. It's only on close examination you notice. The paint from a crane being on a nearby roof. London buses tend to look like they have been bombed and other random mangled stuff. Nothing major and perhaps it's an inherent flaw with there capturing techniques.
    It's still amazing though!
    11-20-2016 05:05 AM
    Ideally this will be available too every gesture-added platform in the future. It's so well done!

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-20-2016 04:31 PM
    Bonus: Will give a like to the person who knows the move that pic is from
    Superman
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    11-20-2016 06:48 PM
    Well let keep hope it will be soon in other platforms, or teletransportation , so we can go to visit you guys and see how it's the experience
    11-21-2016 07:52 PM