{img]http://ytimg.googleusercontent.com/vi/aIornYZrmX8/mqdefault.jpg[/img]

For a gaming-focused headset, PlayStation VR already has a surprisingly large number of 360-degree video apps available on the PSN Store, but it’s been missing the biggest one: YouTube. That appears to be changing.

Several Reddit users and a handful of Facebook and Twitter users are reporting that support for Sony’s headset landed on the YouTube PlayStation 4 app as part of update 1.09. While plenty of people appear to be using the app already, the update seemingly hasn’t rolled out everywhere. For example, no one at UploadVR in the US or UK is able to download it right now — we’re all stuck with the 1.08 version, even after running the ‘Check for Update’ process on the application.

With PS VR support, users should finally be able to watch YouTube’s wide array of 360-degree video content inside the headset. Those foreign to the format should definitely check out Google’s own Spotlight Series of 360-degree videos, which includes heart-warming short stories like Pearl.

Image Credit: Chris O’Neill

As you can see in the screenshots taken from a PlayStation VR-focused Facebook group, when you open the YouTube application while wearing your PS VR headset, you’re prompted with a choice to run either the Normal or the PlayStation VR version of the application.

Reportedly, when running the PS VR version, you’ll be able to watch 360-degree videos from YouTube natively inside the headset. Previously, you’d have to download videos and watch via a USB stick, or try to discover some other sort of workaround to get things working properly.

Image Credit: Chris O’Neill

In the screenshot above, you can see the abbreviated patch notes, simply stating that Update 1.09 adds “Support for ‘PlayStation VR’ to the application. If you haven’t gotten the 1.09 update yet, try running the “Check for Updates” process by pressing the “Options” button when your cursor is over the YouTube app on PS4 — you can find it under the TV & Video section on your dashboard.

We’ve reached out to Google and Sony to see whether the update is rolling out, or whether it has been pulled for some reason.

Source: YouTube 1.09 Update On PS4 Adds PlayStation VR Support
    12-31-2016 09:53 PM
    Neat, youtube 360 is a obvious recommendation by most and good to see. I know i'd be quite happy right now if I owned one.
    12-31-2016 10:24 PM
    Great news! I've been waiting for this on PSVR, especially since VRideo shut down.
    01-01-2017 12:45 AM
    Great news! I've been waiting for this on PSVR, especially since VRideo shut down.
    Welcome to the forum and happy new year!

Yes, it's a must have in any platform, I didn't know VRideo even existed :P
    Klortch likes this.
    01-01-2017 05:53 AM
    I need to check out more 360 degree videos.
    01-01-2017 01:15 PM
    I need to check out more 360 degree videos.
    Mate you should do it for real, in some point if you find the type of videos you really enjoy you will be able to be plugged to The Matrix® for hours, even 360 pictures can get my attention for hours.
    01-03-2017 06:16 PM