On December 15th in 1891, teacher James Naismith sat down and wrote out the rules for a game that he never could have expected would become one of North America's top sporting exports.

Basketball is a simple game thats easy to learn, playable indoors and more intimate than other big-league sports like baseball, football or hockey. Because players are seen up-close and dont wear helmets, its easier for viewers to form connections with the team, which means theyre more eager to try the NBAs virtual reality broadcasts that provide an even closer look from different angles.

A sport like football lives and dies on technical details played out over a large field, he writes, so television is its perfect medium. But basketball is played on a much smaller space. Putting a camera in that courtside seat could give fans a VR experience that far surpasses the current broadcast, drawing them tighter into the leagues web, Eddie Guy for Wired.

Source: Why Basketball Is The Perfect Sport for Virtual Reality | Smart News | Smithsonian
    12-17-2016 09:16 PM
    As a non basketball fan I think I can tell you why basketball on VR is working so well. I don't enjoy going to basketball games when I have seats in most places in the arena, the exception is when I have court side seats. I have had court side seats twice in my life. Once behind the net and once on the actual sideline. It was AMAZING. Seeing a sporting event that close changes the experience for me. I get more in to the action, I feel more a part of the game. Watching the NBA games in VR gives me this same feeling.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-17-2016 09:34 PM
    As a non basketball fan I think I can tell you why basketball on VR is working so well. I don't enjoy going to basketball games when I have seats in most places in the arena, the exception is when I have court side seats. I have had court side seats twice in my life. Once behind the net and once on the actual sideline. It was AMAZING. Seeing a sporting event that close changes the experience for me. I get more in to the action, I feel more a part of the game. Watching the NBA games in VR gives me this same feeling.
    I get it and they also said something like that on the article, but I also thing any sport or even action activity can be as good and involving as basketball I think.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-17-2016 09:59 PM