The White House wants kids to learn about the government with a tiny interactive version of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue built on a $1 bill. 1600, an iOS and Android app available today, is the White Houses first foray into augmented reality development. If users open it and point the phones camera at the bill, the app uses George Washingtons visage as a fiducial marker and constructs the White House on top of it. Press secretary Josh Earnest narrates its history, while the augmented reality structure cycles through the seasons, including events like the White House Easter Egg Roll. By tapping parts of the building, users can find metaphorical Easter eggs as well, including various US presidents.
    The Verge

So it appear that the US government sees VR and AR as good learning tools, I tried the Yosemite one and I liked.

Sources:
    - Youtube
    - http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/1/13...ll-android-ios
    12-12-2016 11:36 PM
    This is more or less how I envisioned AR apps would grow in popularity. Hopefully we see more of this as time moves on. I mean even as far as product information companies could let you point your camera at a product and give you a mini 3-D representation of it without having to remove it from its packaging etc.
    12-13-2016 06:47 AM
    Reminds me of pop-up books I had as a child. AR is great for education!
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-13-2016 07:18 AM
    That's pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about AR stuff like this is the need for the specific app. When that step of finding the app and installing it is outb of the way, that's when I think it'll REALLY take off.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    12-13-2016 08:21 AM
    It would be super cool if one day you could have a version of google maps that uses AR. People could lift up their phones and look through the camera at an arrow showing them where to go.
    12-13-2016 08:23 AM
    That's pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about AR stuff like this is the need for the specific app. When that step of finding the app and installing it is outb of the way, that's when I think it'll REALLY take off.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    That's actually something that is kind of happening with a few apps, you only point at a QR code and the necessary files are downloaded and you can enjoy the experience just by doing that and having Internet access.
    12-13-2016 08:01 PM
    It would be super cool if one day you could have a version of google maps that uses AR. People could lift up their phones and look through the camera at an arrow showing them where to go.
    Well not exactly with Google Maps but something like that is what most of the AR companies are trying to do with their HMD (Head Mounted Display), if you see a few of the videos and devices posted in the AR threads you will see by the pictures and videos that all of them have that function.

Hopefully it will come to our phones, from the cheapest to the Flagships.
    12-13-2016 08:03 PM
    Well not exactly with Google Maps but something like that is what most of the AR companies are trying to do with their HMD (Head Mounted Display), if you see a few of the videos and devices posted in the AR threads you will see by the pictures and videos that all of them have that function.

Hopefully it will come to our phones, from the cheapest to the Flagships.
    I don't see why that would be an issue really. Hardware-wise the cheapest phones are at least up to the task of it. It more becomes a matter of expanded use scenarions and public awareness. I think this is something Amazon could even have a huge push into in the near future. Again if they represent 3D models of items they are selling using the Amazon app it would be much better then the 360 fixed rotation we see on sites now. Yopu could even place furniture in your home with the use of the camera and say an Ikea app see how it looks. There is a lot of potential to things like this.
    12-14-2016 07:02 AM