I would like to buy my son a virtual reality headset and he has an XBox. What equipment do I need to buy for it? How much is this going to cost me? He graduated with honors and I want the best for all his hard work.
    06-28-2016 12:46 PM
  2. Russell Holly said: Best Answer

Currently, the Xbox does not support any VR Headset. That is expected to change next year, but currently it's not an option.
    Currently, the Xbox does not support any VR Headset. That is expected to change next year, but currently it's not an option.
    06-28-2016 01:06 PM
    You can theoretically use OSVR for it, but you won't find official released titles. I spoke with Microsoft recently they are actively rejecting games on Xbox that have VR components on their platform.
    06-29-2016 03:34 PM
    While the xbox doesn't have a VR headset, yet.. there are some third party VR or Movie headsets that you can technically tie to your Xbox to at least see things in 3D. But the vr unit won't actually control or interact with your Xbox.

Unfortunately, I've only tested one, the Omimo Uranus One. And I would not really recommend it. It is an android unit that you can play android games on. Its wireless for Android stuff. And for xbox or blu-ray you just connect an HDMI to mini-HDMI cable to the visor.

This thing was really not ready for primetime. And you can only get it from China. I am still fighting for my refund for the unit I returned. When I say that this unit is Android based, I mean it uses an android kernel...but there is almost no UI and very few pre-installed apps. It doesn't even come with play.google.com on it or a browser. The remote that came with it for moving around and selecting things didn't seem to work. And the in visor pointer would stop working if you went into an app. And in some apps, you couldn't get to the menu to turn it back on within the app.

I WAS able to experiment with 3D blu-ray on it, and it took a bit of setup, but once I got it, it looked pretty amazing. You'll never want to use active shutter or passive 3D glasses again. I was also able to connect it to my laptop, but no matter what I did, the corners of the screen seemed to overlap the rounded edges of the eye lenses, which made naviagation and opening and closing windows a tad difficult. I was able to view some of the 3D pictures I had taken from the headset, but the alignment adjuster doesn't stay in the same spot from picture to picture, so you have to set it for EVERY picture. And its such a large graphic, it actually blocks out most of the picture, so when you are adjusting, its tough to even tell if it is lining up right until you close the slider.

I didn't really mean to go into full review mode here, but I wanted to give you some idea about why I wouldn't recommend this particular device. But if you search for Android VR Glasses, there may be other/better options out there..
    07-01-2016 01:26 PM