VR on a mobile device is a lot of fun And is a great inexpensive way to reach the masses. I feel it is a great platform for watching 360 films and playing simple games. But the experience is not comparable to a headset like the Vive or Oculus for obvious reasons to us here, but what about everyone else? People do not expect the same things from their smartphones as they do their PC's because the understand they are different. I believe we should have two separate classifications for VR so people understand that this "once again" emerging technology actually has levels of sophistication.
    So any suggestion? I have thought about One being "VR" while the other "Cardboard" but I have a windows phone so I don't really use Cardboard.
    Mobile VR also seems like a bad name because you should not really be mobile while in VR.
    08-06-2016 07:21 AM
    It's becoming surprisingly difficult to establish a firm dividing line. Gear VR and Google Daydream aren't really in the same class as Cardboard, but they aren't quite as capable as PlayStation VR either. It's something I think about a lot recently.

I look at it like this:

Full VR (Rift, Vive, PSVR)
    Portable VR (Gear VR, Daydream)
    VR Veiwer (Cardboard)
    08-06-2016 07:48 AM
    I like that breakdown, Russell. It's going to get more confusing, though; whenever someone figures out positional tracking for Gear VR or Daydream (or indeed their own product), there'll be a new class of VR products. In between current portable VR and full VR.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    08-07-2016 09:31 AM