Warner Music Group to create VR experiences.

Warner Music Group has penned a deal with MelodyVR that will see it create virtual reality experiences with the artists on its roster.

The tie-up will create “hundreds of cutting edge virtual reality experiences,” according to the record label.

Music Business Worldwide reports that Warner will release the content via MelodyVR’s platform later this year, spanning what it calls “otherwise unobtainable experiences” including backstage and in a recording studio.

The experiences will be made available via the MelodyVR app that will host a variety of content produced throughout both 2015 and 2016.

Anthony Matchett, co-founder and chie executive at MelodyVR, said: “We’re incredibly pleased to be working with WMG to create revolutionary content. MelodyVR was founded with the vison of providing music fans with a new and immersive way of engaging with the artists that they love.

“Whether we’re providing a fan with access to an exclusive one-on-one performance or a VR live-stream of a sold out concert, I’m pleased that our vision is also shared by Warner Music. I believe that our recent licensing agreement cements WMG’s commitment to virtual reality as well as their dedication to supporting new technologies.

“We look forward to working even more closely with Warner Music artists over the coming years and to creating even more compelling experiences for their fans.”

Ole Obermann, chief digital officer and executive vice president of business development at Warner Music Group, said:

“Warner Music Group is constantly exploring new avenues for connecting our artists with their audiences, and virtual reality presents tremendous, forward-thinking possibilities for heightened musical experiences and new forms of storytelling.

“MelodyVR is a trailblazer of its industry, and passionate about what it does, and we can’t wait to show fans what we’re able to create together.”

Warner’s partnership with MelodyVR comes after rival Universal launched its own VR app VRLive.

Source: Warner Music Group readies ‘hundreds of virtual reality experiences’ | Creative | The Drum
    01-03-2017 02:04 PM
    competition and content will only push the vr market farther. I've heard of similar trying to use it as like a sold ticket "Seat" to get the experience without being their it would be neat to check out because i wouldn't have to drive hours to a concert. I'm not sure you would get the necessarily as much social experience.
    01-04-2017 05:52 AM
    Yeah I think it would be a lot of fun for concerts and other public events. More sales without having to haul up a lot of resources. The biggest issue will be streaming the event live.
    01-04-2017 08:04 AM
    I indeed wonder what the bandwidth requirements for streaming 360 VR videos are. I guess that most internet connections cannot handel this well.
    But for recorded concerts it could be amazing.
    What about classical music though? We also deserve something..!
    01-05-2017 03:19 PM
    I don't know; I always find I enjoy live performances best for classical. I mean Verizon hall by us is amazing acoustic-wise I have yet to enjoy even my headphones that much.
    01-06-2017 08:38 AM
    But what about listening to the Berliner philharmoniker when I don't want to fly to Berlin? It could save a bit of effort!
    Still, I am still not 100% sure that live concerts are always better. It depends upon the location of your seat and other factors, while in VR you can enjoy a full, high quality sound at all times.
    Believe me, I had some VERY big disappointmens listening to some very powerful romantic music in a live concert, and getting a VERY unpowerful sound, which really ruined the whole experience.

I am wondering though if in VR they are recording sound in 360, which means that when you turn your head around you will hear the sound coming from different directions. It could be fantastic!
    01-06-2017 03:58 PM
    As a lover of all kinds of music I am excited about this kind of content coming to VR. When I read this the first thing that came to mind was the streaming requirements and bandwidth limitations, but I would be down for pay-per-view and rental events I could download and/or watch later. I'd also be interested in purchasing recorded live concerts of my favorite artists with behind-the-scenes VR access. I just hope Sony has an interest in bringing this kind of content to PSVR.
    01-06-2017 05:56 PM
    I am wondering though if in VR they are recording sound in 360, which means that when you turn your head around you will hear the sound coming from different directions. It could be fantastic!
    Yes, there is the option to record music in 360, not all are doing it but at least the mayor companies like Jaunt and those which uses the Nokia OZO 360 Camera are doing it for sure.

About the bandwidth, it will be a huge limitation, even when you can watch a Youtube 360 video with 360 audio, you will feel the compression doing a mess in the quality of both audio and video, it's simply to much data to transmit but also a lot of GPU/CPU processes, so not only is a bandwidth problem but also a limitation for who can actually enjoy it.
    01-08-2017 08:25 PM