I was parked outside a Verizon store tonight and I got to thinking that VR Smartphones have been tried and used by more people than have tried and used desktop VR and seeing how console VRs are so new I'm not even sure what those numbers are. So I was asking myself did the Smartphone VR start the VR machine moving in motion and in the right direction finally, so to speak. I mean let's face it when it comes to VR we already know that desktop VR is more appealing and stable, not counting the needed tethered cord which can be an annoyance and that's why some prefer the smart phones headsets over the desktop but than again we are on the verge of a whole new device that will be tetherless, so in a sense you can consider the smartphone VR was the inspiration for the tetherless headsets soon to come, so here's the big question, given these tetherless VR headsets will have far more advanced tech in them then smart phones, do you think that smart phone headsets will go the way of the dinos and eventually become extinct or do you think that smart phone manufacturers will be able to keep up with the advancements of the tetherless headsets? If you consider the price of one of these new tetherless headsets may rival a high end phone than I think the smart phones time as a VR device will soon be up, after all it's just a phone, right?
    10-28-2016 02:11 AM
    It would have its following, depending on the price of real vr, but ultimately it would struggle to provide real content, the same way you could with PS vr.
    10-28-2016 06:01 AM
    I'm waiting on Microsoft's partner headsets to come out. If they can come out at the announced price points of about $299, I think it'll shift the balance. Until then, smartphones will still be a stopgap measure.
    10-28-2016 10:12 AM
    Don't know about quality but price wise mobile vr definitely worth compared to desktop vr.
    10-28-2016 11:00 AM
    "Tetherless" VR is going to be prohibitively expensive in the immediate future, and by immediate I mean the next two years. Besides, your smartphone already does a lot of things that aren't VR, so it's difficult to offer a full price compare there.
    10-28-2016 11:24 AM
    Don't know about quality but price wise mobile vr definitely worth compared to desktop vr.
    I have to agree with that, but from what I have read the quality is inferior to the dektop VR.
    10-29-2016 12:12 AM
    "Tetherless" VR is going to be prohibitively expensive in the immediate future, and by immediate I mean the next two years. Besides, your smartphone already does a lot of things that aren't VR, so it's difficult to offer a full price compare there.
    I don't know about that, I"m hearing that Oculus headset will be far less in prices than the Rift, so if it's say MSRP of $350 that's about a 100 bucks more than what some consider a mid smart phone, high end being more around the $400 range, I agree the smartphone does a heck of alot more than the tetherless VR would do including it's ability to run not only VR but AR which I don't think that's been evens considered as a hybrid type for the self contained headsets, if that happened you would probably see the price of the Hololens drop significantly since now you would have a self contained headset that does both, just saying.
    10-29-2016 12:16 AM
    Well I would say to begin into the world of vr, it's perfect, after that one can go for desktop vr if they and more.
    10-29-2016 02:24 AM
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$'$re$ $working$ $on$ $wireless$ $standards$ $to$ $allow$ $for$ $untethered$ $VR$ ($I$ $think$ $I$ $saw$ $one$ $such$ $standard$ $being$ $released$ $last$ $week$ $by$ $the$ $wifi$ $consortium$), $and$ $that$ $means$ $true$ $untethered$ $vr$ $is$ $at$ $least$ $a$ $year$ $or$ $two$ $in$ $the$ $future$. $Smartphone$ $VR$ $is$ $a$ $good$ $gateway$ $drug$ $until$ $then$, $but$ $you$ $obviously$ $will$ $get$ $a$ $better$ $experience$ $with$ $desktop$ $VR$, $specially$ $once$ $the$ $tech$ $is$ $no$ $longer$ $bleeding$ $edge$
    10-29-2016 04:28 AM