Something I read was that the headsets need a companion pc for them to work. Is this true for all headsets or can some headsets operate without needing a pc? What if the headset could just have a wifi connection?
    07-26-2016 01:36 AM
    Actually there are 4 basic types of headsets, 2 require phones, 1 is stand alone, and 1 requires a PC. The Google cardboard headsets require any smartphone that supports Android or iOS (there may also be limited Windows support, and BB 10 support via Android runtime), there are many types of Google cardboard headsets, some fancier than others, most in the 20 dollar or less range and some free. Next up is the GearVR which only works with a few select Samsung phones. GearVR cost 100-200, but is sometimes given away by Samsung with the phone. 3rd type is traditional VR like the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, BUT there are a few others in this class, and they require a PC (a Mac, at this time, will not do). Cost for this "true VR" is 600-800. And finally you have the Microsoft Hololens which while it can work with and support a PC, can also work as a standalone VR device. It is currently for developers only and cost 3000! When released to the public it may (hopefully) cost less.

Oh I forgot, some of the game makers such as Sony for example are working on and/or on the verge of releasing VR equipment also! These of course require the console in question.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-26-2016 10:29 AM
    That's mostly true, but the PlayStation Option needs a PS4, the Samsung VR a Smartphone, but the OpenVR, Rift and Vive need a kind of powerful PC.
    The only one I know does not uses anything else is the Microsoft Holo Lens
    07-26-2016 02:18 PM
    That's mostly true, but the PlayStation Option needs a PS4, the Samsung VR a Smartphone, but the OpenVR, Rift and Vive need a kind of powerful PC.
    Yea that's pretty much what I said!
    Chintan Gohel and Chemy JMHT like this.
    07-26-2016 03:21 PM
    Thank you for the info - I'm learning a lot this way
    07-27-2016 02:09 AM
    But a device that just streams the content using wifi? Kind of like the chromebook for VR
    07-27-2016 02:11 AM
    But a device that just streams the content using wifi? Kind of like the chromebook for VR
    Well mostly you are going to use VR in the comfort of your home some wifi should work.
    07-27-2016 12:14 PM
    I know odd brands. What I think you might be able to use is Nibiru (~180USD), a Depoon (~300USD) or a Game Face Labs headset. All are android all-in-one headsets - that is android is built in (no phone required) and self sufficient. They are light, about 4hrs playtime. But only mobile quality games.
    07-27-2016 12:43 PM
    I know odd brands. What I think you might be able to use is Nibiru (~180USD), a Depoon (~300USD) or a Game Face Labs headset. All are android all-in-one headsets - that is android is built in (no phone required) and self sufficient. They are light, about 4hrs playtime. But only mobile quality games.
    I'm really liking the idea of the Hololens, just not liking the 3000.00 price!
    07-28-2016 08:55 AM
    Holo Lens doesn't need anything? How it work (in two words)?
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    07-29-2016 06:43 AM
    Holo Lens doesn't need anything? How it work (in two words)?
    5 words ok?

Augmented Reality Standalone Computer Headset!

Here's a good blog on it ..... Everything you need to know about Microsoft Hololens | VRHeads
    07-29-2016 10:09 AM
    streaming introduces latency in the range of at least ~40ms. Oculus and Vive target latency below 20ms, so an extra layer of unpredictable wireless communication will bump that up to at least 60ms which is in the DK1's class. Also because of signal losses and fluctuations additional jitter will be present too.
    07-29-2016 04:31 PM
    I'm really liking the idea of the Hololens, just not liking the 3000.00 price!
    the hololens is expensive but that's just the first iteration. Let's see how it progresses by the third iteration
    07-30-2016 06:29 AM
    I guess the question is sound. That is a new one for me too. headset without pc is what i think is mostly out there.
    10-27-2016 03:17 PM
    I think you are mixing up the price. The extra zero may freak someone out.
    10-27-2016 03:18 PM
    As some have mentioned before, there is mobile VR which does not need a PC but does require a compatible smartphone. There is also Playstation VR which requires a playstation (if that wasn't obvious) and there is the highest end (most expensive but the best experience) headsets like the HTC Vive and the Oculus rift which do require a PC to perform all of the calculations necessary for VR to work. None of the headsets themselves actually have a WiFi connection. Hope this answered your question!
    10-28-2016 06:36 PM