Vertebrae is trying to create advertising designed specifically for virtual reality. Nobody like commercials, but VR-dedicated ads could help move toward more free VR content.

Virtual reality ad-technology startup Vertebrae has raised $10 million in a Series A round of funding.

The company, formed about a year ago, is working on an advertising system designed specifically for virtual reality, the immersive entertainment format reaching consumers this year through headsets like Facebook's Oculus Rift, HTC's Vive and Samsung's Gear VR.

Not many consumers would cheer for adding advertising to anything. But companies like Vertebrae could help ensure VR is more fun for consumers. When VR publishers can make money off their product by running ads, rather than forcing the viewer to cough up a pay-t0-play cost for everything, more VR content can be available free.

Plus, designing an ad system just for VR could avoid jarring interruptions.

"We want to be sure that we're doing advertising that is isn't regurgitating banner ads and 2D video," said Vincent Cacace, CEO and founder of Vertebrae.

Vertebrae, which is based in Santa Monica, California, will use the new funding to hire more workers and invest in research and development. Currently at a staff of about 18, Vertebrae's team includes people with backgrounds from Oculus, Google's YouTube, Activision, Facebook and Twitter.

Samsung's $99 Gear VR headset makes virtual reality accessible to anyone with one of the company's flagship phones.
    VR advertising, like the kind Vertebrae is developing, will help keep the cost of virtual-reality content down, too.
    Josh Miller/CNET

Sources:
    - https://www.cnet.com/news/vr-ad-tech...es-10-million/
    - Home
    09-14-2016 11:36 AM
    It sounds like a good idea, but will there be enough people with at least GR VRs to watch the ads? Just the other day I was talking to a fellow at my local sporting goods who has a Galaxy S5, I asked him have you tried it with VR yet? He said he hadn't because he didn't have a headset, I'm not even sure he knew that there are low entry cost headsets on the market and so I have to wonder if he's not alone in not having a VR Headset and how that might affect adverts for companies like this one?
    09-14-2016 11:30 PM
    You are right, there is no so much market, but for those with VR headset there is not so much content to enjoy in VR, so if the ads are enjoyable all the people with an headset will try it and eventually the market will be huge, so it's better to start early and be the reference brand I think.
    09-17-2016 09:01 AM