Do any current VR products have smell integrated into them? I imagine at some point we will be able to travel the world via VR and it would be nice to smell the ocean when visiting a beautiful island like St. Thomas.
    05-26-2016 12:46 PM
  2. KermEd said: Best Answer

This is called haptics and available as an add-on from many different companies (VR or non-VR). But can be costly, and needs the developer to integrate it into the game, which is very ver yvery very very very rare
    Lloyd Summers | Cofounder of RedIronLabs.com | Immersive Dark Videogames (VR/Horror) | @kerm_ed
    This is called haptics and available as an add-on from many different companies (VR or non-VR). But can be costly, and needs the developer to integrate it into the game, which is very ver yvery very very very rare
    Lloyd Summers | Cofounder of RedIronLabs.com | Immersive Dark Videogames (VR/Horror) | @kerm_ed
    05-27-2016 02:17 PM
    It's available in more elaborate systems used at amusement parks. I HATE to keep using Disneyland as an example, cause really it's ANY major amusement park, has these type attractions. A Bugs Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom would be an example, but as Lloyd said VERY VERY expensive!
    KermEd likes this.
    05-27-2016 02:50 PM
    Boy if it was...... Can be very interesting for sure
    pkcable likes this.
    05-27-2016 02:55 PM
    I tried a demo at GDC, you sit in a chair, and there is a big box in front of you. As you play games and demos, it shoots hot air and cool air at you - it was pretty cool (you could feel fireballs and ice balls fly past you!). Although, there were some smelly looking ogres, if they had smell working too, I may have ended up regretting it!

But I think touch, smell and air are huge in trying to keep someone immersed in the environment...
    pkcable likes this.
    05-27-2016 04:22 PM