Naotaka Fujii, a researcher for the Japans state-funded Riken Institute, has developed what hes called substitutional reality, which uses a simple trick to take virtual reality to startlingly convincing levels.

In the SR experience, the headset wearing users field of view is subtly swapped out for a pre-recorded 360 degree VR image of the same panorama, which can then be segue into the VR world. Fujii says a humans brain is so insistent on filling the gap between reality and VR, the SR illusion becomes incredibly convincing.

Riken researcher Naotaka Fujii (right) tests a 'substitutional reality' system that lets people experience how a prerecorded 360-degree video can be mixed into real-life surroundings.

Source: Riken mind bender stays one step ahead of virtual reality | The Japan Times

I really recommend to read the whole article, it got me thinking about of some stuff I haven't though before, also there is that new concept to add "substitutional reality" or SR which for me is only about a software for VR or a way of VR where the transition between the real world and the VR world is a smoother.
    12-18-2016 11:54 PM
    VERY interesting! This is something I could see working commercially. We have talked in the past about VR clubs or arcades, and this technology would work well there I think!
    12-19-2016 07:58 AM
    I guess its one of those things you have to see to get. I am still trying to figure out how this is any different then a 360 degree video of a room or a headset with a camera on it.
    12-19-2016 02:02 PM
    I guess its one of those things you have to see to get. I am still trying to figure out how this is any different then a 360 degree video of a room or a headset with a camera on it.
    From the article what I got is that this thing merged reality with the VR before taking you to a total VR experience, that's the only thing I got, but you are right, we won't know until try it.
    12-19-2016 10:22 PM
    From the article what I got is that this thing merged reality with the VR before taking you to a total VR experience, that's the only thing I got, but you are right, we won't know until try it.
    Yeah I can see how you start out in your room and open a door and end up in a different world which would be less jarring then having a black headset then suddenly turn on and be somewhere else. But then I still feel like tactical and motion play a big part in tricking us.
    12-20-2016 01:37 PM
    That thing looks like an Alien head. And I think we're probably already living in a convincing simulation. Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing Chemy.
    12-20-2016 10:00 PM
    That thing looks like an Alien head. And I think we're probably already living in a convincing simulation. Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing Chemy.
    hopefully we are living that, so that may explain a lot of crazy things happening all over :P
    12-20-2016 11:04 PM
    hopefully we are living that, so that may explain a lot of crazy things happening all over :P
    If I wrote a movie it would probably have some weird things in it. Maybe I wrote this one
    12-30-2016 10:37 AM
    If I wrote a movie it would probably have some weird things in it. Maybe I wrote this one
    LOL, well I guess we all are weird in our particular way, that's the beauty of this. I will watch your movie mate, but probably I will downloaded from a torrent site or something
    12-30-2016 03:41 PM
    Lol, both cale and this article are so deep. The headset in picture look soo alien.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-30-2016 04:27 PM
    Lol, both cale and this article are so deep. The headset in picture look soo alien.
    Noataka looks alien for me too, too skinny but I think very smart people don't care about the look as we the silly ones, considering Stephen Hawking is pretty smart too.
    12-30-2016 08:44 PM
    Yeah its probably more or less designed as a prototype unit. Like the first gen hololense system.
    12-30-2016 10:06 PM
    Yeah, I think its a prototype but wonder if there was a functionality to its shape. Overall i think it's pretty cool looking lol.
    12-31-2016 02:38 AM
    Overall i think it's pretty cool looking lol.
    I agree.
    01-03-2017 04:28 PM