Hello everyone!

Drones for recreational purposes have been around for a few years. I do not own one but I do find them to be very fun when used responsibly. However, some do tend to use them the wrong way and a few incidents cough the eye of government officials.

In Canada, the government is proposing any drone "bigger than a tiny toy" should be registered, pass a knowledge test and pay for liability insurance. This applies to drones weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds). When it comes to age, they propose a minimum age of 14 to operate very small (probably toys) drones. For drones heavier than 1 Kg (2.2 pounds) the minimum age is 16.

For those who operate a drone or are considering one, do you think those proposed rules would prevent you from investing in one? Do you think it is fair that one must follow some basic course in order to operate drone safely ? (Putting aside "this is another cash grab by the government bla bla"). Any similar rules being drafted in your country?

Be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Source: CBC.ca
    10-24-2016 08:57 AM
    I don't think the rules that are set by the government are there to spoil fun; to me the rules seem to be very sensible and should prevent any mid-air collisions or any misuse of the drone. After all most of these drones are more than just toys and can cause injury to others and could cause costly delays if operated near an airfield. I currently do not own a drone but have been considering buying one for ages (I live in the UK so there are slightly different laws here) but i would have to say that the price is the biggest factor that is making my hesitate buying one. It could be interesting to see where this goes as it is still a developing market and the government have time to balance the rules so that they are fair yet still make sure that the drones are being operated correctly.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    10-24-2016 04:31 PM
    Drones can be dangerous and burdensome, its important to have rules and regulations.
    10-25-2016 05:15 AM