This is a very thoughtful, and slightly comical, examination of how Oculus got a bit blindsided by room scale.

It's worth a read, and after trying the Oculus Touch I'm sure they will recover, but they definitely slipped a bit when the Vive brought out it's room scale technology.
    Oculus Wasn't Prepared
    krisguy likes this.
    11-02-2016 05:42 PM
    I think of 3 different types of VR setups now: Mobile, Room-Scale, and Console. I think we as a community have to keep some perspectives in place when thinking about "Which VR is the best?" types of questions.
    11-03-2016 12:21 AM
    I think the article should be changed now, the room scale is available for the Oculus already so the writers won't have a good point now.

At that point was all about rumors.
    12-31-2016 11:43 PM
    I think the article should be changed now, the room scale is available for the Oculus already so the writers won't have a good point now.

At that point was all about rumors.
    There is still some relevance based on the fact that how has not having Touch or Room-scale from the on-set affected the Rift in those areas I believe. Not every game supports the Rift version of those technologies.
    01-01-2017 02:24 PM
    I guess once you have the Controllers somehow you will have some Room-Scale because of how far can you move with the controllers until the Satellite sensor loose track of you, but so far I haven't tried.
    01-01-2017 06:47 PM
    I think that Oculus will not have a choice, but at some point to embrace the idea of room scale and to support it.
    I know that room scale can be achieved with three cameras, but Oculus don't support it officially as far as I know, and it is considered experimental.
    The "Wow" effect the Vive creates is convincing more and more people that room scale is a necessity for VR, and if Oculus don't want to lose in this VR war, they must officially support room scale.
    01-01-2017 11:13 PM
    They may even need to release a new sensor system for such a thing. But it sounds like their systems works fairly well from early reviews.
    01-01-2017 11:53 PM
    But from pretty much every review I got the sense that the Vive works better, even with 3 sensors for the Rift.
    My question is-do you think that there will be a difference in tracking in a smaller room between the two?
    01-02-2017 12:23 AM
    Probably not. It sounds like the Rift system just more or less has issues when the space gets too large. But for a smaller space it seems like its fine. Once I get my touch's I can test this more as I am dealing with a small space as well.
    01-02-2017 11:21 AM
    Yeah i've recently checked into this from what i've read sensor that came with kit gives good vertical tracking but bad horizontal. Getting the touchs really allowed people to move around though still not quite as much as they wanted. So the extra sensor from behind really helped cover all the blind spots. Which basically means more sensors better tracking, need all of them to get near excellent tracking. Even then though the Calculated room scale was smaller than the vive, so the lighthouse seems to be superior method to me hands down for roomscale vr. Really one of the major features setting them apart until recently. Someone will probably make a addon or upgrade kit like all the other things we are seeing being made for wireless ect. Only thing that I think we see won't be upgradable is screen resolution.

some of the articles http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch...vs-visualized/
    HTC Vive vs Oculus Rift With Touch - Which Is Better At Roomscale VR?
    01-02-2017 11:49 AM
    I'd be happy to have room scale of any type. Oculus will no doubt improve their offering and get better at doing room scale, while the Vive will improve as well (especially now that there are several options for wireless use). Right now, though, yes, the Vive's implementation is better. But the Rift is (slightly) more affordable. All depends on what's most important to the specific consumer.
    01-02-2017 01:11 PM