Welcome to the VRHeads Forum Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By pjs37
  • 1 Post By pjs37
  • 1 Post By Chemy JMHT
  • 1 Post By pjs37
  • 3 Post By Chemy JMHT
  • 3 Post By krisguy
  1. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  

    PlayStation VR works on the PC with SteamVR... for now

    PlayStation VR works on the PC with SteamVR... for now

    PlayStation VR works with SteamVR with the latest version of Trinus PSVR, locked to 60Hz though



    The latest version of Trinus PSVR works with PSVR, adding side-by-side support for non-VR games, a PSVR Box switch off button, a fix for switched colors, the ability to check for updates, PSVR display selector, and improved lens correction.

    PSVR with Trinus PSVR won't work with the Oculus Touch or HTC Vive controllers, so all games have to be played with the gamepad. For now, Trinus PSVR is also limited to 60Hz, so don't blame us - or Trinus PSVR if you get sick.



    So it will allow (for now) to use your PSVR on a PC with some limitations, it's nice to have and now, I don't think I will going to try it, but to share

    Source: PlayStation VR works on the PC with SteamVR... for now
  2. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    The refresh rate is probably due to how PSVR implements its refresh rate in the system. It actually accepts a 60hz refresh rate and then does some interpolation to make it 120hz simulated so the system doesn't need to run it at that speed. Undoubtly this is providing some limitations. I am excited to see this makes the headset more useful.
    krisguy likes this.
  3. Firegold21's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    239 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I can't wait till more systems are compatible with others. I'll take the limitations of this (well, I would if I had a PSVR); iirc, 60 Hz is the refresh rate of the GearVR and I get a lot of use and enjoyment out of that. Yes, it's not as smooth as the Rift, Vive or PSVR, but it does the job just fine.
  4. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Well that refresh rate could work with some experiences just fine, hopefully more things will be improved and it keeps working on PC
  5. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Well I am sure there will be much hacking of hardware until a standards is agreed upon by the major players. A PS4 is essentially a PC and a PSVR is essentially a display. So I am not surprised at this being out there the speed of its releases is surprising.
  6. Talkivr's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Really cool to see as most probably want to at least TRY SteamVR stuff even though they got a ps4 vr even if limited.
  7. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkivr View Post
    Really cool to see as most probably want to at least TRY SteamVR stuff even though they got a ps4 vr even if limited.
    Also they will hopefully eventually add support for the controllers...
  8. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    I only hope next update or something doesn't take this from us, I even hope the new standards allows to use more and more HMD with all the platforms.
  9. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Probably not too likely. I don't think they see any negative to letting some hack get around for some small sub-group of gamers wanting to use it on their PC's unless they are taking a loss on each sale of a headset in anticipation of making up the loss with software sales. Then you will see them locking it down. But I envision this would be like the Kinect in a lot of ways.
  10. Talkivr's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Don't see them purposely locking it out, more like a compatibility issues arise. Also think it would be AWESOME if controllers would work, though doubt it could but might be able to rig something up using regular controller.
  11. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    It can also be a problem for Steam wanting to use more the ViVE than PSVR if it become a harmful competition, let see what happen.
  12. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemy JMHT View Post
    It can also be a problem for Steam wanting to use more the ViVE than PSVR if it become a harmful competition, let see what happen.
    Steam's only concern is to sell more games that is where they make their money. That is why they support the Oculus. While Valve helped with the development of the Vive and its features HTC also had a big stake in it. Probably most of it.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
  13. GustavMahler's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Do you think that I one should consider buying the PSVR for a headset for a powerful PC, or will it really be a bottleneck and one should get the Rift or the Vive?
    The price of the PSVR seems to be tempting, but is the quality really worse? I understand that the FOV is bigger though, am I right? and that's one of the most important things for immersion, if not the most.
  14. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
    Do you think that I one should consider buying the PSVR for a headset for a powerful PC, or will it really be a bottleneck and one should get the Rift or the Vive?
    The price of the PSVR seems to be tempting, but is the quality really worse? I understand that the FOV is bigger though, am I right? and that's one of the most important things for immersion, if not the most.
    I think there are a lot of things to consider, like this algorithm:
    1. You already have a PS4 and don't have a VR capable PC and don't want to spend all the money needed for it, go for a PSVR
    2. You don't have a PS4 and have a computer which can handle VR go for the Rift or ViVE.
    2.1. Do you like some of the content for a specific device, chose that device.
    2.2. Don't have enough for the ViVE and can't wait, go for the Rift.
    And so on...

    But my real recommendation is, try all the devices you can before buying, maybe the one which gives you the best experiences for what you want is the Daydream and you will be stuck with other because you didn't try it before.
    the_moesiah likes this.
  15. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    That is a pretty good matrix. I think the PSVR should really only be considered for people who want to use it on a PS4. I think getting it on PC is a rather sub-optimal hacked togetehr affair that makes more sense if you already had it anyways and wanted to try content on the PC rather then using it with the PC first in mind. After the controllers and camera and what not you are getting pretty close to the cost of a Rift and a better tracking experience in my mind with the Rift.
  16. GustavMahler's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    You are right, I guess I would be better off getting a Vive or a Rift when I have the budget for it.
    The only thing that really bugs me is the screen door effect issue, and it is reported that the PSVR supposedly has none (even though it has a lower resolution).
    Also the content which comes to the PSVR seems to be the best yet, with many full length titles (If I am not mistaken. They seem like full length games though).
    Why didn't we just remain with the Rift and we wouldn't have to choose between all of them!
    But it is the best thing for VR-it creates competition, so everyone is doing is best to improve their product. If Oculus would be the only company in the market, they could very easily just slow down the development pace. But now since HTC is in the game too, they must constantly improve. My guess is that their tracking system will be the next improved thing, since HTC just blows away the Rift's tracking.
  17. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
    You are right, I guess I would be better off getting a Vive or a Rift when I have the budget for it.
    The only thing that really bugs me is the screen door effect issue, and it is reported that the PSVR supposedly has none (even though it has a lower resolution).
    Also the content which comes to the PSVR seems to be the best yet, with many full length titles (If I am not mistaken. They seem like full length games though).
    Why didn't we just remain with the Rift and we wouldn't have to choose between all of them!
    But it is the best thing for VR-it creates competition, so everyone is doing is best to improve their product. If Oculus would be the only company in the market, they could very easily just slow down the development pace. But now since HTC is in the game too, they must constantly improve. My guess is that their tracking system will be the next improved thing, since HTC just blows away the Rift's tracking.
    I am sure we will get there eventually. If the SDE is a big thing for you; then you may want to wait until later generation hardware comes out. Otherwise both the major players are very good platforms to invest in. Both have stengths and weaknesses but nothing that is a deal break IMO.
    GustavMahler likes this.
  18. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #18  
    pjs37 is right, even the PSVR has Screen Door Effect (SDE) it's because the resolution and how the display panels project the image.

    But believe me, that's nothing, once you are in the experience you probably will forget about it just in a few seconds.
  19. GustavMahler's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I know.. Just imagining the presence one could get when using the Vive, with all the movements and 3D display with a huge FOV that convinces you that you are actually there-
    It just blows my mind. I have no words to describe how I feel just imagining it-I think that Google have found the exact right words for a VR headset:
    Daydream.
    When I try to imagine the Vive for example, I just think about lucid dreaming (a lucid dream which you can control and are aware of it being a dream, yet you have the feeling of reality)
    And moving your body, and seeing the image corresponds to that-and you are actually in a dream world.
    It is sublime.
    I don't seem to understand why I don't see people running in the the streets screaming "Hurray!!! VR has arrived! The new era has began! Dream, dream, children of earth and hard labor! your salvation has arrived"

    You see how emotional I get?
  20. pjs37's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
    I know.. Just imagining the presence one could get when using the Vive, with all the movements and 3D display with a huge FOV that convinces you that you are actually there-
    It just blows my mind. I have no words to describe how I feel just imagining it-I think that Google have found the exact right words for a VR headset:
    Daydream.
    When I try to imagine the Vive for example, I just think about lucid dreaming (a lucid dream which you can control and are aware of it being a dream, yet you have the feeling of reality)
    And moving your body, and seeing the image corresponds to that-and you are actually in a dream world.
    It is sublime.
    I don't seem to understand why I don't see people running in the the streets screaming "Hurray!!! VR has arrived! The new era has began! Dream, dream, children of earth and hard labor! your salvation has arrived"

    You see how emotional I get?
    It is cause they haven't yet seen the light

    Actually its more of a problem of content and costs. Not many people are willing to invest in the hardware for the higher end systems save for games which is why the gaming aspect is rather important so far. And we truely do not have anything that is a must have experience for VR. We have a lot of titles where it certainly is better with VR but its certainly not a much have. Kind of like PhysX.
  21. krisguy's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    612 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIN
    No
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemy JMHT View Post
    pjs37 is right, even the PSVR has Screen Door Effect (SDE) it's because the resolution and how the display panels project the image.

    But believe me, that's nothing, once you are in the experience you probably will forget about it just in a few seconds.
    Everyone makes a big deal about SDE. It's not a huge deal once you get into an experience that you get really involved with. I always forget about the SDE on my Vive when good stuff happens.
  22. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
    I don't seem to understand why I don't see people running in the the streets screaming "Hurray!!! VR has arrived! The new era has began! Dream, dream, children of earth and hard labor! your salvation has arrived"
    It's basically because of the $800, I don't think it;s expensive once you start using it, but it's a lot of money for most people.
  23. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by krisguy View Post
    Everyone makes a big deal about SDE. It's not a huge deal once you get into an experience that you get really involved with. I always forget about the SDE on my Vive when good stuff happens.
    Yes, the first time the people was talking about it here (I don't remember when it was) I was like "really? I don't even remember having that" so I played again paying attention because at first you don't care if you are enjoying the experience, it's like playing in the first Atari consoles, you don't care about one inch size pixel because you were enjoying the game.
  24. GustavMahler's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemy JMHT View Post
    Yes, the first time the people was talking about it here (I don't remember when it was) I was like "really? I don't even remember having that" so I played again paying attention because at first you don't care if you are enjoying the experience, it's like playing in the first Atari consoles, you don't care about one inch size pixel because you were enjoying the game.
    The difference is that in VR the experience is based on immersion, and the question is-does the SDE break immersion and holds you back from believing you are actually there in that space?
  25. Chemy JMHT's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Posts
    1,524 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
    The difference is that in VR the experience is based on immersion, and the question is-does the SDE break immersion and holds you back from believing you are actually there in that space?
    No, it doesn't, sometimes even playing games with bad graphics you feel like you are in the place, that's because after a short period of time your brain understands that your movements and reactions affect what you see and hear, so that's what makes the immersion.

    Remember you are watching mostly computer generated graphics, so you know it's not real, but you actually feel the movement, the best example is the roller coaster experience, low quality graphics cars and the people can keep on their foot, even knowing that it's not real.

Similar Threads

  1. [Game] Forestry hands you the axe and puts you to work
    By Chemy JMHT in forum VR Videos: game shots, build videos, social experiences
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 07:54 PM
  2. Virtual reality is new career path for actors
    By Chemy JMHT in forum VR News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2016, 09:40 PM
  3. Robinson: The Journey Coming to Oculus Rift
    By Chemy JMHT in forum VR Videos: game shots, build videos, social experiences
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2016, 08:05 PM
  4. Watch Ken Block's Gymkhana 9 video in 360-degree VR
    By Chemy JMHT in forum VR News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-26-2016, 06:57 PM
  5. 2016: The year of augmented reality
    By Chemy JMHT in forum Augmented Reality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

";