Pimax to reveal 8k resolution, 200 degree FOV VR headset at CES-pimax8k_dard-grey-1024x663.jpg
    Pimax has been one the few companies making high resolution and Field of view VR headsets. They have already released a 4k VR Headset solution this year. Now their going to double it!
    Claiming 4k per-eye resolution (2x 3840*2160) and 200 degree FOV.

Something Chief scientist, Michael Abrash of Oculus didn't predict to show up around until 2021.
    The headset is supposed to hit sub 18-millisecond latency, and it appears it will also feature positional tracking and hand tracked controllers looking to be a combination of Valve’s light house tracking technology and Oculus’ camera based solution.

Pimax claims to have made a "breakthrough" in LCD display tech that will improve its response time.

Of course this leaves questions about how well the optics are really executed at this size screen. Not to mention what kind of super computer it takes to run a 8k VR headset to run 90 frames per second considering how hard it is with current hardware. It's most likely something that wont hit consumer shelves soon but is a vibrant display of progress. We won't know everything till we see it our self.

Source:: Pimax to Unveil 4K Per Eye, 200-degree Field of View VR Headset at CES 2017 - UploadVR
    12-31-2016 04:02 PM
    Interesting. Too bad their software support is really lacking.
    12-31-2016 05:19 PM
    Would be cool to see these specs in the next generation vive or rift.
    12-31-2016 08:31 PM
    Would be cool to see these specs in the next generation vive or rift.
    Think we all would like that, would be beyond amazing. Can't wait to see upgraded vive or rift specs myself.
    12-31-2016 08:38 PM
    I hope 3 things, a good price, more compatibility and better computers to handle it, because as they said at the end of the article "what kind of super computer it takes to run a 8k VR headset to run 90 frames per second".
    01-01-2017 06:20 AM
    I hope 3 things, a good price, more compatibility and better computers to handle it, because as they said at the end of the article "what kind of super computer it takes to run a 8k VR headset to run 90 frames per second".
    Well sounds like they do a lot of interpolation so they don't need to run at 8k natively. This does help on computer power requirements.
    01-01-2017 01:08 PM
    Yes I know, sometimes it does the job, but due interpollation is not exactly getting the real image, it will need a really great fractal image processing to really appreciate having 8k
    01-01-2017 05:44 PM
    Hearing about tech like this gets me excited for future versions of things like PSVR where (hopefully) game content will be strong.
    01-01-2017 08:17 PM
    Do you think that a "strong" PC could run with this headset? In my case, I have a GTX 1060.
    This resolution really seems to be crazy.
    Isn't that headset designed for VR experiences by the way, and not gaming? I think that I've read there is no head tracking, at least on their previous headset.
    01-01-2017 10:03 PM
    Well tv companies do something similiar releasing 16k tv's and such. Usually doesn't really hit consumer market far as I'm aware (never seen any at a store near me lol.) As for pc's handling 8k probably could be done but i'd watch the 4k market cause I don't think their going to jump over it to 8k. Not sure in a VR set but i think we're getting close. Most obvious thing is you can see in last 5 years Vram in graphic cards has gone from like 512mb to 8gb, so they can handle higher resolution.
    we're trying to increase resolution but i think 4k might become the sweet spot eventually.

Article here Both Nvidia and AMD are preparing for 8K: “for the human eye that resolution is close to perfection” | PCGamesN
    01-02-2017 12:37 PM
    Currently hardware can barely handle 4K let alone 8K. We are a while yet for hardware being ready for 8k.
    01-02-2017 06:26 PM
    What about the GTX 1080 though? Seems like it could surely handle 4K, maybe even 8K at medium settings. This card is a real beast.
    Last edited by GustavMahler; 01-03-2017 at 02:17 AM.
    01-03-2017 12:57 AM
    What about the GTX 1080 though? Seems like it could surely handle 4K, maybe even 8K at medium settings. This card is a real beast.
    Seems like it should but in reality it can't. Well let me rephrase that: It can't at high quality settings.

Most of today's popular games that came out this year or recently barely break 60fps on the 1080 at 4k. Let alone even reach the realm of 90fps which is what is needed by most headsets. Now most VR games probably do not have all the popular graphical features of these more advance and recent games (I am talking like BF4, BF1, Dirt Rally, The Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, GTA V) but still stands that the 1080 can barely do 4k and most people are not willign to sacrifice visual quality for the ability to run at 4k and I would further contend that if you are a VR user you are even less likely to want to reduce visual quality (Like AA) in order to run at 4k.

So to my previous statement: This next generation of hardware may be able to finally run games at 60FPS at 4K consistently. Maybe. But 8K? We are a heck of a long ways off. At least 2 generations if I had to guess if not more. If there is even a demand for it at that time. We may end up being focused on standardizing HDR displays and video cards may focus on that technology while improving 4K content. Since no one has an 8K display really

So this begs the question: Do we really need or even want an 8K headset at this time when we can't even run half of the resolution at an acceptable quality and framerate?
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    01-03-2017 07:48 AM
    I guess you are right. We should be perfecting the headsets that our hardware can run, and at the same time working towards improvement in hardware.
    But I guess that in two years we will be able to push 8k headset, given the rate in which the GPUs and hardware is advancing.
    01-03-2017 03:12 PM
    OK, not to mortify anybody, but this device is listed as $600 US, it includes 1 x PIMAX 8K VR Headset, 1 x Stand, 2 x Positioning Device, 2 x Game Controller, so mostly everything.

Here you can pre-order it: PIMAX Official Store | GearBest.com

Dawn! I want it now
    01-09-2017 11:15 AM