In this article over at Gizmodo the author suggests that spending too much time in VR could cause your mind to retrain itself and cause motion sickness in the real world. I haven't experienced this myself, but I am also fairly judicious with my VR use (mostly because it's hard to sneak away from my family for any length of time).

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a concern for you?
    12-13-2016 02:21 PM
    I'm pretty careful about my use also. I take frequent breaks, and I usually afford myself a cooling down period once I come out of VR IF I have had a rather long session to allow myself the time to adjust back to the "real world" lol.
    12-13-2016 02:56 PM
    When I was having frequent tracking issues. I would get slight judder when turning my head. I was also getting the same judder at times with the headset off!
    I think the bracket for one of the base stations wasn't screwed in hard enough to the wall.
    12-13-2016 03:25 PM
    I think you need to practice safe VR and take a break every so often. It's just something we need to get used to doing for the time being I think.
    12-13-2016 04:26 PM
    I think a lot of this type of stuff is just hype for the sake of getting clicks and readers. But then motion sickness of any type has never really bothered me, so I might just be looking out of my own little bubble, lol.

I really don't see how this would affect your non-VR experience. I can see how heavy use of VR might increase lucid dreams for many people, but anything beyond that is unlikely.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    pkcable likes this.
    12-13-2016 05:22 PM
    Well if this happens the only thing you need to do is re-teach your body about reality giving a break long enough to be safe, it's like the test where a soccer (Football) player wears a eye glasses which changes his perspectives, the first tries he wasn't able to follow the ball, after some time he was able to play as usual, once he took it off again wasn't able to follow the ball but again after some time he recovers his normal skills.
    12-13-2016 09:41 PM
    I recently read an article about a guy who taught himself how to ride a bike that had the controls reverse and then when he tried to ride a real bike he was unable to. Similar principle.
    12-14-2016 01:36 AM
    I recently read an article about a guy who taught himself how to ride a bike that had the controls reverse and then when he tried to ride a real bike he was unable to. Similar principle.
    I remember reading ages ago about experiments with using special helmets to provide 360 FOV, using that very principle. And using super strong prescription lenses, getting used to them, then getting off them.

It's all about brain plasticity. ;-)

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    pkcable likes this.
    12-14-2016 12:18 PM
    I saw a video on that, it was crazy!
    12-14-2016 03:53 PM
    Well if this happens the only thing you need to do is re-teach your body about reality giving a break long enough to be safe, it's like the test where a soccer (Football) player wears a eye glasses which changes his perspectives, the first tries he wasn't able to follow the ball, after some time he was able to play as usual, once he took it off again wasn't able to follow the ball but again after some time he recovers his normal skills.
    Sounds like riding a boat; you just get used to it rocking and what not so when you get on solid land you have a few seconds of 'sea legs' where walking feels off because you are no longer dealing with the swaying of the boat.
    12-14-2016 09:19 PM
    Sounds like riding a boat; you just get used to it rocking and what not so when you get on solid land you have a few seconds of 'sea legs' where walking feels off because you are no longer dealing with the swaying of the boat.
    That's exactly the feeling.

Fun fact, one of my female cousins while was riding the roller coaster experience, what she enjoy the most was feeling nauseous "like if she was in a real roller coaster"
    12-14-2016 10:30 PM
    Makes you wonder just how long the "average" person would need to be totally immersed in VR for that to happen.

For me, it's easy to break that total immersion by focusing on incoming light. On Oculus it's right down your nose, Daydream it's the sides. PSVR and Vive are a little more challenging, but they all exist to some degree.

Still, fascinating stuff.
    12-15-2016 11:51 AM