This is an old news, but I wasn't around so I wanted to speak about it and know what do you think of it.

For those who doesn't know what Oculus Story Studio was, it was the main project Oculus had to make shorts, movies and videos for VR headsets and it wasn't a small thing at all, the studio won an Emmy award with Henry and for sure Dear Angelica will won who know what more. I think both shorts won more small awards also.

According with the articles I read about Dear Angelica they created Quill, the tool that allow to make some painting in the air of a Virtual Reality space was developed for Dear Angelica, so it's sad to see that they are closing the studio.

I understand that Oculus is focused in creating hardware, devices and tools and not experiences and for what I read they will use the resources what were meant for the studio and give it to third parties in order to encourage those third parties to create content, but I still think they can leave a small part of the Studio alive after being so successful.

What do you think? have you tried any of those experiences?
    05-22-2017 10:54 PM
    I have not tried either of those experiences, but I have heard of them, obviously. I understand Oculus wanting to focus on the core of their business and just "pull a Google" (IE; make a reference device/software, then hand it over to general developers). Hopefully good stuff will come out of it.
    05-23-2017 03:34 PM
    I have not tried either of those experiences, but I have heard of them, obviously. I understand Oculus wanting to focus on the core of their business and just "pull a Google" (IE; make a reference device/software, then hand it over to general developers). Hopefully good stuff will come out of it.
    Man you should try at least Dear Angelica, the story is really good, corny, but good, but it's well made and give to think that it was made on Quill.
    05-26-2017 10:13 PM
    I watched both and enjoyed them both, but I guess I see where oculus is coming from.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    05-29-2017 09:49 PM
    I watched both and enjoyed them both, but I guess I see where oculus is coming from.
    Yes it could be like teaching other what can be done and just helping them to do it.
    05-30-2017 12:10 PM
    Makes complete sense. It's hard to be in all places at once so it's better to stick with what you are the best at but someone had to get the ball rolling. The studio may be closed but the talent will find another place and create more good work if they are patient.
    06-01-2017 03:03 AM
    Yes sometimes that's the way some big companies work, Phillips in Holland I remember was doing that, they develop something and then they gave away the hardware, keeping the copyrights and receiving money from it to develop the next technology.

Maybe it's not the same exact situation, but Oculus created a market for VR Movies and even some tech for it and prepared some people an showed the potential of it, and now they focus their energy in improving the hardware I guess
    06-09-2017 12:13 AM