So after so many years of R&D it's finally here, what we have all been waiting for, but is it all that it can be? What should our expectations be from something that most of us didn't grow up with, other than watching syfy movies or a series like Star Trek with the Holo Deck, most of us would only have dreamed of this being a reality and only our children will know what it's like to grow up with this type of technology. So what should our expectations be at this time? Should we have high hopes that VR will continue to evolve to something one day hopefully in the near future, we can all have affordable Holo Decks in our living rooms or are we going to have to settle for watered down version for years to come until that technology is perfected? We have already waited a long time for this to become a reality I can't imagine something that would be far more evolved than what we have now being around the corner, but then again you never know what developers have up their tech sleeves. Ok so here are my expectations for what it's worth. I for one would like the goggles to be less bulky and looking like a bug face and more along the lines of Geordi La Forge in Star Trek TNG, something far less bulky and more along the lines of integrated with the human face, to me they are more bulky then ski goggles, being a skier I have nothing against that but it gets uncomfortable, now for sound I would like to see something along the lines of bone conduction integrated into the same glasses or visor I guess it would be called. When you think about it VR goggles or glasses are not to meant to be like a Walk Man, I can't imagine anyone being able to to walk down the street wearing VR and be able to see where they are going unless, wait for it, if somehow developers are considering integrating Augmented Reality into VR and then you would have something mind boggling! Can you imagine now you are playing a VR game like ADR1FT and and at the same time it's projected on the sidewalk while you are walking down the street? I wonder if it would even be safe enough? I know it may sound absurd but then again back in the 70's who ever thought the Walk Man was possible? Back to my expectations, one thing I really would like to see is the ability for backward compatibility with any 3D game you have ever played. I don't know if that is even possible considering what's required for a game to run as VR, but that's what I would like to see. I just realized something if VR can be used for helping kids get past their fear of swimming and water like in my previous post, then perhaps a VR with AR could help kids get past their fear of Skiing or any other sport that they might be afraid of, I think that a VR /AR would be far more effective given that you are actually experiencing the act of the sport rather than just moving your hands around, but then again what I'm suggesting may be totally crazy and unsafe. So what are your expectations if you have any? I look forward to hearing them.
    09-06-2016 12:59 AM
    What I can say is this, we've done quite a bit of testing. And lots more to go at our company. VR is very much akin to when television first came out, everything can seem almost too real.

With that great power comes a responsibility though. Harassment is a real concern. And it has us personally investigating everything we know about embedded discrimination in games. It's an important year for many
    09-06-2016 02:54 PM
    I think we can expect too much, but we can't exactly know what to expect, I mean, a few weeks ago I wasn't thinking about how a lot of organizations are treating some phobias with VR, but I was expecting more from VR even when I though at that time just more hardware and games to play with.

Right now I'm only thinking about the integration of the feedback technologies like the Cynaps with the VR/AR/MR, I hope about all the VR devices being compatibles with each other and less platforms but more developers, a lot of investment is being done and the predictions are about 30 billion dollars market for VR in the year 2020, so I think it won't sink in the near future.
    09-06-2016 09:06 PM
    Nice to hear from someone in the know, can you expand more on the harassment concern please.
    09-07-2016 05:02 PM
    Yes the phobia angle is something that needs to explored to it's fullest I found the Arachnophobia application of particular interest, I know some people who can benefit from that one. The integration of feedback technologies is also a very important aspect and I'm sure it will be developed as time goes by, I can't wondering as there is so much money invested in this technology that at some point it will be something that is wired into the brain network, as long as it's not integrated like the Borg, perhaps it would something non invasive?
    09-07-2016 05:09 PM
    I don't think that right now it has to be invasive, maybe in the future, but right now is kind of amazing how you are convinced with just the few things you are receiving trough your eyes and hears, you really believe you can fall from a cliff just by the sound of the wind and by looking the cliff, so just adding a few things will make it kind of hard to being aware it's not "real"
    09-09-2016 01:01 AM
    There is no question that with that kind of VR you could treat conditions like Acrophobia, my wife suffers from a severe condition to where she can't stand on top of a car roof or second story without panicking and I would be thrilled if it could cure her.
    09-10-2016 12:48 AM