Santa Clara, CA - September 12, 2016 - Levi's Stadium: Chip Kelly head coach of the San Francisco 49ers talking to the referees during a regular season Monday Night Football game (Photo by Scott Clarke / ESPN Images)

Virtual reality use isn’t just for NFL teams to improve players’ on-field performance or engage with fans as part of a corporate activation. Now, the league will head down the path of getting its referees involved.

“We will be testing new technology for training officials, including virtual reality simulators and POV cameras,” an NFL spokesperson told SportTechie via email.

The NFL is in the early phases of developing VR training materials for the league’s referees, Chief Information Officer Michelle McKenna-Doyle told BizTech Magazine.

Through the technology integration, league officials will be able to obtain more mental reps as they practice calling game-like situations, according to the report.

Still, while little is known about how or when the virtual reality technology will be used, the league has made it apparent its deeper investment into the new medium. Over the latter half of the 2016 season, the NFL has partnered with virtual reality companies VOKE and NextVR to create virtual reality highlights packages for fans, with the latter laying the groundwork for NFL games to potentially be broadcast live in virtual reality. NextVR tested with the NFL last year to shoot three games in virtual reality while it’s currently working with NBA Digital to broadcast 25 NBA games this season on LEAGUE PASS.

Additionally, the NFL expanded upon its current relationship with Google, kicking off a nine-part virtual reality series on Thanksgiving. The series, which the NFL says is the first episodic sports program in virtual reality, gives fans an all-encompassing view of the league and its players.

“We are always looking for new ways to engage with our fans. Virtual reality is an emerging platform that enables content experiences with a truly unique vantage point that brings fans closer to the game,” said NFL’s Vishal Shah, Senior Vice President, Digital Media in a statement following the announcement.

Source: NFL To Test Virtual Reality Simulators, POV Cameras For Training Referees
    01-03-2017 02:09 PM
    Anything they can do to improve officiating would be welcome!
    01-03-2017 02:23 PM
    Anything they can do to improve officiating would be welcome!
    I'm actually not a fan of NFL but if VR (maybe you already knew it) but I think it would be fun to watch the training and also the tech behind it.
    01-03-2017 02:35 PM
    I'm actually not a fan of NFL but if VR (maybe you already knew it) but I think it would be fun to watch the training and also the tech behind it.
    Perhaps you like another type of "football" I hear those refs could use some help too! lol (Back in the day I used to moderate on a sports themed forum that had "infractions" in the form of yellow and red cards we could hand out! lol)
    Chemy JMHT and Talkivr like this.
    01-03-2017 03:24 PM
    I wonder when they will strart to use VR headset in the army for training pilots and even troops.
    My guess is that we'll see that developing in a couple of years and they'll most likely embrace VR. That is the current technology which can simulate reality the best way yet.
    Or maybe they already started doing so..?
    pkcable likes this.
    01-05-2017 03:24 PM
    I enjoy the NextVR NBA broadcasts. Hopefully NFL games can be pulled off as well as what they've done with basketball.

Getting the QB's viewpoint would be amazing...
    01-05-2017 03:28 PM
    I wonder when they will strart to use VR headset in the army for training pilots and even troops.
    My guess is that we'll see that developing in a couple of years and they'll most likely embrace VR. That is the current technology which can simulate reality the best way yet.
    My guess is they are already testing this and or using in a limited way, BUT the possibilities are incredible, from training of course but also for mission planning, and preparation. What a benefit it would be for a seal team to "practice" a rescue in VR or in simulator machines BEFORE actually going on the mission!

I enjoy the NextVR NBA broadcasts. Hopefully NFL games can be pulled off as well as what they've done with basketball.

Getting the QB's viewpoint would be amazing...
    NextVR is already doing some stuff with the NFL but they don't seem to have done the whole season. In theory they were going to do 1 game a week and have a 10 minute post game VR experience, but they seem to have abandon it in November.
    01-06-2017 09:13 AM
    Well we shall see if it helps them make better calls but I doubt it.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-06-2017 10:46 AM
    My guess is they are already testing this and or using in a limited way, BUT the possibilities are incredible, from training of course but also for mission planning, and preparation. What a benefit it would be for a seal team to "practice" a rescue in VR or in simulator machines BEFORE actually going on the mission!

NextVR is already doing some stuff with the NFL but they don't seem to have done the whole season. In theory they were going to do 1 game a week and have a 10 minute post game VR experience, but they seem to have abandon it in November.
    I just thought about the possibilities of implementing this with flying remote planes, it can be just fantastic. It could give such percision for the pilot who controls the plane from a distance like never before. The plane could also be equiped with a 360 camera.
    That's so exciting that so many new possibilities are opening up!
    01-06-2017 04:03 PM
    I just thought about the possibilities of implementing this with flying remote planes, it can be just fantastic. It could give such percision for the pilot who controls the plane from a distance like never before. The plane could also be equiped with a 360 camera.
    That's so exciting that so many new possibilities are opening up!
    That is pretty much what Drones are: Remote control planes with cameras attached. There is no reason you couldn't do that but I suspect tradition plays a big role in why people don't want to attach camera's to true RC planes.
    01-08-2017 06:46 AM
    Take a look to these threads:

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...ly-again-8453/

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...training-8452/
    pkcable likes this.
    01-08-2017 08:19 PM