One thing that is missing from the current batch of headsets is a solid sense of design. Lets face it, if we're going to be wearing these things for any length of time we might as well look good doing it. Some of you have probably seen this already, but I came across this design from this past April and had to share.

Artefact's Shadow hoodie immerses wearers in virtual reality

This is a wonderful vision and has a strong Assassin's Creed vibe to it that I love. What other designs in VR or wearables have really caught your eye?
    krisguy and LezCronut like this.
    10-17-2016 10:54 AM
    That is pretty fracking cool! It DOES have that archer vibe to it! Or ninja, or heck any FPS game!
    EgoAnt likes this.
    10-17-2016 11:43 AM
    It looks awesome for sure, but I would not use that here, looks too hot

Now seriously, I don't think the tech is here yet for such thin vr headset that could fit in a hoodie without looking WAY too bulky when not in use, but it's a nice target to aim for.
    10-17-2016 01:46 PM

Now seriously, I don't think the tech is here yet for such thin vr headset that could fit in a hoodie without looking WAY too bulky when not in use, but it's a nice target to aim for.

Looks like a nicely breathable fabric, PLUS it appears to have some additional hardware for some sort of hepatic feedback!
    10-17-2016 02:22 PM
    Agreed - I get hot enough just wearing the HMD.

Ego, this is very cool nonetheless. First I've seen of its kind, but I'm sure there are more like it down the pipeline.
    10-17-2016 05:05 PM
    Right now I think it's just a concept from a design firm, but I think the shift from bulky black devices is starting. If it follows a lot of other tech trends it will move into a fun, but cheesy, bright colour phase before moving back into a sleek design again.
    10-18-2016 09:44 AM
    This does indeed look awesome. This would be the perfect look for someone to base a YouTube channel on, IMO.

Actually, I just had a thought ... if this came to reality, maybe it could be combined with a product I've seen on ThinkGeek: an accelerometer-enabled cloak that can track certain gestures indicating "magic spells."

That might make for a killer product line.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    EgoAnt likes this.
    10-18-2016 12:16 PM
    This does indeed look awesome. This would be the perfect look for someone to base a YouTube channel on, IMO.

Actually, I just had a thought ... if this came to reality, maybe it could be combined with a product I've seen on ThinkGeek: an accelerometer-enabled cloak that can track certain gestures indicating "magic spells."

That might make for a killer product line.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    Oh yeah, that cloak and this would rock, specially if the cloak could feed the accelerometer data to this too.
    10-18-2016 01:23 PM
    it's look great, but i think the logical next step to have more user is ease of use. no more complicated setup, no more heavy headset, no more sweaty pad, no more weird controller. when every body can set up a vr headset as easily as turn off computer, and using controller as normal as mouse and keyboard than more people will accept vr
    10-18-2016 01:34 PM
    This is a really interesting point! I think i believe we are at a point where we can look at things like aesthetics of the headset and more generalised use of VR so that more users can make daily use fo the headset.
    10-18-2016 03:49 PM
    I have to agree if you are going to be wearing these things for any length of time why not look good,especially if people are going to see you doing, the headsets that make you look like you have bug eyes need to be redesigned with appeal in mind, don't you think?
    EgoAnt likes this.
    10-18-2016 10:13 PM
    I actually think otherwise. Virtual reality is currently only used mostly in gaming but also stuff eg to get a feel of virtual environments, 360 videos, even emerging possibilities in shopping experiences or conferencing. All of those, if not most, is used in our own homes, and are not really meant to be taken out of our doors anyway.

It will be quite some time before people would actually find usages of this tech in the real world (I would prefer not - imagine a bunch of people performing goofy actions that do not make sense in correspondence to the environment but to what only they themselves could see). And if they do, I believe it would be more in the form of AR rather than VR, which could easily be made presentable with the looks of glasses.

Anyway, if people only use VR at home alone - or only to the extent of having family members around, where does the priority of 'appearance' come when compared to other stuff such as comfort, immersion, FOV, or just basically the experience itself, if people were to pick something to focus on when trying to improve on this technology?
    10-19-2016 05:21 AM