Image Credit: UploadVR
    Sony is set to bring your smartphone into virtual reality for the first time with PlayStation VR, offering you supreme relaxation. Really.

The companys music division, Sony Music Entertainment, announced a new relaxation app for its upcoming headset during a Tokyo Game Show 2016 press conference. Called AnywhereVR, the experience impressively projects your phones display inside an immersive environment, enabling you to check messages and apps without having to remove PS VR.

A brief trailer revealed the project onstage, showing a woman getting home from work, putting on her PS VR unit, and finding herself in picturesque environments with relaxing background music. She then grabs her phone in the real world, which brings up the display in the virtual environment that mirrors her device. According to the trailer (which includes brilliant narration), users will be able to talk to friends, use apps like Twitter and play minigames inside the piece. Its not yet known if all smartphone apps will be supported in the app or only a specific selection, though the trailer suggested the later.

To be clear, the footage didnt seem to suggest that the app would fully replicate your phones look and position in VR; it was simply a holographic projection of the owners handset in a VR environment. Itll be interesting to see if this presents any navigation issues for users.

Judging by the trailer the experience works with Sony-branded smartphones, though the company is yet to confirm exactly which handsets might support it. Sony Music also hasnt confirmed if it will actually release outside of Japan, though its certainly something wed be interested in trying for ourselves. In fact, it might be the first time that PlayStation 4 itself has connected to phones in this way.

PS VR isnt the first headset to integrate with users smartphones. HTCs Vive also allows for access to handsets when in VR to make sure you dont miss calls or texts.

anywhereVR doesnt have a release date just yet, though PlayStation VR is set to launch around the world on October 13th.

Source: Sony's AnywhereVR brings your smartphone into PlayStation VR | VentureBeat | AR/VR | by Jamie Feltham, Upload VR
    09-18-2016 07:24 AM
    While time passes a lot of the real world will be on the VR world while you are using it.

I was trying a virtual desktop, it's nice to have a huge screen on the beach to do your task, imaging also your phone.
    09-18-2016 12:18 PM
    I'm intrigued, bit I'll hold of judgement until I see what phones support this. I'm a Windows Phone guy so I doubt I'll ever be able to use it. Unless Microsoft adds similar support to Xbox VR.
    09-18-2016 12:29 PM
    This is really cool. People without access to parks or who live in cloudy/rainy climates might get a serious boost by popping a few vitamin D pills and sitting in the "sun".
    09-19-2016 05:00 PM
    I'm intrigued, bit I'll hold of judgement until I see what phones support this. I'm a Windows Phone guy so I doubt I'll ever be able to use it. Unless Microsoft adds similar support to Xbox VR.
    I think maybe the phones won't need great hardware, maybe just if are able to send what the screen suppose to show to the computer may work, but it's just and idea, maybe it will need to be just the last and more powerful smartphone of the market with 8GB RAM and 24 Core CPU or something.
    09-20-2016 12:34 PM
    I kinda like this idea. Much better than how the Gear VR deals with it right now.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    09-20-2016 05:42 PM
    One step closer to "The Matrix"... Then I'll never want to take the headset off...
    09-28-2016 07:40 PM
    What a great idea!
    The more we can bring meatspace into the metaverse, the better the experience will be. No, I'm not talking about living in VR, haha. The concept of including a feature like this means less inconvenience when you're in an experience.
    09-29-2016 08:21 AM
    Too bad it can't track position; it would be interesting to use a smartphone as a VR controller...
    09-29-2016 09:54 AM