Above: Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto (left) and series producer Eiji Aonuma demonstrate the Wii U Zelda game.
    Image Credit: The Game Awards

We still dont know exactly what Nintendos NX platform will be, but theres a good chance it wont support virtual reality.

Following the surprising reveal of Super Mario Run at Apples press conference Wednesday legendary game developer Shigeru Miyamoto expressed doubts that the Italian plumber was right for VR headsets. Speaking to USA Today, Miyamoto noted that it was important to adapt Mario to new platforms going forward, but Nintendo still wanted families to play together, and virtual reality (which requires players to be closed off from the real world) doesnt really fit well there.

He also noted that it was hard to play VR for a long time, and the company wanted people spending long sessions on its titles. Were not sure that fits the bill for the new Mario mobile game, but exceptions can be made.

Its not the first time a major Nintendo figurehead has expressed concerns about VR. Back at E3 2016 Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime stated that the company wouldnt get involved with VR tech until it had mainstream potential, obviously disagreeing with the likes of Oculus, HTC and Sony about when that time will be. Prior to this there had been rumors that the NX itself would support VR, though it seems like this wont be the case.

That said, Miyamoto has previously confirmed the company is still looking at the tech, so there is hope for a Nintendo VR headset one day. Given the companys incredible stable of franchises, including the likes of Metroid and The Legend of Zelda, we hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

There are VR experiences out there that defy Miyamotos assumptions, though. Local multiplayer games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes offer unique takes on social play that we havent really seen before. Sony is also giving away The Playroom VR for PlayStation VR, which brings players together across a range of mini-games, not unlike Nintendos own Mario Party series.

Still, if Super Mario Run can happen, anythings possible, right?

Source: Nintendo's maestro Miyamoto doubts Mario fits VR | VentureBeat | AR/VR | by Jamie Feltham, Upload VR
    09-10-2016 04:56 PM
    It makes one wonder if Nintendo truly believes VR isn't ready, or if they just missed the boat again when designing the "NX". As an avid VR enthusiast, I can't help but to agree with some of his concerns; VR does isolate you from others in meatspace, but the idea that VR can't be social is just wrong. However, Nintendo has always had consoles that allow friends/family to plan multiplayer on the same screen in the same room. It's social in its own right, so in this context, he's right. As for play duration in a session, I tend to agree again. I've certainly had VR sessions that last for multiple hours, but most of my VR sessions include regular breaks.

Is Mario a good fit for VR? I think it's a great fit. I've played games like Herobound: Spirit Champion for Gear VR and this style of platformer works really, really well. I haven't played Lucky's Tale for the Rift, but I've heard only amazing things about it.
    09-10-2016 08:40 PM
    I seem to recall seeing an article earlier this year where Nintendo said at this time, they had no interest or intention in entering the VR arena. It's there loss I think that both Zelda and Mario Kart would be awesome for VR.
    09-12-2016 04:52 AM
    I'd LOVE a VR Mario Kart title, that's probably my top choice for a Nintendo VR title. I'd play that online with friends all the time.

It would certainly work, VR Karts: Sprint for the Gear VR demonstrates that. Unfortunately, that game lacked some factors that would make it more popular, but I played that with multiplayer with friends and we still had a blast.
    09-12-2016 08:50 AM
    I seem to recall Nintendo saying some very similar things about online multiplayer during the GameCube era...
    09-12-2016 07:32 PM
    I don't actually know where is Nintendo getting money this days, the Pokemon Go is an Augmented Reality game and it's actually a reference point, so why not make more things like that for most games?

I think Nintendo need to fit a little bit the market or create something really cheap (price, not quality) to be again between the big ones.

I would love to play Mario as I play Lucky's Tale.
    09-12-2016 07:50 PM
    I don't actually know where is Nintendo getting money this days, the Pokemon Go is an Augmented Reality game and it's actually a reference point, so why not make more things like that for most games?

I think Nintendo need to fit a little bit the market or create something really cheap (price, not quality) to be again between the big ones.

I would love to play Mario as I play Lucky's Tale.
    The 3Ds has been a hot seller. And kids still LOVE Nintendo. Add that to the cash they had from previous success and Big N will be just fine for years to come.
    09-12-2016 08:48 PM
    It's still amazing they have market with that devices, almost everything that devices do you can do it or play it with an mid range smartphone.
    09-12-2016 10:00 PM
    Glasses-free 3D plus exclusive Nintendo titles
    09-12-2016 11:46 PM