-untitled-1-1.jpg

MVR Global, a British VR startup, is set to produce the first cross platform, backwards compatible, tether free VR headset in 2017. The VR system, called the Ascend, has the ability to turn existing and future PS4, Xbox One and PC games into tether free VR. At this present time there is no other VR system such as the Ascend which also promises to be affordable from around $245 (199) when released. The Ascend will bridge the gap in the market between basic smartphone based plastic versions of the Google Cardboard and the immersive but expensive tethered high end systems like Vive, Rift and PSVR systems which also
    have a lack of high quality AAA game content.

-news-1.jpg

The MVR Ascend is a headset which doesnt function in a conventional way like others one of its most compelling features is that it will be able to play existing AAA franchise games like Call of Duty of GTA, for example, in tether free VR something no other headset can do. Another interesting feature of the Headset is that it has a flip-up front end which allows users to easily interact with the real world unlike all other headsets that need to be completely taken off to do so. The system works with smartphones or a dedicated screen that can be purchased and is necessary for Xbox One users. The Ascend headset also has built in headphones that are very comfortable which makes it easier and clutter free compared to other headsets that need additional headphones, hence more wires, connected.

The system was on show at the EGX exhibition, in September 2016, where a number of industry professionals and public alike tried and highly rated the very early stage prototype on show.

-untitled-2.jpg

The company was founded in 2012 and since then has been in R&D to create this affordable and tether free system. It will be a long time until a AAA franchise game comes to the Vive, Rift or PSVR developers will not focus on VR until it is a viable industry with a large install base. The Ascend will be released in summer 2017.

Source: https://www.vrstatus.com/news/mvrs-n...s-in-2017.html
    12-22-2016 03:33 AM
    Seems to show a lot of promise!
    12-22-2016 08:14 AM
    Sounds interesting. If it works as this article sounds, it should be a pretty great piece of hardware. I'm assuming it'll have positional tracking of some sort?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    12-22-2016 12:24 PM
    OK, I read it but i didn't totally get how this thing works, but looks like it has an external tracking transducer device with transmit to the headset, I didn't get if it required an smartphone or actually has it own screen.

Here a a video with the features, it really promises a lot:

12-23-2016 12:45 PM
    OK, I read it but i didn't totally get how this thing works, but looks like it has an external tracking transducer device with transmit to the headset, I didn't get if it required an smartphone or actually has it own screen.

12-23-2016 12:46 PM

It appears it is a shell for your phone.
    12-23-2016 09:31 PM
    It appears it is a shell for your phone.
    Yes, also they said something like it has space for the camera and because of that the AR apps, but they mention too the use of internal sensors on the HMD and it doesn't looks like has anything plugged from the headset to the phone, like an USB cable nor/and headphones jack.

Maybe it has a removable screen (would be crazy, but I like to think in all possible options) and when you want to use it with your phone you unplug the screen and put your phone on it.
    12-24-2016 09:44 PM
    This seems like a pretty ambitious idea. Not sure if it will end up being what it hopes to be.
    12-25-2016 03:14 AM
    Interesting Alternative in-between solutions that are popping up.
    12-30-2016 08:18 PM
    Will HTC and Oculus be able to embrace such an idea? I mean, since those headset are more bandwidth demanding, will a wireless option be able to transmit enough data without any quality loss?
    A wired system is uncomfortable, but seem to be the most reliable. Or am I mistaken?
    01-05-2017 03:32 PM
    Eh at its core its a shell for your smart phone. So they can get away with offloading some processing to the phone device instead of the PC. However given all we have is a concept video that we don't know if this will actually work or not.
    01-06-2017 10:57 AM