by Darrell Etherington

Intels latest processor generation is now official, and the 7th generation of Core processors looks to pack a punch. The so-called Kaby Lake lineup is the first to follow the new tick-tock-tock beat Intel has adopted for processor development, which means it keeps the same 14nm manufacturing process as its predecessor (Skylake), but theres still lots to love here, including power efficiency, speed and big potential for 4K video and gaming on the move.

Kaby Lake also introduces support for powerful new I/O options (like some of the ones rumoured for upcoming Mac hardware refreshes) including USB-C with additional functions via Thunderbolt 3, and greater support for fine pen-based input, which should complement the recent Windows 10 Anniversary Updates introduction of system-level ink support. These and other features make Kaby Lake a natural fit for ultraportables, and for 2-in-1s, the convertible category of tablet/notebook hybrids that PC makers and a decent chunk of consumers have been embracing of late.

The new processors also boast greatly improved performance for playing backhand working with 4K video, which is good news as the standard becomes more commonly supported in playback devices including TVs and monitors. VR support also gets a bump with these 7th gen Core processor.

So how soon can we expect to see Kaby Lake-powered computers on store shelves? Intel tells Slashgear the wait wont be long; chips are already being mass-produced and are going out to PC manufacturers starting in September, which launches for hundreds of units planned during Q4 this year.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/30/in...-convertibles/
    08-30-2016 03:46 PM
    I just got a laptop (MacBook) with a Skylake chip, guess I'm behind the times! ;(
    09-02-2016 08:28 AM
    And now some laptops are running the AMD R9 470 making it VR capable and also cheaper, so, updating shouldn't be as expensive as before, I really want to have a new laptop with VR capabilities.

I hope Intel make this generation cheaper than the previous one.
    09-05-2016 07:49 PM
    alas, my relatively "new" pc is hopelessly outdated already ph
    09-05-2016 11:15 PM