-heavy-rain.jpg

VR presents tremendous storytelling potential for the videogame industry. One developer wed love to see act on that potential is Heavy Rain creator, Quantic Dream. If were lucky, we may get our wish.

The Paris-based studio this week confirmed that it is experimenting with VR technology. In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, company founder David Cage confirmed that it had all VR systems at its offices, and had downloaded every game on every system in an attempt to understand what the team could bring to this medium.

That said, Cage wouldnt confirm Quantic would definitely release a VR game, stating that the studio wouldnt do it for the sake of it. Its about saying something on this medium that hasnt been said already, he explained.

Quantic Dream is known for its third-person, narrative-driven games that let users makes drastic choices. It first tested the concept with 2005s Fahrenheit (know as Indigo Prophecy in Europe), and then popularized it with PlayStation 3 exclusive, Heavy Rain. Theyre well-known for dramatic sequences, stunning visuals, and creating some of the most lifelike virtual humans every seen. Just watch its Kara tech demo (embedded above) to see what were talking about, and thats just running on a PS3. Currently, the studio is working on a PlayStation 4 exclusive named Detroit: Become Human.

Now if we project ourselves into the future, VR is going to be an interesting avenue for what were doing because if were talking about immersion and the fact that youre in the world with characters, its going to be something very very interesting, Cage added.

I had a very weird experience in a VR game, he concluded. It was during a cutscene where the characters are moving around me and I was very close to one, really looking at it. But I wasnt paying attention so when he moved forward, he went through my body. And I cant tell you how weird that felt. It was almost mystical, like someone going through you. You feel it. Your brain is tricked.

Given Quantics strong relationship with Sony, wed expect any possible VR project to appear on PlayStation VR. With Detroit not set to release until sometime in 2017, dont expect to see any news any time soon on this front.

Source: 'Heavy Rain' Developer Quantic Dream Is Experimenting With VR
    10-27-2016 01:28 PM
    I never really got in to Heavy Rain, but I liked the idea. A VR project from this team is guaranteed to be trippy as hell.
    10-28-2016 11:08 AM