News: First 13″ VR-Ready Laptop Now Available From Alienware-alienware-1000x625.jpg

For a while, only desktop computer rigs were equipped to put out the power that the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift require. It wasnt very long at all before there were laptops highlighted that could handle the load, but even those are a bit more cumbersome to move around. Now, Alienware has created the first 13 laptop that is VR ready.

Though small, innovative use of materials like anodized aluminum, magnesium alloy, steel, and copper results in a device that is durable and can withstand the higher temperatures the compact design can create.

News: First 13″ VR-Ready Laptop Now Available From Alienware-alienware-13in-vr-ready-laptop.jpg

The new Alienware 13 is powered by an H-series Intel quad-core i7 processor (the previous model had an i5) and takes advantage of the features introduced in their most recent 17 and 15 models, including a hinge-forward design for better ventilation, the new, durable TactX keyboard, an infrared camera supporting the Windows biometric Hello security system, and Tobii Aware eye-tracking software.

Most importantly, the 13s graphics capabilities are bolstered by a 10-series NVIDIA GeForce GTX which includes NVIDIA VRWorks and performs 2x faster than the GTX TITAN X. VRWorks optimizes VR output on the graphics card via virtual reality specific visual, audio, and interactive enhancements such as lens matched shading (natively render in VR shapes) and PHYSX (interaction measures to deliver realistic feedback for touch controllers). These specs combine to mark a 5x increase in graphical performance over the previous Alienware 13.

With such a form factor and durable materials, this product could inspire more people to pack their VR gear up and take it around to treat friends to the new experience. Alienwares VR ready 13 is available to order starting today in North America, has a base model that retails for $1199, and an OLED screen option (first gaming notebook with this option) for $2099. There are other configuration options available that could influence price. The laptop will be available in select European countries on November 10th and China on November 21st.

Source: First 13" VR Ready Laptop Now Available From Alienware
    LezCronut, Matty and Rohith Rohi1 like this.
    11-01-2016 05:18 PM
    $1199 is actually not too shabby for a laptop this impressive-sounding. Out of my price range right now, but not too expensive for a high end laptop. Can't wait to see what other manufacturers come up with as well.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-01-2016 07:53 PM
    That sounds like a great product. I'm usually not a fan of alienware due to their large price tags but this doesn't look too bad considering the specs! I look forward to seeing some benchmarks!
    11-02-2016 07:30 AM
    Pardon, but does this laptop have higher specs than the recently released MacBook Pro? Which one is more powerful?
    11-02-2016 09:52 AM
    This one is marvelous, just saw a video about it a while ago from Dave Lee chanel.
    11-02-2016 10:14 AM
    $1199 is actually not too shabby for a laptop this impressive-sounding. Out of my price range right now, but not too expensive for a high end laptop. Can't wait to see what other manufacturers come up with as well.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    I agree. It's not cheap but it's also a very capable laptop for a decent price

Cheers
    11-02-2016 01:47 PM
    I still find gaming laptops to be an oxymoron and VR ready gaming laptops to be a double oxymoron. No way can they deliver a good experience and not kill your battery dead in no time. Laptops don't have the thermal headroom for VR. I mean, "VR ready" GPUs of the current generation have more TDP than a whole laptop should ever have!
    11-02-2016 02:01 PM
    As soon as i saw this laptop was VR ready i was like 'and so it begins' ^_^

Really exciting stuff to have GPUs of this calibre inside 'small' laptops.
    I must set aside sometime these holidays to play on this.

its funny to think that a $4,000 Macbook Pro isn't VR ready but this is.
    11-03-2016 06:26 AM
    Pardon, but does this laptop have higher specs than the recently released MacBook Pro? Which one is more powerful?
    Ok there are some differences, the Nvidia GTX Graphic cards proved to be better for VR than the AMD so far, the new MacBook has AMD.

That's the main part of a VR ready laptop or PC, but for the rest of the computer are basically equal.

Another thing is the most popular VR HMD are not compatible with iOS right now, so you can't use a Mac for VR.
    LezCronut likes this.
    11-03-2016 07:08 AM
    I still find gaming laptops to be an oxymoron and VR ready gaming laptops to be a double oxymoron. No way can they deliver a good experience and not kill your battery dead in no time. Laptops don't have the thermal headroom for VR. I mean, "VR ready" GPUs of the current generation have more TDP than a whole laptop should ever have!
    I think it depends of your lifestyle, some people don't have a desktop computer for a matter of space or have a laptop as second computer.

Both cases your battery life isn't relevant, you can always be plugged.

But what you said about temperature is an issue to really be worried, I remember the old HP Presario C and F series laptops, those things burned and died overheating all the time, causes for the heat produced by the CPU and GPU.
    11-03-2016 07:15 AM