News: Doug Liman Shoots First Movie in Virtual Reality Format-douglimancannes.jpg

According to Deadline official report on 27th of October Invincible virtual reality film has already released and is accessible to watch on various VR platforms.

As stated by Doug Liman who is the director of Invincible, also many famous movies, it was a big challenge to shoot a movie in virtual reality format using 360-degree video cameras capturing all surroundings.

During the film making procedure Liman and his team have stopped the shooting in order to understand and find new ways for shooting 360-degree film. It took time to overcome challenges in shooting 360-degree VR movie. Liman accepted that during shooting a film in 360-degree format Limans team has gained vast experience and knowledge.

One of the most important points is that the scenery of VR project should be written especially for VR. Writing format should be drafted in VR format so that viewers would like to search actors or characters in the shot.

Doug Liman claimed that it was a pleasure for him to shoot a movie in virtual reality format. This was just the beginning of taking movies in VR mode would grow and they will make more immersive frames for the audience.

As this was the first experience for Doug Liman to shoot a VR movie and despite all the challenges he considered that VR film making would succeed. Shooting film using 360-degree cameras completely differs from classical movie making Liman cited. He added that his movies are collaborative which is the most important point during the film making.

Source: https://www.vrstatus.com/news/doug-l...ty-format.html
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-28-2016 12:51 PM
    hmm this should be interesting to watch
    10-28-2016 01:15 PM
    hmm this should be interesting to watch
    Yeah I have pretty high hopes after looking up his name and realising he has directed some films I've liked.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-28-2016 01:45 PM
    I'm really curious to know how this will work. Is VR something that can be deployed in a movie theater?
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-28-2016 02:48 PM
    I'm really curious to know how this will work. Is VR something that can be deployed in a movie theater?
    180 VR video could be deployed in a traditional movie theatre with enough investment. 360 on the other hand would require a fully custom built theatre for standing or at least barriers put up to separate people. Or I perceive there would be a lot of headsets bashing into one another as people turn around. We are in the age of streaming so any 360 content could still generate enough revenue through home use. In theory.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-28-2016 03:06 PM
    180 VR video could be deployed in a traditional movie theatre with enough investment. 360 on the other hand would require a fully custom built theatre for standing or at least barriers put up to separate people. Or I perceive there would be a lot of headsets bashing into one another as people turn around. We are in the age of streaming so any 360 content could still generate enough revenue through home use. In theory.
    I agree with you on how it might be implemented. Costly to be sure. I'm also curious to know the social implications of such a thing. Part of the movie going experience is that it is shared with others visually and audibly. You can see and hear how other are reacting. What happens to that dymanic with a fully immersive experience? The decisions that creators will have to take will be very interesting to see play out.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-31-2016 09:55 AM
    He directed Bourne Identity? Oh my can't wait for this movie.

So the movie is titled Invincible? And has been released on various VR platforms? Such as? Play Store? Where can I watch it?
    10-31-2016 10:11 AM
    Do you think individual VR headsets will be a cheaper investment than installing gigantic screen?

And this is where we come to the discussion whether VR should best be used at home or at cinema. I've mentioned this in another thread actually. So what do you think?
    In the future will VR be used in cinemas or mostly home use?

Problem is: an integral part of the cinema experience is the phenomenal sound system. Few can afford such a level of home theater. So, in the future will cinemas replace huge screen with individual VR headsets + sound system or will VR stay within the comfort of our home?
    10-31-2016 10:25 AM
    The movie sounds intriguing, despite not knowing the subject matter. Do you know what platform(s) it's available through? Or has it not yet been released?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-31-2016 11:41 AM
    Well, if they manage to gain traction, this bodes well for the future!
    11-01-2016 04:59 AM
    I feel that this could only work if it was only released for personal VR headsets. But I'm a sucker for the perfect shots that directors and cinematographer want us to see. Having 360 view kinda removes that ability...since one might not be looking exactly where they want you to.
    VirtuaTyKing likes this.
    11-01-2016 06:07 PM
    It may be nonsense, but I would love to see old ssome of my youth in format VR, something like for example Saint Seiya
    11-01-2016 06:09 PM