-alcatel-onetouch-idol-4s-1000x553.jpg

Microsoft revealed a new line of PC-based virtual reality headsets from partner companies that will support its upcoming Windows 10 upgrade, the Creators Update. But it looks like PC-based VR isnt all the company is working on.

Following the conference, Quartz reporter Dave Gershgorn uncovered a now-removed T-Mobile listing for a new variation of Alcatels Idol 4S smartphone. Whereas the original device runs on Android, this new edition is named Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows 10 VR. Its bundled with a headset and comes loaded with VR apps. Supposedly-leaked training materials from the network had previously hinted at its existence, suggesting it will include a 2.15GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. Its 5.5-inch AMOLED display is said to have a resolution of 1080p.

-whatsapp-image-2016-10-26-15.43.46.jpeg

Of course, the mention of VR is the bit were actually interested in. The wording could simply be a slightly misleading way of mentioning the bundled headset. However in light of yesterdays news, in which Microsoft stressed that it would be bringing its push for 3D apps and services to all Windows 10 devices, it certainly seems possible that the company is perhaps planning its own mobile VR apps if not a Daydream-style ecosystem for the mobile version of Windows 10. Weve reached out to both Alcatel and Microsoft for clarification.

The VR bundle appears to only be available for a limited time. The older version of the phone was also bundled with a headset.

3D on mobile did play a big part of Microsofts presentation. At one point, a Windows 10 phone was used to capture an on-stage sandcastle and quickly render it in 3D. It was then sent to other apps and devices like the new Paint 3D app and brought to virtual life inside the companys HoloLens mixed reality headset. Its easy to envision Microsoft releasing the same apps that will let you see this content on mobile, especially considering the companys recent focus on unifying devices. But the question is if it has any bigger plans than that.

Either way, it doesnt seem like the headset bundled with the new Idol will include some of the intriguing new features revealed in the PC-based devices unveiled yesterday, like inside-out tracking. But, if the company is using its HoloLens tech to achieve that tracking, perhaps we could one day see it in a mobile-based device too.

Source: Alcatel's New IDOL Smartphone Comes With 'Windows 10 VR'
    10-28-2016 06:06 PM
    Actually what I read from Windows Blog was this:

Each IDOL 4S with Windows 10 comes packaged with virtual reality goggles included as part of the in-box bundle. The headset is designed so that the phone snaps into the goggles for an user-friendly virtual reality experience where you can play three dimensional games or watch 360 degree videos. When you buy an IDOL 4S, you’ll also receive a free 45-day trial for Hulu Plus, an additional 30-day trial for Groove Music and a free copy of the Windows 10 Mobile game Halo: Spartan Assault.
    Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...TwvtCiGotks.99
    So it's not already charged with Windows VR (hopefully it will be as all other windows devices) but VR friendly.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...th-windows-10/
    11-02-2016 12:48 PM
    Actually what I read from Windows Blog was this:

So it's not already charged with Windows VR (hopefully it will be as all other windows devices) but VR friendly.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...th-windows-10/
    Even so, these are great news. I even though the Alcatel Idol 4s with windows mobile was vaporwear...

Cheers
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    11-02-2016 01:44 PM
    Personally, I thought Windows mobile was dead. Am I wrong? this push for VR on windows mobile feels like a "Me too!" to Cardboard and Daydream.
    11-02-2016 01:57 PM
    I used to own a Lumia 640XL and had it when it was updated to Windows 10. I enjoyed the experience however among the things I wish it had was Continuum and the camera to be a tad better. Maybe one day I will go back.

I have yet to read up on Microsoft's VR announcement but I find it cool they are are offering a VR option for Windows fans. Will be investing to learn if they included certain features from Hololens in their VR.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-02-2016 03:54 PM
    One thing I guess for sure will restart the race for Windows Phone will be releasing a good VR experience, if they achieve that old goal of turn our phones into Windows Computer just adding the Monitor (I think we have the CPU and GPU power to that right now) they for sure might be releasing the Windows Phone VR in short time
    11-02-2016 06:24 PM