News: Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, and Lenovo will ship Windows 10 VR headsets, starting at 9-screen-shot-2016-10-26-10.39.12-am-930x362.png

At a Windows 10 event in New York today, Microsoft said that third-party companies will be coming out with affordable virtual reality (VR) headsets for Windows 10 PCs. With these headsets, users will be able to experience mixed reality content like a 3D version of a real sand castle customized in the new Paint 3D app on desktop.

Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, and Lenovo will be bringing the headsets to market starting at $299, said Terry Myerson, executive vice president for Microsofts Windows and Devices Group.

By supporting the launch of these new devices, Microsoft wants to avoid the cost and complexity of powerful VR headsets like the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, and even Microsofts own HoloLens augmented reality (AR) headset. And because theyll work with Windows 10 PCs, they might not require all the high-end specs youd find on a powerful desktop VR rig a laptop may be just fine on its own.

Theres zero need for a separate room, zero need for a complicated setup, Myerson said.

The headsets will be the first with inside-out six-degrees-of-freedom (6DOF) sensors, Myerson said.

Earlier this month, Google introduced its own low-cost Daydream View VR headset that works with certain Android devices.

Source: Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, and Lenovo will ship Windows 10 VR headsets, starting at $299 | VentureBeat | AR/VR | by Jordan Novet
    10-26-2016 03:49 PM
    That's fantastic that the headset is at such a great price but the cost of buying a laptop that is capable of running VR well is going to be a chunk of money... However the 6DOF sounds like a fantastic idea! Does that mean that you could potentially walk around your house while walking round your house in VR??!!
    10-26-2016 04:10 PM
    That's fantastic that the headset is at such a great price but the cost of buying a laptop that is capable of running VR well is going to be a chunk of money... However the 6DOF sounds like a fantastic idea! Does that mean that you could potentially walk around your house while walking round your house in VR??!!
    I think it just means that they won't need separate lighthouse sensor's. It's just a guess though. You would either need AR or a very complex chaperone system to do that I imagine.
    10-26-2016 06:04 PM
    In theory for what I read here in another webs, yes you will be able to walk around a little bit, but you need to consider that the main purpose of the sensors inside the Headset are more to transform your position to the virtual reality environment, not to get information from your surroundings, you will be able to move maybe just inside of a room not around your house.
    10-26-2016 09:16 PM
    I couldn't or overlooked, can you tell me when is appreciation that these VR computers go on sale?
    10-27-2016 05:57 AM
    In theory for what I read here in another webs, yes you will be able to walk around a little bit, but you need to consider that the main purpose of the sensors inside the Headset are more to transform your position to the virtual reality environment, not to get information from your surroundings, you will be able to move maybe just inside of a room not around your house.
    Still a great idea nonetheless! It would be interesting to see what it turns out as!
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    10-27-2016 05:49 PM