For many years, humanity believed that the future is in our hands, but Neurable, a start-up company founded by University of Michigan graduate students, believe that the future is in our thoughts, and they will develop the software to prove it.

The idea is part of Neurable's vision to create a world that removes people's limitations, and it believes the answer lies in the human brain. More specifically, it wants to remove very real physical limits by controlling physical objects through virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR).

Now that sounds a lot like science fiction but Neurable seems intent to turn it into science fact because the tech start-up has some really great minds in its team who are experts in the field of neuroscience, machine learning, engineering, gaming, and business.

Neurable has been gaining attention not only for its ideas but its business plan, as well. After all, the team would not have wowed judges and won a total of $330,000 at the Rice Business Plan Competition (RBPC) in April if its plan is not even possible.

What exactly did they present to stand out and win against 40 teams and 400 business plans? Neurable only successfully developed the first non-invasive Brain-Computer Interface (BCI), which allowed untrained humans to control technologies such as electronic wheelchairs, robots and even cars.

Now, months later, the star-up announced that it has received $2 million in funding to forge ahead with its dream of unleashing the human brain's full potential through VR and AR.

"Neurable's brain-computer interface uses electroencephalography to record brain activity, analyze data and provide users with full three-dimensional control in real time [...] Neurable transforms augmented and virtual reality by placing the user's mind in the center of the experience," Neurable's website explains.

However, the company has no intention of building its own physical device on which its software would run. The Neurable team is betting that some of electroencephalogram (EEG) device will make its way into VR and AR headsets in future models so, instead of building their own, it would rather focus on improving its Software Development Kit (SDK) to ensure that most, if not all, AR and VR headsets can run its software.

"[We] want to become that piece of software that runs on every hardware and software application that allows you to interpret brain activity. That's really what we're trying to accomplish," Neurable President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ramses Alcaide said in an interview.

Source: This Startup Aims To Build Brain-Powered Virtual Reality And Augmented Reality Software : TECH : Tech Times
    12-27-2016 08:37 PM
    A lot of movement on the brain only controller front but I still feel like without the feedback aspects it won't be any easier than what we have. Hopefully thought their SDK will mean a lot of use into the realm of people with disabilities being able to more fully explore places they are otherwise unable to.
    12-27-2016 09:37 PM
    This reminds me of many years ago when I was really into a software company called The Other 90% (iirc). They had a GSR-based finger sensor so you could interact with certain games with "only your mind," but it didn't really catch on. It was a little buggy and I suspect most people didn't want to play games with what looks like a medical device on their finger. ;-)

I, on the other hand, was excited about it and checked it out. I always wished it'd gotten developed more ... and now it looks like it might be. Thank you for sharing this.
    12-28-2016 05:35 AM
    This reminds me of many years ago when I was really into a software company called The Other 90% (iirc). They had a GSR-based finger sensor so you could interact with certain games with "only your mind," but it didn't really catch on. It was a little buggy and I suspect most people didn't want to play games with what looks like a medical device on their finger. ;-)

I, on the other hand, was excited about it and checked it out. I always wished it'd gotten developed more ... and now it looks like it might be. Thank you for sharing this.
    My grandfather had something like that when he had ALS it was always fascinating to me the amount of control over the computer he could do with just his thumb. Unfortunately computers back then were pretty primitive and he could use it to select pre-recorded words and form sentences. Eventually they took it down. No idea why.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    12-28-2016 06:23 AM
    My grandfather had something like that when he had ALS it was always fascinating to me the amount of control over the computer he could do with just his thumb. Unfortunately computers back then were pretty primitive and he could use it to select pre-recorded words and form sentences. Eventually they took it down. No idea why.
    That's one of the reasons I wished that technology would have gotten developed more. It would've been so useful for so many people.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    12-28-2016 12:07 PM
    Reminds me of hack sign or SAO. Though wouldn't it exclude your other senses putting farther from VR goal of immersive experience (unless your good at tricking your brain?). I think people would adopt this for more medical or other purposes rather than gaming.
    12-28-2016 12:40 PM
    Reminds me of hack sign or SAO. Though wouldn't it exclude your other senses putting farther from VR goal of immersive experience (unless your good at tricking your brain?). I think people would adopt this for more medical or other purposes rather than gaming.
    I think for that we need a way to stimulate our own neurons to trick them into experiences that really aren't happening. Which would likely prove more immersive then trying to replicate so many things in real life.
    12-28-2016 04:53 PM
    I think this is mostly aimed at people who couldn't use VR normally because of mobility issues. At least, that's what I see the target market as being. If you can't hold the Vive wand or Oculus Touch, you can't use VR. Well, unless it's gaze-based navigation.
    12-28-2016 08:53 PM
    I think this is mostly aimed at people who couldn't use VR normally because of mobility issues. At least, that's what I see the target market as being. If you can't hold the Vive wand or Oculus Touch, you can't use VR. Well, unless it's gaze-based navigation.
    yeah thats what I was thinking. Outside of the medical use it probably won't be used as expansively.
    12-28-2016 09:45 PM
    Well this technology I think will be taken by the military wanting to control war drones or even exoskeletons and Ironman-like suits, hopefully it turns to the commercial and public use for a lot of people with limitations.
    12-29-2016 11:36 PM
    Exoskeleton suits for sure. Soon we will have giant mechs everywhere and the world will be perfect....lol
    12-30-2016 08:38 AM
    Exoskeleton suits for sure. Soon we will have giant mechs everywhere and the world will be perfect....lol
    Are you talking of Titanfall-like for war or the Alien movie-like used to work?

I would like something like the Surrogates movie, but not a society like that.
    12-30-2016 08:21 PM
    I am thinking Alien movie-like used for work would be the most likely version we will see.
    12-31-2016 05:43 PM
    I am interested in the way the brain could be artificially altered so it is convinced it is falling, flying etc. in order to convey a much more realistic VR experience.
    Because we are all just trying to Invent bulky, physical accessories that are worn and provide a decent experience.
    But it all comes down to the brain in the end.
    If we can have direct access there, we don't even need VR glasses.
    I guess that we will get there one day.
    01-01-2017 10:42 PM
    That's also kind of scary but I for sure will going to try it.
    01-03-2017 06:44 PM
    Yeah, if this kind of VR system is not installed correctly, I would say you are risking dying
    But still, I know it is a very scary matter, but I am sure that it will happen in the future, even though that in the next couple of years (or maybe decades) VR headsets will still rule.
    01-04-2017 04:48 PM
    That's why in the risky things I want to be one of the first of trying, but not the very first

I think next decade the VR/AR/MR will be handle by the same device, maybe even a contact lens or something.
    01-08-2017 08:43 PM