For Alex Kipman, Chief Inventor of Microsoft HoloLens, it seems so.

It is interesting for him to share this as he does not specify when or how this will happen.

Unless someone invents a "focus" (like in Horizon Zero Dawn) I think cell phones will be around for a while still.

I mean, Microsoft is looking at probably making more phones.

Source: Bloomberg
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    05-04-2017 06:34 AM
    If hololens gets to the level where it's just like a normal pair of eyeglasses with the lenses fully used as display and input is solved I could imagine it replacing cell phone use. I'd expect to carry a separate device that it would serve as an interface to for quite a while at first though even if the rest gets small enough soon though and that device might be a cell phone, maybe with less emphasis on it having it's own display though.
    05-04-2017 07:30 AM
    I think Google knew that this is where it was going to end up, but they were too early with Google Glass. I will put $$$$ on it that eventually we will have HMDs as our primary interface, but still keep the slab in our pocket.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    05-04-2017 10:34 AM
    I think a lot of people already dreamt about it, most sci-fi movies from this era has maybe a virtual interface you see in MR like the Iron Man suit and maybe a virtual input mechanism in the wrist where a keyboard and some stuff like that.

I think we will head in that direction, but maybe in more than 5 years (I know it sounds too little but I believe in science), a lot of companies re trying to give the market some glasses to project what the smartphone is showing directly to our eyes and a bunch are creating ways to interact with it also not directly with the smartphone, so the smartphone could be the brain and the interface for the human could be on some eye contacts or something.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    05-07-2017 09:55 PM
    Yeah I think that is where we will end up but we are a decade or two from it. Contact lenses and glasses that look normal is what we need and we are still a while from that. Though as I get older I seem to shy away from the idea of any sort of implant because it would be too experimental by the time I could even consider getting them so I will settl efor external devices lol.
    05-08-2017 09:06 PM
    come'on @pjs37 nobody is too old for experimental body implants :P

Yes, you are right about some, but right now are a few almost normal glasses which can be use just to show information and some are pretty nice (projects so far)

Like this one which I would glad to wear everytime:

We were talking about the Vuzix while ago here and in some other threads:

https://forums.vrheads.com/augmented...rial-use-8516/

And on CES 2017 they showed this model:

So maybe it will be sooner than expected, of course there is something to consider, the $3000 price tag of that is something only a really few percent of the world will be able to buy.
    05-08-2017 10:05 PM
    come'on @pjs37 nobody is too old for experimental body implants

Yes, you are right about some, but right now are a few almost normal glasses which can be use just to show information and some are pretty nice (projects so far)

Like this one which I would glad to wear everytime:

http://www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/u...ed-reality.jpg

We were talking about the Vuzix while ago here and in some other threads:

https://forums.vrheads.com/augmented...rial-use-8516/

And on CES 2017 they showed this model:

https://www.digitalbodies.net/wp-con.../vuzix3000.png

So maybe it will be sooner than expected, of course there is something to consider, the $3000 price tag of that is something only a really few percent of the world will be able to buy.
    This looks cool! Hope to learn more about this in the future.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    05-09-2017 07:23 PM
    I hope that won't happen
    09-08-2017 06:34 AM