Microsoft releases the PC system requirements for Windows 10 VR

Last month Microsoft announced their Win10 VR series of headsets, which will release at prices starting at $299 and will not require any external tracking system like the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift.

This series of VR headsets will come to market in 2017, with the company partnering with ASUS, Acer, Dell, HP and Lenovo to bring this VR headset to market. Aesthetically this headset looks more similar to PlayStation VR than the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive, with the mass of the headset resting on your forehead rather than strapping the headset directly to your face.

Now Microsoft has announced the PC system requirements for the Win10 headset, confirming that the headset is designed for creativity, productivity and media viewing purposes rather than high-end gaming like the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift.

The PC system requirements for Microsoft's Windows 10 VR headset are basic, requiring 4GB of RAM, a DirectX 12 compatible GPU, support for USB 3.0 devices and at least 4 CPU cores.

The Win10 VR headset will not require and external tracking setups but instead use an internal tracking method, removing the need for a dedicated VR playing space with a lengthy setup process. This will no doubt sacrifice some accuracy when ti comes to tracking, but it will make the headset a lot easier to use as well as significantly reduce the cost.

This headset will be coming from multiple manufacturers, each of which will have their own personalised design in mind, giving each a slightly different look and feel. Right now it is unknown if different manufacturers will be able to make any changes outside of the headset's aesthetics, like using different screen refresh rates or resolutions.
    Matty likes this.
    11-22-2016 02:44 PM
    Would have thought the requirements to be a bit more. Especially in the video card department. That being said, we shall see what DX12 compatible cards/ram will be required/recommend in the future.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-22-2016 03:29 PM
    Would have thought the requirements to be a bit more. Especially in the video card department. That being said, we shall see what DX12 compatible cards/ram will be required/recommend in the future.

DirectX 12 is currently supported on all Nvidia GPUs based on Kepler and Maxwell. That’s the vast majority of the 6xx series and all of the 7xx and 8xx graphics cards. Fermi support is coming soon, which will extend support all the way back to the 400 and 500-series as well.

AMD supports DirectX 12 on all GCN-class hardware dating back to the launch of that family in 2012. All AMD GPUs from the HD 77xx family (or above), the HD 85xx family (or above), and the Radeon R5 family (or above) all support DirectX 12. This includes the various iterations of GCN, from 1.0 – 1.2.

RAM it's just 4GB or more.

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...e-capabilities
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    11-22-2016 11:18 PM
    Cool! Thanks for the info!

11-23-2016 06:14 AM
    So i think my Dell Inspiron 1520 isn't quite good enough.
    2GB RAM, 2.0Ghz Dual Core, 128 GB Storage and USB 2.0 :P

Maybe time for an upgrade i think lol
    11-24-2016 03:28 AM
    So i think my Dell Inspiron 1520 isn't quite good enough.
    2GB RAM, 2.0Ghz Dual Core, 128 GB Storage and USB 2.0 :P

Maybe time for an upgrade i think lol
    That thing is a beat...for its time :P

11-24-2016 05:27 AM
    no way that point/mouse is that good against floating applications as shown in the video. Hand-held pointer-mouses have been around for age and someone has yet to make one that actually works. I suspect that it’s not due to lack of trying – just difficult in reality.
    11-28-2016 01:51 PM