There are far too many of these no-name VR headsets. Honestly, I know I sound negative here, but I would not recommend buying these.

WHY??
    When it comes to VR, hardware is very important, but at a point, software becomes much more important.

These headsets may be fantastic in terms of controllers and response times and battery, etc., but they don't have developer support. Aka, they lack quality content. Sure, they will probably support Google Cardboard games, but this is nowhere near the quality you'll receive from something like the Gear VR. If you want Google Cardboard content, just get a cheap Google Cardboard headset.

To summarize, enjoyable VR experiences rely on new, well-designed content, and that means developer support. It will not be long before developers focus on the following hardware for quality experiences that are worth your time:

High end VR hardware:
    -HTC Vive
    -Oculus Rift
    -PSVR

Low-middle end VR hardware:
    -Gear VR
    -Google Daydream

If you want to stay on the affordable side of VR, wait for Google Daydream to be released as a platform and get a compatible phone. Cardboard is fine in the meantime, but don't get ripped off with a mediocre headset that runs the same content.
    09-18-2016 03:27 PM
    Here's an example of the crazy number of generic VR headsets currently available (screenshot from a Google Cardboard compatible app on the Google Play Store):
    Attached Thumbnails The influx of generic VR headsets needs to stop-20565.jpg  
    09-18-2016 03:31 PM
    Unfortunately this is just the way the marketplace works. If someone can make a profit off of something, then everyone is going to try. The market always corrects itself eventually and most of the companies making subpar products go away. Hopefully they don't trick too many uninformed people out of their money first.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-18-2016 03:34 PM
    Hopefully they don't trick too many uninformed people out of their money first.
    Exactly, that's what bothers me. In fact, part of the reason for this thread is to be a warning to others!
    the_moesiah likes this.
    09-18-2016 03:41 PM
    I don't agree here, competition is what makes improvements in this field, that list has a lot of tested brands, for example: Zeiss is one of the best brands in optics in the world (the Hubble Space telescope always wear Zeiss lenses).

StarVR (the one which will be using iMAX to replace 3D) was once a little brand before Acer bought it, OSVR is a to of the line brand also.

That list doesn't worry me, as I said the list is full of devices tested by Google to play cardboard like games and apps, the ones which worries me the hidden brands who are trying to pass like HTC, Oculus, Razer or Sony and the lack of standards for VR and an organization not in charge of that.
    09-18-2016 07:32 PM
    I don't agree here, competition is what makes improvements in this field, that list has a lot of tested brands, for example: Zeiss is one of the best brands in optics in the world (the Hubble Space telescope always wear Zeiss lenses).

StarVR (the one which will be using iMAX to replace 3D) was once a little brand before Acer bought it, OSVR is a to of the line brand also.

That list doesn't worry me, as I said the list is full of devices tested by Google to play cardboard like games and apps, the ones which worries me the hidden brands who are trying to pass like HTC, Oculus, Razer or Sony and the lack of standards for VR and an organization not in charge of that.
    You're correct and I agree that competition is good, but these aren't even competitive. Most of these are practically obsolete before they even hit the market.

If these new hardware products want to stand out, they need stand out features and software. They need developers to be interested in developing for a unique platform.

I admit that you are right about something else as well. Some people are happy to just use Google Cardboard apps and not everyone has a new Samsung phone for Gear VR to use that exclusive content. However, I stand by my recommendation to go with Gear VR if you have a Samsung phone or wait until Daydream is released and get a compatible phone if you want better VR experience without the price tag of a Rift, Vive or PSVR.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    09-18-2016 08:20 PM
    Honestly, most of the headsets you listed here are Google Cardboard clones with a feature or two added on (Zeiss, for exmaple). The others have a specific goal in mind. StarVR isn't aiming for consumers like HTC and Oculus. OSVR is a science project, and will never be taken seriously.

It's a lot, and I can see consumer confusion being a real problem come Christmas, but this rush isn't going to shake itself out so much as become more clearly defined. The Cardboard clones hopefully won't be a problem as Daydream is made clearer, but we won't know for sure until it arrives!
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    09-19-2016 09:18 AM
    I think then and now knowing that the Gear VR has a lot more than the others, I think the recommendation is, if you are about to change your phone and you want to use it for VR also, you better buy a Samsung VR compatible and a Gear VR, otherwise you will be wasting money no matter what.
    09-19-2016 10:34 PM
    Unfortunately this is just the way the marketplace works. If someone can make a profit off of something, then everyone is going to try. The market always corrects itself eventually and most of the companies making subpar products go away. Hopefully they don't trick too many uninformed people out of their money first.
    Agreed, but also, by having all these 'knock off' products, it get the popularity up and more people become aware of this new product. Hopefully that can translate into more purchases of legitimate high quality VR headsets
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    09-20-2016 02:17 AM
    And there is always the option a big brand buys some of this to improve their products.
    09-20-2016 10:11 AM