I was kind of surprised to find no comments or discussion on this article, VR is being used to help kids conquer fear of swimming - VR Source they are now starting to use VR in Sweden to help kinds conquer their fear of water. This is really awesome, when I was was a kid I was I think about 4 or 5, I had a bad trauma in a swimming pool in Vegas, kind of like drowning I lost a lot of water confidence and didn't really gain it back till I was around 8 I had to go to swim school and lose my fear of drowning. If there was a VR swim program I think I would have gained my confidence back a lot sooner! Anyone have a similar experience you think VR may have helped you conquer your fear over?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-05-2016 05:57 AM
    I hadn't seen that article yet. Thanks for sharing it! It's something my son could benefit from, though he's been working hard at overcoming his fear on his own. A couple years ago, we went on a paddle boat at a park and he tried to climb out without help when we docked. Unfortunately, the boat moved away and he fell straight in the lake.

Popped right back up thanks to the Puddle Jumper life vest, but still scared the heck out of him and he's only just recently progressed back to going to the bottom step in our community pool.

Too bad this is Swedish and not US.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    09-05-2016 09:08 AM
    Well, here in the Forum are a couple of articles talking of how are using VR to treat a lot of problems and fobias (I posted an article about how the treat arachnophobia).

But also it's a so recent technology (the good one, the VR exist for awhile but was pretty bad before) that we don't even imagine what is the real limit of it, maybe a patient in coma may be taking out of it with VR and we don't know and hadn't tried.

VR is a great tool and it's just starting.
    09-05-2016 03:30 PM
    Your welcome, that's a shame about what happened with your son, how old is he? As I shared it can be quite traumatic at an early age, I think that given time this will be used everywhere especially here in the U.S. where so many children who aren't swimming by age 4 have to go eventually to swim school to learn to swim, I was really surprised to find out just how many kids don't know how to swim in the U.S. suffice it to say swim schools make good money teaching kids who never really learned how to swim, or lost their confidence at an early age like me. My little boy will be 5 in March and other than wading in our home pool he hasn't learned how to swim and probably will have to go to swim school, I should mention he's special needs and somewhat autistic though.
    09-05-2016 10:49 PM
    Yes it's truly a gift and not just for entertainment, I think I read recently about how they are either talking about it or already using it for medical practices specifically surgeries, I'll have to see if I can dig that article up, I think also I read something about it being used in law enforcement as well.
    09-05-2016 10:51 PM
    So here is the article I was talking about regarding Doctors and Surgery and VR, I think that this is going to help decrease the chances of botched surgeries given the fact that surgeons will actually be able to practice virtually before operating, I know I would feel better, should I ever need serious surgery, knowing the surgeon I had to have operate on me had that advantage. https://virtualrealityreporter.com/v...l-application/
    09-05-2016 11:59 PM
    Your welcome, that's a shame about what happened with your son, how old is he?
    He's five now. He's been getting over it, slowly; having fun around the pool, sitting on the steps splashing people, etc. It doesn't help that our community pool is always ice cold, lol. Despite that, he's walked down the steps and gotten in the water up to his chest.

He doesn't want to stop being at the pool once we're there. That's probably the best sign.

RumoredNow likes this.
    09-06-2016 04:59 AM
    That's awesome. In the rush to game, I think more practical and educational aspects are taking a back seat in consumer's interest. Thanks for bringing this forward.
    09-06-2016 10:39 AM
    That's what I"m saying there is so much more potential than just games, imagine what exploring inner space would be like, imagine being able to virtually explore the human artery system, wow the possibilities are endless!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-06-2016 12:32 PM
    Well no doubt that age can scar a kid for life, I should know, but seems like your son made it through the trauma without it being an issue, I"m sure an ice cold pool is not going to be the most conducive to any kid for learning to swim I sure wouldn't have liked it, than again I don't like going in a sauna and then going duking in cold water like in a river. I was just thinking It would be great if the public libraries offered some kind of VR tools for kids who either don't have VR at home or can't afford it, I wonder if some are considering doing that?
    09-06-2016 12:37 PM
    I know Google has been doing their Cardboard for Education stuff, taking it around the country and sharing educational experiences with classrooms. They've been working out the kinks of having everything synced by the teacher while still allowing freedom.

I don't know if Samsung/Oculus has any plans of that nature, though; they keep having the warning about the 13 year old minimum age. If the Gear VR supported something like that, it'd be miles ahead of Cardboard simply because of the better quality.

Sim_8_3 likes this.
    09-06-2016 07:45 PM