I visited the google pop up store in NYC and tried the daydream headset. Honestly i was really disappointed with the resolution and the fact that the phone got really hot. It made the phone so hot that my glasses fogged up and i had to stop.

I'm still not sure if google has the right approach to VR . A standalone device probably would make more sense, provided it is cheap enough. I'm still not sold on VR as yet
    Edit: a word
    Last edited by segag1; 10-26-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    10-26-2016 03:23 PM
    So far my Pixel gets hot on its own sometimes, withOUT the help of VR. I can imagine VR will exacerbate this problem. Limited use, and/or breaks should help.
    10-26-2016 03:38 PM
    Hi welcome to Vrheads.
    That's a shame to hear. Keep an open mind and try other headsets if you get the chance I hope.
    10-26-2016 03:40 PM
    Really? Interesting. Glad I didn't bother getting a Pixel. I may wait for the next generation of Pixel and Daydream
    10-26-2016 03:44 PM
    Very good resort not so much for families on a budget but it is really relaxing it is paradise!!! Mermaids had expensive food though very worth it. House keeping was absolutely perfect but I would personally like other staff to be more happy because of course you are at Day Dream Island!
    10-26-2016 04:03 PM
    I visited the google pop up store in NYC and tried the daydream headset. Honestly i was really disappointed with the resolution and the fact that the phone got really hot. It made the phone so hot that my glasses fogged up and i had to stop.

I'm still not sure if google has the right approach to VR . A standalone device probably would make more sense, provided it is cheap enough. I'm still not sold on VR as yet
    I agree. That's why I bought the HTC Vive. But its an expensive piece of kit...
    krisguy likes this.
    10-26-2016 05:16 PM
    Will certainly try more headsets, but i'm still on the fence about VR. I had high hopes from daydream.
    10-26-2016 05:31 PM
    Wow.
    10-26-2016 05:31 PM
    That's a shame that the Pixel gets that hot.
    10-26-2016 05:49 PM
    Daw that's lame... as a poor college student that's gonna need a new phone soon anyway and that doesn't like Samsung devices, I had high hopes for Daydream as my only way into VR (besides Cardboard). Still, I hope we hear better things in the coming weeks as Daydream finally comes out... perhaps it's some sort of efficiency problem that a software update might fix. That, or, I'm looking forward to seeing what other phones are gonna be released, that are Daydream-compatible.
    10-26-2016 06:29 PM
    Anybody have an idea of what the battery life is like on the Pixel using VR?
    10-26-2016 07:06 PM
    Interesting to know, and from two sources (segag1 & pkcable).

And I was reading about the new headsets to come for Windows 10 starting in $300. so maybe we can keep our old phone (not mine, this one is asking for retirement in the form of bricking since weeks ago).

Anyways I think the estimated of $100.000.000 in ads will help Google to sell it so it will help VR in some way, also will press other brands to do it better.
    Last edited by Chemy JMHT; 10-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    10-26-2016 08:38 PM
    Really i thought the pixel with the VR would run cool, guess i was wrong.
    10-26-2016 09:40 PM
    Yeah, using your phone for VR is going to make it heat up. The screen is constantly on and active and with cellular, WiFi, and BT turned on, it is going to run the SoC constantly. The only option that doesn't make that happen is Cardboard with very basic apps (my experience).
    10-26-2016 11:38 PM

Thats interesting to hear. i know people who own a Pixel XL and they have told me the phone NEVER gets hot, not even slightly.
    The fact that it misted us your glasses is quite funny lol

Maybe you were just unlucky with the device. The resolution obviously cant be changed and only over time when (In my opinion) devices get 4K resolutions which is unnecessary, you can have much better VR experiences.
    10-27-2016 01:20 AM
    Aw bummer. I was really excited to try Daydream out, esp due to the fact that it has its own motion controller and comes relatively cheap as well
    10-27-2016 06:30 AM
    Thats interesting to hear. i know people who own a Pixel XL and they have told me the phone NEVER gets hot, not even slightly.
    The fact that it misted us your glasses is quite funny lol

Maybe you were just unlucky with the device. The resolution obviously cant be changed and only over time when (In my opinion) devices get 4K resolutions which is unnecessary, you can have much better VR experiences.
    I agree, I dont think they need 4k but just give it some time and the hardware and software will get better.
    10-27-2016 07:31 AM
    Hopefully Google gets their act together here regarding the heating issues. With the body design of the Pixel line from a material standpoint (metal), heat absolutely had to be an anticipated issue. This is the biggest reason I've hesitated on moving to the Pixel. I've been hanging onto my old, tired HTC M8 for far too long. I want to make the move to the Pixel but Google chose to omit certain expected features (removable storage, water and dust resistant) found on other premium line phones. This makes me wonder what the mindset is for the Daydream. If you can't get the most pivotal piece of technology right (the phone), why am I to assume that the its companion piece will be anything different. Having said all of this, even with its obvious shortcomings, the Moto 360 continues to thrive...so what do I know? I'm going to once again take the "wait and see" approach read what real users have to say after the initial adrenaline rush dies down.
    10-27-2016 08:20 AM
    I can't wait to try this thing. It will be like going to see a movie that you know nothing about. I don't feel like they really tell you exactly what it is when you see the commercial.
    10-27-2016 08:32 AM
    I have had my Pixel for exactly 1 day so please take my experience as anecdotal evidence only! It could have just been the phone was VERY busy settling in downloading/restoring etc.

I don't want to start Pixel "heatgate"! It's certainly no BlackBerry Priv (good hand warmer!) or dare I say it, Samsung Galaxy Note 7! lol
    10-27-2016 09:34 AM
    I'm a bit sad to hear this. Even still, I was sort of holding out for the Tango phone anyway.

I'll hopefully get a chance to try Daydream soon.
    10-27-2016 10:29 AM
    Hmm. Hopefully it's just a fluke, but the Samsung phones get hot using VR as well, so it's not terribly unexpected. I have to say I was concerned a little that the Pixel is enclosed, whereas the Samsung phones are (able to be) open to let air circulate and cool them off.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-27-2016 10:29 AM
    How is your pixel now?
    10-27-2016 01:17 PM
    That's interesting that it heated up so much. Other than your glasses fogging up, was the heat uncomfortable? I don't know how I feel about having a phone heating up that close to my face, especially after what's happened with the Note7...
    10-27-2016 01:33 PM
    How is your pixel now?
    Been tethering for hours and its cool as a cucumber!
    10-27-2016 03:24 PM
52 123