Hello HTC and VR mobile fans!

Word has it that HTC plans on releasing a VR mobile headset later this year. As with the Daydream and Gear VR, HTC's VR mobile headset will also utilize the use of a smartphone. This comes from HTC CFO Chia-lin Chang. Chia-lin has also mentioned that HTC has "good plan in terms of combining mobility with VR" and the headset won't simply be "a phone slapped into a headset."

The interesting part is the quote of him saying it own't simply be "a phone slapped into a headset". Make me wonder if they will release a VR mobile HMD with built-in Snapdragon or Tegra. If so, one thing that comes to mind would be the heat. If they do something with a SoC, hope they find a way to keep us cool

No details about price at the momment.

What say you? You think having a VR mobile headset without using your phone would be a cool idea?
    krisguy likes this.
    02-16-2017 06:07 PM
    If it uses the Viveport store, I'm in. Probably won't even have to ask the price, this is a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!" moment.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-16-2017 08:56 PM
    Maybe this is the way for me to have the Holy Trinity !

LOL

Well I think the might be after something between the Daydream and the ViVE, I think that way because they already stated that the ViVE won't have a new version anytime soon, so maybe it's as you said a All-in-One VR headset more powerful than the cheap ones already on the market mostly brand-less, but with the ability to work with PC.

So being a mobile VR with Steam VR capabilities will be for sure a good competition to the Gear VR and the Daydream.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-17-2017 07:11 PM