Hello HTC and VR mobile fans!

Word has it that HTC plans on releasing a VR mobile headset later this year. As with the Daydream and Gear VR, HTC's VR mobile headset will also utilize the use of a smartphone. This comes from HTC CFO Chia-lin Chang. Chia-lin has also mentioned that HTC has "good plan in terms of combining mobility with VR" and the headset won't simply be "a phone slapped into a headset."

The interesting part is the quote of him saying it own't simply be "a phone slapped into a headset". Make me wonder if they will release a VR mobile HMD with built-in Snapdragon or Tegra. If so, one thing that comes to mind would be the heat. If they do something with a SoC, hope they find a way to keep us cool

No details about price at the momment.

What say you? You think having a VR mobile headset without using your phone would be a cool idea?
    Octopus_ring likes this.
    02-16-2017 06:05 PM
    How did I miss this! We should all keep our eye on the VRHeads front page for more news on this I'm sure!
    chica_dlxii likes this.
    04-17-2017 08:23 AM
    What say you? You think having a VR mobile headset without using your phone would be a cool idea?
    Sure it would be cool, but what source of VR content it will be use? It would be powerful enough for HTC Vive content?
    04-18-2017 07:44 AM
    Absolutly!!!!!
    04-18-2017 03:33 PM
    Sure it would be cool, but what source of VR content it will be use? It would be powerful enough for HTC Vive content?
    Hopefully more info will be made. For me, as long as the performance is good with decent battery life it will be a win in my book.
    04-18-2017 08:12 PM
    Hopefully more info will be made. For me, as long as the performance is good with decent battery life it will be a win in my book.
    Yet another competitor platform? I am an HTC fan indeed but a smartphone will never have the processing power of a PC and content will be scarce, for sure. Just look at the content available on the other platforms.

Cheers
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    04-19-2017 04:12 AM
    You are correct that PC's have more power than phones,,, BUT today's phones are faster and more powerful than computers of a few years ago...
    Octopus_ring likes this.
    04-19-2017 06:58 AM
    I would do anything to get one of these.. They looks so cool...
    04-19-2017 08:01 AM
    You are correct that PC's have more power than phones,,, BUT today's phones are faster and more powerful than computers of a few years ago...
    Exactly. Of course smartphones do not have power of GTX 1080, but I'm sure they can run more interesting and beautiful content than we have now.
    04-19-2017 08:10 AM
    I believe the best design for this phone would be to put in some bonked down version of a HTC Vive headset where all the inside-out tracking happens on the headset itself and all the gameplay and everything is streamed from a PC
    04-21-2017 03:03 PM
    Hi guys,sorry to post here, but i'm struggling to find participants for my univercity study... It would be graet if you take a few minutes to participate!
    We are students from Germany and searching for VR interested people from the US and Canada for university survey.
    The survey is anonymous and take about 12 minutes.You have the opportunity to win one amazon voucher ($50, $25, 5 x $5).
    This is the link: http://ssi.hs-neu-ulm.de/Master_SS17/GR_3/login.html
    Thank you very very much!
    04-22-2017 12:08 PM