I did a search but couldn't find any discussion on this does anyone know how these two VR compare and contrast one another?
    Thanks
    curepute likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:26 PM
    The psvr is a virtual reality headset that puts you into another world. Hololens is an augmented reality headset that adds to or changes real life, the key concept is holograms. So where psvr immerses you into a game or program that is completely separate from the real world, Hololense changes the real world.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-08-2016 10:51 PM
    Windowdee is 100% right, they don't compare much at all. Virtual Reality devices like the Vive, Oculus and PSVR take you into another world and don't interact with the real world much. The HoloLens never prevents you from seeing what is around you in the real world, it just adds things into it.
    09-09-2016 02:14 PM
    I see so in other words they are two different animals and here I thought Hololens was going to be just another VR setup for Xbox One, so then will Microsoft be coming out with it's version of VR anytime soon?
    09-10-2016 12:20 AM
    So it's pretty much a AR device unlike the AR games and Aps I have on my IPad for example the GhostBusters game where you can see through your rear facing cam, but it's much more sophisticated.
    09-10-2016 12:23 AM
    So it's pretty much a AR device unlike the AR games and Aps I have on my IPad for example the GhostBusters game where you can see through your rear facing cam, but it's much more sophisticated.
    Yeah, you're in the right direction. However, like in the way that VR seems like you're actually in that world, AR (Hololens) makes you feel that those virtual elements are in YOUR world. For example, you could be sitting in your living room and see your actual living room... but with the power of AR, you could have a 100" TV screen pinned to an actual wall in the room! Pretty great stuff.
    09-12-2016 09:09 AM
    I want to play Minecraft in HoloLens so so bad. Playing in Vive and Rift is great, but having something like a sandbox on my living room floor and, say, having my cat walk through it would be something else entirely.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-14-2016 05:55 PM
    I read that the best way to explain the difference between VR and AR is saying VR is like glaring Pacman and AR is like playing Pokemon Go.
    09-14-2016 09:51 PM
    I read that the best way to explain the difference between VR and AR is saying VR is like glaring Pacman and AR is like playing Pokemon Go.
    Glaring? Did you mean to say playing? I agree, it's like VR is playing on 3D arcade machine, and AR is like you said Pokemon Go. Pretty much sums it up.
    09-14-2016 11:18 PM
    I want to play Minecraft in HoloLens so so bad. Playing in Vive and Rift is great, but having something like a sandbox on my living room floor and, say, having my cat walk through it would be something else entirely.
    Well as a cat lover and person of 2 big wonderful cats I can't disagree with that, the only thing is will they be able to see the sandbox? Probably not, but that might be good thing, they might mistake it for a litter box, lol
    09-14-2016 11:20 PM
    Yeah, you're in the right direction. However, like in the way that VR seems like you're actually in that world, AR (Hololens) makes you feel that those virtual elements are in YOUR world. For example, you could be sitting in your living room and see your actual living room... but with the power of AR, you could have a 100" TV screen pinned to an actual wall in the room! Pretty great stuff.
    I'm trying to conceptualize the description of the 100" TV screen, and is that because you are wearing lenses that can make it appear to look like that?
    09-14-2016 11:25 PM
    I'm trying to conceptualize the description of the 100" TV screen, and is that because you are wearing lenses that can make it appear to look like that?
    Yes, it gives you the same feeling than being in a movie theater. Today I watched a movie with the Rift and you can even select the place were you are and I chose the movie theater my brother always chose the Moon.
    09-17-2016 08:25 PM
    I did a search but couldn't find any discussion on this does anyone know how these two VR compare and contrast one another?
    Thanks
    You need to look up Hololens review videos on YouTube. That will clear things up for you.
    09-18-2016 12:30 PM
    Well as a cat lover and person of 2 big wonderful cats I can't disagree with that, the only thing is will they be able to see the sandbox? Probably not, but that might be good thing, they might mistake it for a litter box, lol
    Bahaha only you would be able to see the sandbox!
    09-19-2016 04:57 PM
    Bahaha only you would be able to see the sandbox!
    Well then that's alright, I got too many accidents in my living room as it is with Miss Kitty, haha.
    09-21-2016 03:10 AM
    Well then that's alright, I got too many accidents in my living room as it is with Miss Kitty, haha.
    You both are making want to have a silly cat!

I don't know but if Microsoft makes the real interaction with the surrounding will be amazing, like watching the cat destroying something from the virtual world because it's walking around.
    09-21-2016 02:24 PM
    You both are making want to have a silly cat!

I don't know but if Microsoft makes the real interaction with the surrounding will be amazing, like watching the cat destroying something from the virtual world because it's walking around.
    You mean like a Cat Godzilla destroying your living room? That would be so funny! I wonder if they could actually make that happen?
    09-22-2016 01:50 AM
    You mean like a Cat Godzilla destroying your living room? That would be so funny! I wonder if they could actually make that happen?
    Exactly! you are playing Minecraft and the cat is destroying everything, but the HMD should be able to track it, and I don't know how good it will be to do that.
    09-22-2016 07:19 AM
    Exactly! you are playing Minecraft and the cat is destroying everything, but the HMD should be able to track it, and I don't know how good it will be to do that.
    A lot of people would want to have that and if you could capture that for later viewing like on a DVR that would be awesome.
    09-22-2016 09:42 PM
    Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner!

Ok, so here's an awesome demo of what it's like to watch video with the Hololens.
    Quick background on the video before you watch: The camera that we're watching through is specially set up to see all the holograms that the guy wearing the hololens sees.
    (That's how we're able to see the screens (holograms))

09-29-2016 08:34 AM
    Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner!

Ok, so here's an awesome demo of what it's like to watch video with the Hololens.
    Quick background on the video before you watch: The camera that we're watching through is specially set up to see all the holograms that the guy wearing the hololens sees.
    (That's how we're able to see the screens (holograms))

That sure did explain it, all I can say is wow, just wow!
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-30-2016 01:38 AM
    That's a great video actually, and a big way of what is coming next.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-30-2016 06:44 AM
    That sure did explain it, all I can say is wow, just wow!
    Yeah, it's mindblowing, right? If you have some time, head over to YouTube and just search for HoloLens videos, the stuff that can be done is amazing!
    09-30-2016 02:31 PM
    My only hope is they don't price it too high where the normal public won't get it.
    09-30-2016 03:15 PM
    My only hope is they don't price it too high where the normal public won't get it.
    I just posted my thoughts on Chemy last article, but I'll say it again, someone needs to come up with a VR/AR Hybrid that won't break the bank so everyone can enjoy this new magic and afford it.
    09-30-2016 06:49 PM
34 12