Will Hollywood go full throttle on VR in the future?
    I mean will every movie be made into VR format in the future?
    curepute likes this.
    10-22-2016 10:49 AM
    Well that's something hard to tell, right now most of the movies and shorts for VR are just to show the actual capabilities.

Maybe the first step will be being just 360 degrees view movies which is very possible in the next years, because remember 360 degrees view doesn't mean VR.

There is also a developing process for AR and holographic videos which is pretty interesting but I think we are decades away of it.
    10-22-2016 10:59 AM
    I personally wouldn't want to watch a regular movie in 360 degrees. Besides not begin able to stay in one position and be comfortable. I would constantly feel like I would be missing something going on. The ability to digest actors performances would be difficult or limited. Would be cool for action sequences but that's it for me with movie. Music video's, documentary's and short films work well though. I found U2's 360 music video very moving. I also think that 360 theatre performances would be awesome. I would trade not being very comfortable for the experience.
    Last edited by VirtuaTyKing; 10-23-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    10-22-2016 11:38 AM
    Personally I dislike 360 youtube videos as I don't know where to look... Maybe this is because of how the video is made; if my view was directed in a direction by the video then it would be a much more interactive and enjoyable experience. So I don't think that Hollywood could do full VR films as it would spoil the emersion to have to redirect the watchers' attention to another portion of the screen, never mind the quality loss (as the video has to be stretched over the full 360, a common problem with VR video with the current technology) however I look forward to whatever comes next.
    10-22-2016 06:34 PM
    Besides not begin able to stay in one position and be comfortable. I would constantly feel like I would be missing something going on.
    Same here. I feel that movies aren't supposed to be 360, as it has a plot to follow and every scene usually only focuses on one event that is happening, so why do you need to look all around you? Personally I feel that VR is more suited to content like experiences and such, while movies focus more on a storyline, and not the experience of watching it.
    10-23-2016 02:19 AM
    I am a bit curious but dont really know if it would be comfortable having to move my head to see what's going on...lets wait and see. Resolution for movies sucks, at this point.
    10-23-2016 06:28 AM
    Film making has to be completely re-invented for 360 video. There shouldn't be a point in space that you have to look at in order to keep up with the plot. Rather things happening around you should work as several layers that complement each other, so you can re-watch the movie again and again and notice something different and interesting every time. If this is done well it could be an amazing experience.
    badelhas and LezCronut like this.
    10-23-2016 08:09 AM
    Film making has to be completely re-invented for 360 video. There shouldn't be a point in space that you have to look at in order to keep up with the plot. Rather things happening around you should work as several layers that complement each other, so you can re-watch the movie again and again and notice something different and interesting every time. If this is done well it could be an amazing experience.
    Your telling me that there isn't a proper and good VR movie out there yet?
    10-23-2016 09:01 AM
    I beg to differ with comments which sound off. Well VR is immersive. Who doesn't want that experience?

Imagine flying an X-wing through crumbling or exploding death star or narrow canyon. While the pilot is flying the jet we can look up and around. Or a battle scene would be terrific too.

I mean immersive truly 360, I think Hollywood will make it. No doubt about it.
    10-23-2016 10:33 AM
    There's huge possibility that every movie be made into VR format in the future.
    10-23-2016 10:39 AM
    That's what these threads are for to share opinion's. I like the enthusiasm for the idea of 360 movies. I'm sure Hollywood will try it.
    Will it become mainstream and replace regular movie viewing? I have many reasons to think it will not. I have no doubt that the possible use of 360 Video will open the door to some cool experiences though. I watched a short horror film in which your pushed through a mental asylum in a wheel chair. It was first person, immersive and was a cool ride. Ride being the operative word though. I look forward to seeing what else can be pulled off though.
    10-23-2016 12:50 PM
    Knowing Hollywood and having worked inside the industry once a upon a time, I would have to say no, at least not at first, most production companies and studios are not going to jump in feet first like the Adult industry has done, that said it's funny how the Adult industry tends to inspire the main stream industry, so if the producers and studios see the $$ rolling in from the Adult industry than they may be more inclined to jump in, I predict they will take the approach of testing the waters and see if it's a good fit and when it becomes more of a norm for everyone they will most likely jump in with both feet.
    10-24-2016 01:01 AM
    Hard to tell because vr is still in its infancy. I would not want to see a movie in vr because I want to see the whole movie not just where I turned to.
    10-24-2016 01:30 AM
    If Hollywood would venture into 360 movies, I would vote it to be shorts ones (belwo an hour) in order to "test the waters" sort to speak. Watching a 2 hour movie in VR? Will just say the head mounted display better be the lightess one in the world lol.
    10-24-2016 08:27 AM
    Unlikely to be anytime soon, plus it would be difficult to make a whole movie for vr compatibility. Plus it wouldn't be all good since the director can't make you focus on what they want you to focus on. And transition from one scene to the next would naturally be clunky.

And that says nothing about the demand side of things, since a movie would be more intensive and may make people nauseous or tired.

So while there would be some of it, I just don't think it'll catch on.
    VirtuaTyKing likes this.
    10-24-2016 10:42 AM
    Your telling me that there isn't a proper and good VR movie out there yet?
    I haven't seen any VR movies, I just assumed no one had made one that didn't suffer from being like a normal movie, only with a bunch of useless space. Are you telling me there is a movie that utilizes 360 video for it's advantage with a good storyline, good actors and breathtaking visuals? Cause I wanna see it.
    10-24-2016 01:11 PM
    VR movies are two qualitative steps into the future, not one. IMHO, the hierarchy goes as:
    • 2D movies
    • 3D movies
    • 360 movies
    • VR movies

Since 3D movies aren't yet the default, I feel it unlikely that we will move to 360 any time soon. Problem is, you don't really need that big of a change in cinemas for 3d, just changes to the projector room, but the screen is the same, etc. 360 and VR require powered headsets for everybody, not just passive polarized glasses. Since they're 3D experiences, people with visual impairments that make 3D cinema not a thing for them will have the same issues with 360 cinema. Once you have the infrastructure for powered headsets with built in screens for everybody, then you can move to VR. VR is mainly 360 with interactivity.
    10-24-2016 01:24 PM