I realize that smart phones are not a VR topic but smart phones like the Galaxy Note 7 are used with VR Gear and other VR headsets so technically it is. When I say heads up I means heads up. If you have not heard the U.S. Consumer Protection And Safety Commission has asked users to stop using the Note 7 due to reports they have been "exploding" apparently it's a overheating lithium battery issue, now can you imagine you have the phone in your VR headset and that happens? I don't think it would be pretty, might even send you to the hospital or even leave you blind! If you have this phone there is a an exchange program in effect and you should get it exchanged before risking the same thing that has been reported happening to others. "The FAA is even considering banning customers from bringing a Galaxy Note 7 on-board flights."

Source: US CPSC: stop using Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Gizmo Fresh
    Last edited by Sim_8_3; 09-12-2016 at 04:50 AM.
    09-12-2016 03:30 AM
    I saw some of the pictures this morning! Apparently one of the Note 7s blew up a guy's Jeep! Look at this!

Heads Up CPSC  Says "Stop Using  Samsung Galaxy Note 7"-14225424_348191992186378_6975175070972148113_n-large_trans-ney7fnzugdhymje75jc0ggehkf07moizu1u6.jpg

There have been close to 40 reports of Note 7s exploding so far, makes you wonder how this slipped through quality control.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-12-2016 09:56 AM
    What a coincidence, I was just about to post this story here as a follow up, here's a link "This guy says his Note 7 destroyed his Jeep" This guy says his Note 7 destroyed his Jeep - Android Authority, I guess they need to revise their "quality control" I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet to someone while they are using it for VR, I really think that would do some serious damage if it literally "blew up in your face"
    Last edited by Sim_8_3; 09-12-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    09-12-2016 12:43 PM
    This latest failure is not looking good for Samsung I just read this and they are in big trouble over this "Investors finally realize how bad the situation is for Samsung" "Following a flurry of regulatory warnings about the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Electronics’ shares took a beating today on the Korea Exchange."

" Samsung’s stock saw its biggest intraday drop since 2012, plummeting 7.6 percent. When the 3.9 percent drop from Friday is taken into account, the loss in market value amounts to a staggering $19 billion."

"Meanwhile, a Note 7 allegedly burst into flames in the hands of a 6-year boy from New York. The child was rushed to the hospital with burns on his body, though the severity of his injuries is unknown. The incident comes after exploding Note 7’s were associated with the destruction of a Jeep and a garage in the US." This is starting to remind me of all those hover boards that were exploding and catching on fire.

Source: Investors finally realize how bad the situation is for Samsung - Android Authority
    09-12-2016 12:55 PM
    Reminds me of this....

Chemy JMHT likes this.
    09-12-2016 01:58 PM
    Reminds you of this?
    09-12-2016 08:36 PM
    @Sim_8_3 did you watch the video @pkcable posted?

I totally think is like the video says, sometimes the equation doesn't work according to reality so they need to blame someone, other times it simply works as expected and "nothing" happens.

We where talking about the situation of the Kid in another thread yesterday, but I don't remember the thread.
    09-12-2016 09:32 PM
    No, because at the time I looked at his post there was no video, hence my response, I will now though, so any of you guys ever heard of #Mercuryretrograde?
    09-13-2016 01:33 AM
    I watched the video and it's interesting to consider the facts presented, but for me it really doesn't matter how many may be out there that may need to be recalled, all that matters is if I or a loved one is affected by the car that should have been recalled or in this case the phone that could easily have exploded in my face if I had used it for VR viewing.
    09-13-2016 01:36 AM
    Okay everyone. I am putting out there that I work for AT&T so I can lend some truth. EXCHANGE YOUR NOTE 7 RIGHT NOW. AT&T is giving a S7 or Edge or Active and will change the installments to match the new phone. When inventory comes in, then you can return that phone for a good Note 7. Check with the store you bought it from, and if you can't get them to do this, go to a carrier corporate store and have them do it.
    BioFanatic, pkcable and Chemy JMHT like this.
    09-13-2016 10:22 AM
    i never actually thought about what would happen if someone was using their device playing VR and the battery well yeah. Your poor face lol.
    It seems like there have been 70+ reported cases of things going wrong. Definitely not the best day/week/Month for Sammy.
    09-14-2016 01:55 AM
    Scary stuff! Lawsuits galore! Tragic as money can't repair some of the damage that's done.
    Surely there is an independent governing body that determines the safety of device's? How did this slip through?
    09-14-2016 03:33 AM
    The apparent "fix" for this right now is to not charge past 60%. Hopefully, Samsung can get new (and improved) units out asap, because this is a PRPRPR$nightmare$.
    09-14-2016 09:32 AM
    Okay everyone. I am putting out there that I work for AT&T so I can lend some truth. EXCHANGE YOUR NOTE 7 RIGHT NOW. AT&T is giving a S7 or Edge or Active and will change the installments to match the new phone. When inventory comes in, then you can return that phone for a good Note 7. Check with the store you bought it from, and if you can't get them to do this, go to a carrier corporate store and have them do it.
    I believe the other providers have similar deals, BUT the bottomline is DON'T TAKE A CHANCE If this wasn't serious enough they would not be doing the recall!
    09-14-2016 10:02 AM
    Thanks for letting everyone know I hope they do the right thing and take advantage of the offer.
    09-15-2016 12:26 AM
    I believe the other providers have similar deals, BUT the bottomline is DON'T TAKE A CHANCE If this wasn't serious enough they would not be doing the recall!
    Exactly companies don't announce recalls because they want to, they do it because it's a consumer awareness issue and they don't want to risk the repercussions like future product liability lawsuits. On a side note I was talking to a Note 5 owner the other day and he said it was only like 1 percent of the phones out there, but still that's a big number when you consider how many are out there!
    09-15-2016 12:28 AM
    The apparent "fix" for this right now is to not charge past 60%. Hopefully, Samsung can get new (and improved) units out asap, because this is a PRPRPR$nightmare$.
    I would say that information needs to be spread on a widespread constant basis at least to anyone who is not going to exchange their phone, not only a PRPRPR$nightmare$, $but$ $investors$ $nightmare$ $as$ $well$. $Does$ $anyone$ $else$ $see$ $those$ $dollar$ $signs$? $they$ $aren$'$t$ $in$ $my$ $edit$ $field$, $weird$
    09-15-2016 12:31 AM
    i never actually thought about what would happen if someone was using their device playing VR and the battery well yeah. Your poor face lol.
    It seems like there have been 70+ reported cases of things going wrong. Definitely not the best day/week/Month for Sammy.
    All it takes is 1 in 70 and if the explosion leaves the person blind, big time product liability law suit!
    09-15-2016 12:34 AM
    All it takes is 1 in 70 and if the explosion leaves the person blind, big time product liability law suit!
    1 in 70?
    09-15-2016 07:31 AM
    Yes because there are 70+ reported cases, so I'm saying that if just 1 out of say 70 or more explodes in their face it could leave them blind of course it's possible it could be more than 1, but even if it's just one it could cost Samsung a big liability and reputation.
    09-16-2016 05:50 PM
    I know it may sounds stupid, but I never trusted the Samsung new devices, since all my friend with those were having problems, as I think a lot of you should be, I'm one of the guys who the family and friends ask for help when they have problems with their tech related stuff, and I got a lot of MicroSD cards burned, devices with broken, batteries swollen, devices getting really hot and more stuff like that.

Something amazing was all the people speaking good things about the new Note7, giving it away in contest, making tests and none of the reviewers got any problems with those devices, also, so far most of the reviewers I follow had said a single thing about it, sounds like Samsung at first bought a lot of people to sell the phone and then bought the same people to keep in silence.
    09-17-2016 12:29 AM
    I love Samsung devices, never had any problems with them, personally.

The current issue with the Note 7 is serious, I'm not forgetting about that.

However, the phone itself is fantastic and deserves all the recognition it received before the current recall. Once that's sorted out, it still will be arguably the best Android phone on the market.
    09-18-2016 11:21 AM
    I love Samsung devices, never had any problems with them, personally.

The current issue with the Note 7 is serious, I'm not forgetting about that.

However, the phone itself is fantastic and deserves all the recognition it received before the current recall. Once that's sorted out, it still will be arguably the best Android phone on the market.
    What do you think about the earlier versions of the Galaxy like S5 and s4? used price certainly is reasonable.
    09-21-2016 02:07 AM
    I know it may sounds stupid, but I never trusted the Samsung new devices, since all my friend with those were having problems, as I think a lot of you should be, I'm one of the guys who the family and friends ask for help when they have problems with their tech related stuff, and I got a lot of MicroSD cards burned, devices with broken, batteries swollen, devices getting really hot and more stuff like that.

Something amazing was all the people speaking good things about the new Note7, giving it away in contest, making tests and none of the reviewers got any problems with those devices, also, so far most of the reviewers I follow had said a single thing about it, sounds like Samsung at first bought a lot of people to sell the phone and then bought the same people to keep in silence.
    Well I don't know, I think it might be the newer batteries that you have to take the phone apart to replace unlike say the Galaxy S5 that all you is take the cover off, but then again Iphones have had that type of battery for a long time, I never heard about one of them exploding, so it could be just bad batteries, still I would rather not have to take a phone apart to replace a battery, it just doesn't seem normal.
    09-22-2016 08:46 PM
    This video does a real good job of explaining possibly why the Note 7 is exploding.
    09-22-2016 08:54 PM
29 12