This guy combined an iPhone and an HTC Vive to make a virtual camera (sort of like the ones used for Avatar and Inside Out)

When a movie is more CG than it is real — think movies like Avatar or any of Pixar’s stuff, where all or nearly all of the environment is rendered — a new challenge appears: the camera.

Getting a fake camera (like the one in a rendering program) to move and behave like a real camera (like the one that the camera guy is traditionally holding) can be a pain. Testing a scene from a whole different angle is less “hey, let’s try that again real quick and I’ll shoot it from over there,” and more “hey, let’s tear open keyframes and rework a bunch of carefully set parameters.”

James Cameron and the folks at Pixar have been solving this with “virtual cameras” — physical camera-like devices that let videographers shoot fully virtual scenes much like they would shoot any scene in the real world. They tie a simulated camera to the movements/orientation of a real-world camera proxy, and push everything the simulated camera “sees” back to a display on its real-world counterpart in real time.

As you might expect, these virtual camera rigs are… not cheap.

Kert Gartner, the VFX artist behind the REALLY, REALLY good mixed-reality trailers for VR games like Space Pirate Trainer and Fantastic Contraption, has hacked together a solution of his own:

So what are you looking at?

Kert is having Space Pirate Trainer render another view of the game to a second camera, independent of the player’s, in one corner of his screen. He’s using an open source project called jsmpeg-vnc to push what this camera sees to his iPhone in near real time. Meanwhile, he’s using a third HTC Vive controller (beyond the two the player uses for the game) to capture the location and orientation of the rig, and is using that to control the aforementioned in-game camera view. Strap the iPhone and an HTC Vive controller to a handheld stabilizer and bam! — he’s got a virtual camera built out of gear he already had lying around.

It doesn’t look like it does all the crazy stuff the Cameron/Pixar rigs do — those can do stuff like tweaking the simulated F-stop and focus (which would have to be accounted for at a software level in every game/environment with a rig like this in mind, which complicates things a good bit). But for a project hacked together out of existing components, this is awesome — and hopefully, just the first step.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/21/th...nd-inside-out/
    12-26-2016 08:36 AM
    This is some cool stuff. Ingenuity never ceases to amaze, huh?
    12-26-2016 09:18 AM
    Now that is something I can see VR being useful for. You can create a virtual studio environment and "film" in this environment without the added costs of having to travel there and get permits etc. This is certainly exciting. Of course we would need a bigger version of room scale but I can see that being able to be scaled up. All very interesting.
    12-26-2016 10:11 AM
    Now that is something I can see VR being useful for. You can create a virtual studio environment and "film" in this environment without the added costs of having to travel there and get permits etc. This is certainly exciting. Of course we would need a bigger version of room scale but I can see that being able to be scaled up. All very interesting.
    Fortunately the rumors say the next generation won't use the satellite cameras/sensors so maybe it means more freedom and a larger area to "play".
    12-26-2016 05:36 PM
    It kind of reminds me of a project I worked on years ago called "Video Flashlight". It was a bit different as it synthesized your viewport from multiple stationary cameras. It allowed you to fly through the space so you could pick any viewing angle for the covered area. Think of a virtual skycam without wires or a moving camera. One experiment in an airport allowed automatic reorienting the viewport to perform accurate face and iris recognition. There was an audio version of this as well that could pick out individual conversations in a crowd. Cool but scary.
    12-27-2016 10:04 AM
    Recording in mixed reality without any costs or having to take a step into it
    12-27-2016 05:08 PM
    It would also let you do some interesting scenes that would normall require a lot of special effects like hot and cold enviroments
    12-27-2016 07:21 PM
    It kind of reminds me of a project I worked on years ago called "Video Flashlight". It was a bit different as it synthesized your viewport from multiple stationary cameras. It allowed you to fly through the space so you could pick any viewing angle for the covered area. Think of a virtual skycam without wires or a moving camera. One experiment in an airport allowed automatic reorienting the viewport to perform accurate face and iris recognition. There was an audio version of this as well that could pick out individual conversations in a crowd. Cool but scary.
    I'm a bit curios, what were you doing that? to whom are you working for?
    12-27-2016 08:11 PM
    I'm a bit curios, what were you doing that? to whom are you working for?
    This was back when I worked for DSRC (David Sarnoff Research Center). At that time they were a for-profit division of SRI (Stanford Research Institute), before that they were RCA's research laboratory. They did research and development in all sorts of areas. I had my hand in MPEG algorithms, video and image processing, iris scanning, traffic-light camera systems, object recognition, drug discovery, laboratory on a chip, digital cinema, and so on. I developed hardware, firmware, and software for DSRC until I co-founded a startup (now 14 years old) that develops hardware and software solutions for very large integrated circuit design houses in order to manage their design data reliably and securely.
    12-28-2016 09:26 AM
    This was back when I worked for DSRC (David Sarnoff Research Center). At that time they were a for-profit division of SRI (Stanford Research Institute), before that they were RCA's research laboratory. They did research and development in all sorts of areas. I had my hand in MPEG algorithms, video and image processing, iris scanning, traffic-light camera systems, object recognition, drug discovery, laboratory on a chip, digital cinema, and so on. I developed hardware, firmware, and software for DSRC until I co-founded a startup (now 14 years old) that develops hardware and software solutions for very large integrated circuit design houses in order to manage their design data reliably and securely.
    Wait you worked at DSRC? My Dad worked there!
    12-28-2016 05:55 PM
    Wait you worked at DSRC? My Dad worked there!
    Yes I worked there for years. I guess I just blew hiding my age I also spent time there when it was called "The Labs" and won the very last David Sarnoff Technical Excellence Award for my work in gate-level logic simulation. If you want, PM me with your dad's name and I'll let you know if I remember him.
    12-28-2016 08:19 PM
    OK, no matter is you are 80 years old, what a great life if you enjoyed doing all that research, I think it's great time to be alive, could be better if we all could access to all the technology around, but at least what we are getting is pretty amazing.
    12-29-2016 11:44 PM
    OK, no matter is you are 80 years old, what a great life if you enjoyed doing all that research, I think it's great time to be alive, could be better if we all could access to all the technology around, but at least what we are getting is pretty amazing.
    Thanks, I've had an amazing journey and met a lot of incredible people along the way. I'm here to feed off you young pups and help where I can.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-30-2016 03:24 PM
    Thanks, I've had an amazing journey and met a lot of incredible people along the way. I'm here to feed off you young pups and help where I can.
    I you have kids I hope they take advantages of growing with the knowledge you can bring them.

Any of them interesting in tech? how do you think VR/AR will be in the near future?

Do you think regular people will develop in one way and the big companies will do it in another direction? I mean, like this one, a single person is using two big brands devices together to do something that doesn't look like the big brands are interested in right now.
    12-30-2016 03:39 PM
    I you have kids I hope they take advantages of growing with the knowledge you can bring them.

Any of them interesting in tech? how do you think VR/AR will be in the near future?

Do you think regular people will develop in one way and the big companies will do it in another direction? I mean, like this one, a single person is using two big brands devices together to do something that doesn't look like the big brands are interested in right now.
    Most of the kids are interested in tech now a days. Tablets everywhere and even schools. As for the vr portion far to expensive vs convience but i think it could be harnessed for learning. I see vr mostly as a console/pc thing for game(just me). Also some of the brands really do like their exclusiveness but in the end I think we'll always want our freedom and try to rig stuff together creating new markets and solutions.
    12-30-2016 05:33 PM
    Yes, the most of VR marketing is related with Gaming, but if you see this forum you will find a lot of info of how VR is used for a lot of things like learning, medical training and treatments, meditation, and so much more, actually the United Nations is using for social awareness in a lot of ways.

I think that's something we (community and companies) need to change in order to get the most of this tech.
    12-30-2016 06:20 PM