So Pixel XL new flagship powered by Google already had expectations that it gonna peirce the market ..And Google Daydream is Helping hand too...!!!When its the turn of Samsung ..it failed with Note7. After the damage done to the Galaxy brand from the exploding Note 7 debacle, will Gear VR have lost some of its luster too? Is this a prime opportunity for Google to step in?
    10-18-2016 02:59 AM
    It's not going to be a problem for Gear VR. Remember, most mobile phone customers get their phones in the US from a carrier store or a big box. Samsung has made sure that Gear VR gets a front and center position.

As a mobile carrier employee, the biggest downer to a customer is that it doesn't work with iPhone. Most of my customers don't even know the Pixel exists. I have not had anyone ask about it except on the day after the announcement.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-18-2016 04:42 AM
    So Pixel XL new flagship powered by Google already had expectations that it gonna peirce the market ..And Google Daydream is Helping hand too...!!!When its the turn of Samsung ..it failed with Note7. After the damage done to the Galaxy brand from the exploding Note 7 debacle, will Gear VR have lost some of its luster too? Is this a prime opportunity for Google to step in?
    Well I think it should affect Gear VR! I've seen people say how lightweight it is, the material is comfy, like a fabric or outfit, designed to be something that you can wear like fashion. PLUS the price is cheaper at $79. And the Gear VR is heavy (one gear is, another is pretty light, I don't know how many gears Samsung hasI'm new to VR) and plasticky.
    I DO think it SHOULD affect Gear VR!

BUT, as Krisguy said, no one knows about Google products. Samsung is huge! We can see its ads everywhere! Well it will dent Samsung's portion but just a tinyyy bit probablysuch as for people like me a Nexus user. I would definitely go for Daydream View over Gear VR!

As for whether Gear VR could be affected by Note 7, I'm not sure, let's see. But it could be. As more people think Samsung's products are risky. I hope Sammy can contain the incident to only Note 7if just 1 more mobile device explodes, then Samsung Mobile is done. But I'm sure people definitely don't want to use Note 7 on Gear VR and blow their eyes off.
    10-18-2016 11:23 AM
    I've still seen some people say that Samsung can pry their Note 7s from their hands to get them back. They've got device loyalty, but I wonder long it will last after this mess.
    10-18-2016 12:02 PM
    I think the Note 7's demise will have the biggest impact on the Gear VR's user base.
    When the latest and greatest from Samsung has a public relations nightmare like this, it turns a lot of Samsung buyers off. Those are the people they rely on.

I think the biggest impact from the actual Daydream platform will be if developers begin to focus on that and stop/slow development for Gear VR. Content is king, and without constant, new content, you're done. If the actual userbase for Daydream exceeds Gear VR, they could run into issues.
    10-18-2016 12:36 PM
    I personally don't care about the samsuck Gear VR. I had enough with samsuck android, the hardware is usually nice, but the software is atrocious. The fact that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$'$re$ $building$ $their$ $own$ $walled$ $garden$ $of$ $a$ $VR$ $platform$ $just$ $makes$ $it$ $suck$ $even$ $more$.
    10-18-2016 01:21 PM
    It's not their walled garden, it's Oculus'. Remember, Gear VR is based off of Oculus' APIs and development.
    10-18-2016 01:54 PM
    The Note 7 debacle won't mean anything, at least to the US market. For America, Samsung IS Android. Our populace is too used to eating at the trough of whatever marketing slop is fed to them. Nobody here knows HTC, LG, Moto, and all of these other companies are cranking out awesome phones because they just don't have the marketing budget.
    10-19-2016 01:20 AM
    The Note 7 debacle won't mean anything, at least to the US market. For America, Samsung IS Android. Our populace is too used to eating at the trough of whatever marketing slop is fed to them. Nobody here knows HTC, LG, Moto, and all of these other companies are cranking out awesome phones because they just don't have the marketing budget.
    Sorry if that comes off as bitter, but yeah, I'm bitter.
    10-19-2016 01:21 AM
    i think not really affecting at all.
    10-19-2016 07:34 AM
    I personally don't care about the samsuck Gear VR. I had enough with samsuck android, the hardware is usually nice, but the software is atrocious. The fact that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$'$re$ $building$ $their$ $own$ $walled$ $garden$ $of$ $a$ $VR$ $platform$ $just$ $makes$ $it$ $suck$ $even$ $more$.
    I stopped reading at "samsuck". Honestly, acting childish isn't a good way to make a point, you invalidated your opinion before you even finished it.
    10-19-2016 08:51 AM
    Since there now have been reports of Iphones having the same issue im sure the focus on the note 7 will shift & they will regain their trust with their new release coming up soon.
    10-19-2016 10:50 AM
    Remember, the stores most people go to to get devices in the US is carrier stores. Pixel is VZW exclusive. I'm not even allowed to bring it up at my store.
    10-19-2016 06:04 PM
    Remember, the stores most people go to to get devices in the US is carrier stores. Pixel is VZW exclusive. I'm not even allowed to bring it up at my store.
    It's as if Google doesn't want it to be too successful. Similar to the Nexus line. You'd think with their Pixel line they'd go all in, especially now that Samsung is screwing up.
    10-21-2016 01:20 AM